HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 29, 2008, 03:59 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,617 Posts
please forgive my humble scratching, its been years since I've done any drafting. anyway my generic turnfin, feel free to modify the design(since it has never been made(that I know of) or tested, it may or may not need refinement. hth
rex
edit
when sharpening, you bevel one side only. bevel goes on the side away from the boat(right side for right turnfin, leftside for left fin)
Rex R is offline Find More Posts by Rex R
Last edited by Rex R; Apr 29, 2008 at 04:07 AM. Reason: mindfart
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2008, 06:45 AM
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Joined Dec 2004
992 Posts
Cool, Pimp my address is fhhobbies@mts.net if ya want to send CAD files, ty!
FHHOBBIES is offline Find More Posts by FHHOBBIES
Old May 01, 2008, 08:40 PM
Joined Mar 2008
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex R
please forgive my humble scratching, its been years since I've done any drafting. anyway my generic turnfin, feel free to modify the design(since it has never been made(that I know of) or tested, it may or may not need refinement. hth
rex
edit
when sharpening, you bevel one side only. bevel goes on the side away from the boat(right side for right turnfin, leftside for left fin)
Great job...your humble scratching is much appreciated...one of our clan will be making us up a batch.
Rewound is offline Find More Posts by Rewound
Old May 01, 2008, 09:09 PM
full time pirate
The Great White North
Joined Jun 2004
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rewound
Great job...your humble scratching is much appreciated...one of our clan will be making us up a batch.
Mind mailing me a pair? I can paypal for cost of shipping and whatever the guy making them wants as compensation for time/materials.
pimp_squeak is offline Find More Posts by pimp_squeak
Old May 01, 2008, 09:34 PM
Joined Mar 2008
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp_squeak
Mind mailing me a pair? I can paypal for cost of shipping and whatever the guy making them wants as compensation for time/materials.
He is going to make up a couple of dif sizes that we are going to try next week ...before hacking up a bunch of alumnium...but I will put a pair aside and let you know when we have a winner.
Old May 02, 2008, 12:37 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,617 Posts
I note that the super vee's turn fin is pretty much a simple square...just about any turnfin will be better than no turnfin. you don't want them to 'drag' when the boat is running straight.
Rex R is offline Find More Posts by Rex R
Old May 02, 2008, 01:17 AM
full time pirate
The Great White North
Joined Jun 2004
323 Posts
Quote:
He is going to make up a couple of dif sizes that we are going to try next week ...before hacking up a bunch of alumnium...but I will put a pair aside and let you know when we have a winner.
Perfect, send me a PM when you've got it all figured out and I'll paypal the cash ^_^
Old May 02, 2008, 01:32 AM
3d and other
los angeles
Joined Jan 2004
1,061 Posts
pimp squeak...export as pdf or dxf.
kevbeer is offline Find More Posts by kevbeer
Old May 02, 2008, 05:04 PM
Victoria Inner Harb, Canada
Joined Dec 2003
100 Posts
Rewound, would you like me to post the prop test vid?

Tutor
tutor is offline Find More Posts by tutor
Old May 02, 2008, 05:47 PM
full time pirate
The Great White North
Joined Jun 2004
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbeer
pimp squeak...export as pdf or dxf.

hm?
Old May 02, 2008, 08:58 PM
Joined Mar 2008
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tutor
Rewound, would you like me to post the prop test vid?Tutor

...I did not know we had some...yes please!
Old May 02, 2008, 09:43 PM
Victoria Inner Harb, Canada
Joined Dec 2003
100 Posts

here is a vid I shot of the prop testing on Wed

Tutor
tutor is offline Find More Posts by tutor
Old Oct 04, 2008, 10:59 PM
Joined May 2008
137 Posts
Quote:
We are at the moment trying both...In mine 3/4 of the prop is in the water when the boat gets on plane...two of the other boats are running with the prop 1/2 way in the water...so far the jury is still out which will be the best in the end...right now the 1/2 submerged is showing the same speed and drawing a little less amps.

Thanks for the interest.
correct me if im wrong but, if the prop is halfway in the water would'nt it cavitate?
larsob801 is offline Find More Posts by larsob801
Old Oct 04, 2008, 11:04 PM
Joined May 2008
137 Posts
Quote:
We are at the moment trying both...In mine 3/4 of the prop is in the water when the boat gets on plane...two of the other boats are running with the prop 1/2 way in the water...so far the jury is still out which will be the best in the end...right now the 1/2 submerged is showing the same speed and drawing a little less amps.

Thanks for the interest.
correct me if im wrong, but if the prop is halfway out of the water wouldn't it cavitate?
larsob801 is offline Find More Posts by larsob801
Old Oct 05, 2008, 09:23 AM
dry docked
Oneonta, NY
Joined Oct 2006
158 Posts
no, it would be a surface-piercing propeller. This actually eliminates cavitation and as this article suggests, replaces it with ventilation.

http://www.well.com/~pk/SPAprofboat.html

Almost all fast electric rc boats use surface-piercing props, the main class of NON-surface(subsurface) racing boats are the ECO class, which is raced mainly in Europe.
quicksilver is offline Find More Posts by quicksilver