SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 25, 2008, 05:28 AM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,327 Posts
Question
DX7 - Blown fuse issue

My new DX7 - One week old just blew a fuse tonight. Been using it all day without fault, went to charge it this evening -

Stuck it on my charger (Hyperion eos606i) at a rate of .7A, and the charger gave me an error - No Battery, I thought what???? so i tried turning the radio on and nothing happened, unplugged and replugged the battery and still zippo. Opened up the case to see if anything was obviously wrong and spotted the fuse on the main board is blown!

What could have caused this??? is .7A too high a charge rate??? I crank up my futaba gear at 1.2A's when in a hurry and havent had an issue in a year of using it.

Does anyone know the rating of this fuse so I can change it, or am I better off just taking it back in and im guessing not being able to fly for a week while it gets sent off. (supposed to go flying again tommorrow )

I thought it was an awesome radio until it did this

Any advice appreciated
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2008, 06:26 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister
What could have caused this??? is .7A too high a charge rate??? I crank up my futaba gear at 1.2A's when in a hurry and havent had an issue in a year of using it.
Any advice appreciated
You are aware that JR/Spektrum and Futaba have reversed polarity on the charging socket?

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Apr 25, 2008, 08:36 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,244 Posts
No need to send it in, just replace the fuse you blew by trying to charge with the polarity reversed. The fuse should be a fast blow 3A fuse.
As Jurgen said, JR/Spektrum use the reverse polarity on their charge jack from everybody else, center pin is negative and the barrel is positive.
Good luck,
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:05 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister
I thought it was an awesome radio until it did this
It IS a nice radio. It did NOT Do this - you did it to it by plugging it into the charger in reverse.

Using Hitec, Futaba and JR/Spektrum radios, I'm really happy with my Accu-Cycle Elite - it will detect reverse battery polarity and will not cause any damage to the battery or radio. Won't even blow the fuse in a JR/Spektrum radio.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 25, 2008, 03:08 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,327 Posts
I didnt reverse charge it - should have said in the first post. Double checked to make sure i didnt, I use the same charge lead as my futaba but just reverse the banana plugs for the spektrum. My charger wouldve given a reverse polarity error if I did it anyway, (did it once with futaba). How does .7A blow a 3A fuse????

Still Do not understand why it blew.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 04:57 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,327 Posts
Replaced the fuse.

Are you positive that this is a 3A fuse? Because it seriously looks like .3A is stamped on it. Maybe someone at the spektrum factory didnt see the little "."3A

Ive replaced it with a 3A at shes back up and running.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 06:33 PM
United Kingdom, Slough
Joined Aug 2003
1,966 Posts
It is definitely a 3A fuse.

One of the problems with these sets is that there is no diode in the circuit. On occasion when inserting the charge lead, it can cause a short especially if the connector is worn or of the wrong style. No diode, current drawn, bang goes fuse.
theaton56 is offline Find More Posts by theaton56