SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:29 AM
Tom Bass Park RC Nonconformist
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2007
923 Posts
Discussion
Glassing Dollar Tree Foam Board?

I recently started a Light Mod 22" P51 Foamy with no paper skin. I removed all the paper covering and made the fuse out of 4 Ply of this foam. The wings are 2 Ply of this foam too, with air foiled wings to boot. Now, I did noticed that now that I have done 1/2 of the build.. the foam is very soft and easily scored by almost anything.

I ordered some .75 glassing cloth from this place

http://www.thayercraft.com/Style%20106.htm

@ $14.00 for it I couldn't pass on the price. Has anyone ever glassed a foamy this small before? Would it even be worth it? Might be able to last a little longer than having nothing at all to protect it from the inevitable bad landing or wing to ground contact..

I tried to do a search on the subject but, found little to no real answers.. Any input would be greatly appreciated..

I will post pictures of the 51 later tonight.. There are no plans at this point, but will post the name from which plans I got the idea from...but did no follow for the most part.. The original plan called for ribbed wings and compartmented fuse etc.. I just traced the outline and started with a profile Foamy.. ended up with a 1/2 full fuse... Go figure !!!
Cdr.Instigator is offline Find More Posts by Cdr.Instigator
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:43 AM
United States, HI, Kapolei
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
CI, i'm really looking forward to see the pics and see how it turns out.
i have been curious for awhile but, since i have never glassed anything before i am afraid that i'll do it wrong and waste some $$.
goodluck, hoping everything turns out great.
smkn951 is offline Find More Posts by smkn951
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:08 PM
ST.LOUIS
Joined Aug 2006
1,999 Posts
Haven't glassed, but had good luck on foam using Water based polyurethane spray and tissure paper. The colored paper is great.
DRITCH is offline Find More Posts by DRITCH
Old Apr 26, 2008, 04:32 AM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
I am also interested in this idea. Never done a plane this way before.
Dritch... Does the tissue material add a bit of surface hardness? I must assume fiberglass will be stronger, yet heavier, but how does the tissue hold up?
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Apr 26, 2008, 03:40 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,737 Posts
Try this thread, J Morgan is very respected in the pusher Prop section as well in the Warbird area. If J morgan says it I belive him!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=161218

Also Corsair Nut , another well respected Builder in the various Jet Forums is using Elmers Woodworking glue thinned with water and says it comes out " wicked Light"
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD
Old Apr 26, 2008, 04:23 PM
Tom Bass Park RC Nonconformist
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Dec 2007
923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCLOUD
Try this thread, J Morgan is very respected in the pusher Prop section as well in the Warbird area. If J morgan says it I belive him!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=161218

Also Corsair Nut , another well respected Builder in the various Jet Forums is using Elmers Woodworking glue thinned with water and says it comes out " wicked Light"

OMG !!

The mother of all info I needed.. Thank you very much RWCloud. That's the thread and all the info I needed..

Cdr.Instigator is offline Find More Posts by Cdr.Instigator
Old Apr 26, 2008, 09:29 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,737 Posts
You're welcom
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD