HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:54 PM
Suspended Account
Mokena,Illinois -United States
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Dude I totally forgot about those vids!!! Thanks Brent now you really have me begging. Being two 70mm fans How big of double packs is safe to use in this one? Two 4000 4s be alright?
lavochkin is offline Find More Posts by lavochkin
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Well Id be using the twin big jet screamers. It should haul, but more importantly look good doing it!!!
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:02 AM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,171 Posts
I'd love one and I'd pay the money for the kit ... if only I had the skill to build it. Your original F-5 is easily my favorite version of that plane I've run across. You said a kit would include everything except some minor hardware - I'm assuming it would be retract-ready but none included? Not really small hardware, but I just didn't expect it to be included.
PerlAddict is offline Find More Posts by PerlAddict
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:03 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,533 Posts
brent i hope you can design around the JHH mini's or spring air 602's.i got the system working in my Draken and with one Dave Brown restrictor in the line it has a nice slow mains frist then nose retract speed...no slaming and banging. you should do what ever to get a good gear in it with the bigger motors and batts the one you used are on the edge. the HET gear might be good too. that still is one striking aircraft.
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:11 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2006
5,826 Posts
Hell it doesnt matter to me....spring air/Jhh mini/tams mini etc... all are excellent! How about the spring air 700 series with the trunions that except robart type oleo struts?
How about these? Its funny how they are cheaper than their micro's, but all are superb quality!!! http://www.modelaviationproducts.com..._retracts.html
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:14 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,533 Posts
well it's going to depend on the air foil thickness.the gear are way out in the wing.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:26 AM
Joined Sep 2006
1,534 Posts
That looks so good I can't tell it's made from depron sheet. But $500 is out of my league.
rcboosted is offline Find More Posts by rcboosted
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:18 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Feb 2008
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcboosted
That looks so good I can't tell it's made from depron sheet. But $500 is out of my league.
agreed, foam jet should be around 200-275 dollars or less.
You can even get those big RTF jets for that price range.

I hope the new F-5E MkII will have enough room
to stuff that magnificient 4000 watt Tam's 100mm fan
in it. That would be awesome performance with
Velocity coming out the tailpipe at 223mph.

BTW, IMHO, anything of the power level of more
that 2 horsepowers, 1 horsepower ≡746 W, should use better
material like Fiberglass for it is in high performance class.

Depron is only great for that flat-plate 3D plane kind of thing.
Above certain level of power, the material becomes critical
for high performance.

here is that 4000 watt 100mm fan

tail-heavy is offline Find More Posts by tail-heavy
Last edited by tail-heavy; Apr 25, 2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 02:19 PM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,533 Posts
say what ...glassed depron is just as good as balsa/glassed ...and it is lighter,and does'nt cost as much.have you seen my F-4D and it is'nt glassed ,a few pieces of wood here and there and it's all good ...depron is the new balsa to me,my Draken is going to be high perf.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 02:37 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined Feb 2008
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR SALLY
say what ...glassed depron is just as good as balsa/glassed ...and it is lighter,and does'nt cost as much.have you seen my F-4D and it is'nt glassed ,a few pieces of wood here and there and it's all good ...depron is the new balsa to me,my Draken is going to be high perf.

yup, maybe "depron" is the future material of
all high energy hotrods, high performance Jets.
Just like the way, in real life, The late F-35's airframe makes
heavy use of "composite materials"

tail-heavy is offline Find More Posts by tail-heavy
Old Apr 25, 2008, 02:37 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,595 Posts
tail heavy, this will be glassed. it wont be able to fit tams fan. its not tall enough to fit. once glassed, it will be more than strong enough to withstand 2.5KW. any yes, 500$ is alot, but these are hand made, and its a SCALE model...no short cuts, no enlarged wings. its a kit for those who know how to build. this is no arf. if you can find me a 70" long, scale F-5...for less than 500$....ill buy it
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Apr 25, 2008, 03:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
302 Posts
For another $200 you could have a real model, all molded, and painted, and bigger, too, from Feibao.
doppler1 is offline Find More Posts by doppler1
Old Apr 25, 2008, 03:54 PM
USA, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Sep 2006
2,171 Posts
Limited number runs ain't cheap, folks. The less you make, the more they cost. But you'll have something unique once it's all said and done.
PerlAddict is offline Find More Posts by PerlAddict
Old Apr 25, 2008, 04:14 PM
MAR
Houston, Tx
Joined Jun 2004
613 Posts
I know about hand cut kits for i've been in the process of putting together our own products.
Yes, hand cut kits and those mass produced are two different types of breeds.
Most of the time and usually the quality is always better when its a custom kit then when its a mass produced kit. Dont get me wrong though, there are some nice kits out there that are mass produced.

$500 might sound a bit steep but then again some of the work will probably have to be out sourced, so therefore there are cost to that as well.

Coming from the manufacturing side, I would be more than happy to help out Corsair Nut with this project. I've got CNC machines that are ready to do their first cuts for customers.......

Brent,

Shoot me a call when you get a chance........

Orlando
marineA4 is offline Find More Posts by marineA4
Old Apr 25, 2008, 04:39 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
21,595 Posts
dopler 1...then go buy a Feibao. their arfs area bout 1200$ normally, + 3000$ turbine...plus a really good radio...antoher grand. this is about building something from scratch. when you tell people its made from depron, they crap their pants. you wont see me spending 5-6,000$ on any model any time soon. you need to consider, this is a large model, lots of materials, all hand made by me. there will be considerable time spent cutting all parts, making fiberglass ducts, ect ect. if the idea of spending 500$ on a kit isnt apealing to you, then there are plenty of other edf options out there. none of which are 1/8 scale F-5's..or scale ones at that. infact, it accualy about 73"...my last one ended up short in the nose, that was a building issue, and it was my fault so this one will accualy be about 73" long. as soon as i get back from SEFF, ill be all over this. im also in the process of making a 70mm A-4 plug for a high end jet company.
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Last edited by corsair nut; Apr 25, 2008 at 04:45 PM.