HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:49 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
mono boat plans

Hope you find the motor to fit your needs. I just was scooping the loop and was looking for boat plans and saw where the strakes were left original shape they were bought. Heres a TIP; take a 3" plane and plane the strakes flat so they look like steps going into your house. Reason is it raises the boat up at transom and increases speed and less horsepower is needed to move the mono. Now as pictured , strakes cause drag and when strakes are planed down and flat leave a sharp edge to aide in turning. When i buy a hull, i make strakes run right up to the transom. Most always strakes are already built in but i make the extension of the strake, i widen to 1/2" and make them flat and blend in where built in strakes end and new 1/2" start so you get a smooth flow of water. Most times i don't need trim tabs as i put motor and batts real close to CG lines with batts on each side of motor, makes for almost flat running boat.
Mikedown is offline Find More Posts by Mikedown
Last edited by Mikedown; Jan 01, 2010 at 10:08 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2009, 05:15 PM
Joined Apr 2008
19 Posts
to make this stupidly lite could you use a covering like for planes on the bottom insted of the balsa/ply
Dare_Devil is offline Find More Posts by Dare_Devil
Old Feb 03, 2010, 10:12 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
small 18" boat

Another boat real close to this one is the Electrafied. I just made it 19 1/2" with a tapered nose like this one but this one has cjime linesticking out aliitle further to keep water from splashing onto top. I do have a suggestion on the servo rod thru transom; use 1/8" plastic tube thru transom and add grease into tube to keep water out. I know it sounds small but use thinner piano wire and make bends inside or outside for smooth movement. Make rudder out of brass that is 1/32" and they have 2 thicknesses in the 1/32" brass and get the stiffer one and then for turn fins use the stiff 1/32" brass too. Rudder ; use 3/16" solid brass rod and then use brass tubing for rod holder.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 07:56 AM
Bob
Texas
Joined Dec 2010
1 Posts
Drive and parts

I am new to boat building. Can more detail and parts needed for the drive? Also what type of rudder was used and where can it be purchased?
v333bob is offline Find More Posts by v333bob
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:45 AM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
boat

Piece of cake.
Last edited by Mikedown; Jan 04, 2011 at 08:48 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 10:13 PM
Matthew Bailey
ringwood, victoria, australia
Joined Jan 2011
1 Posts
i like this boat i made one with my friend his is a mini of this and is still trying to over come the issues of the ''weight'' and i am now making a fiberglass model after my balsa one
rcman182 is offline Find More Posts by rcman182
Old Jun 17, 2011, 01:20 PM
Agressive driver
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2011
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewound View Post
...your wish is my command...

above is the full hull with the 3 cell lipo and gear arrangment...the battery on one side of the drive shaft and the radio,reciever and speed control on the other has made for even trim. The foam is for catching the usual few drips of water coming up the stuffing box...I would rather have a few drips of water than putting grease in the stuffing box adding drag.

I use a coat of model dope to seal the wood then a couple of high build car primer rubbed out then a couple of coats of laquer paint wet sanded with 1200grit...then brasso...then a coat of canuba.

above is the hull with an eight cell 2/3A stick.
Do you have a list of all of the parts that you used? I am new here. I want to build one of these boats, and I have some woodworking experience, but I cannot figure out what parts I should use, and how I should run the driveshaft through the hull. And do you hav any speed estimate for how fast your setup goes?

Thanks, Zane
zanek is offline Find More Posts by zanek
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:18 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jul 2006
1,474 Posts
18"

Pictures of boat show a straight shaft which will extend about
3 " from transom and front edge of rudder will be the same distance as the drive dog. The shaft beyond transom will be 1 1/2" from rudder blade. Now to make rudder out of brass; go to Blew By You web site. BBY and look up micro patriot mono showing transom which will give you a good view of rudder.
Old Sep 02, 2011, 04:44 PM
Timmyg
Joined Sep 2011
4 Posts
Just started making this myself

Hi...just stared making this...will try upload some pics tomoz dunno if u can on iPad mind u...I've ordered a rc boat off eBay got it for 20 pound so should have have all the internals I need from that I hope...if it works!!!!...
timmyg1984 is offline Find More Posts by timmyg1984
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:04 AM
Switzerland
Joined Dec 2010
56 Posts
[QUOTE]Hi...just stared making this...will try upload some pics tomoz dunno if u can on iPad mind u...I've ordered a rc boat off eBay got it for 20 pound so should have have all the internals I need from that I hope...if it works!!!!.../QUOTE]

any progress?
balsapilot is offline Find More Posts by balsapilot
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Mar 2012
14 Posts
could i shrink the plans, how about turn fins and does it hop?

cheers

lachlan
lachlan7 is offline Find More Posts by lachlan7
Old Aug 25, 2012, 08:32 PM
Midland Tx
Joined Nov 2010
59 Posts
I have decided to build one of these beauties
I am using foam then covering in 2 layers news paper laqure and one on the inside for water proofing
I would like to leave the bottom clean and instead use the small aluminum or carbon turn fins from ose
I want it to be almost to fast for the hull and would like to continue with the light and efficient and steer clear of going to heavy with the power setup
I would like suggestions for the power setup and I don't know if an ofset or inline rudder would be most stable
Looking_Up is offline Find More Posts by Looking_Up
Old Aug 28, 2012, 02:20 PM
Midland Tx
Joined Nov 2010
59 Posts
I havent heard anything but would i be able to use a park 480 outrunner and a 25 or 30 a speed control and just air cool
if so what props might i consider and is my above design going to be sufficient
or could i posibly use the small outboard from ose
Looking_Up is offline Find More Posts by Looking_Up
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:48 AM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
Hi guys
Frank Harraway is offline Find More Posts by Frank Harraway
Last edited by Frank Harraway; Oct 31, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
:Hi i di this project and it worked quite well , but we felt that it should be a bit bigger so we made it about 2 inches bigger. It is a very succesful project. Ill show u guys my boat know
Frank Harraway is offline Find More Posts by Frank Harraway