HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2003, 12:11 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,931 Posts
My own design scratchbuilt Sopwith 'strutter for IPS power

Hi all,

The rain is pouring down, but I'm building a new WWI bipe, a Sopwith Halfstrutter for GWS IPS "A" power. Here is what I've got finished so far. It has a 30" WS, about 230 sq. in. area, and if I'm truely lucky, maybe it won't weigh more than 8 oz AUW. I'll be flying it on 7 GP 370 nimh cells. This is my own design, obtained from the outline of some factory three views I found while websurfing. The structure is a little lighter than I usually build, but I'm also using a bit of printer paper that is inkjet colored, plus the cockpit openings are surrounded with foamcore for the (sp?> combing. If the IPS drive does'nt cut it I've got a CD-ROM geardrive that will up the thrust a bit.
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Last edited by Looooeeee!; Feb 26, 2012 at 10:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2003, 12:17 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,931 Posts
More pictures..

The main structure is just average quality Midwest 3/32nd" balsa from Craft World, here in North Bend. It is about as close a you get to a hobby shop, for these parts. This may seem flimsy, but the wood is pretty strong compared to contest grade, and I've yet to bust up my Brisfit or SE5 built out of the same grade wood. I've had some less than stellar landings with both. I'll have the interplane struts on tomorrow, they're drying after I stained them. The engine cowling is from a PETE, Calistoga flavored selter water bottle heat shrunk onto an old wheat germ glass container, which just happened to be the right size for the nose.

Best's

Looee
Old Jan 14, 2003, 02:31 AM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,602 Posts
DANG, you read my mind. I've got plans for a free flight Neuport 11 photo-enlarged up to 30 inches and it's NEXT on the building board for the same equipment.

You're construction mirrors what I'm planning exactly. Light weight and functional rigging. 1/32 ribs and nose sheeting around the cowling and 3/32 medium and hard for all the rest. Just a bit of 3/32 sheet for the curved outlines. Jap tissue and dope for the covering.

I'm planning on running coupled ailerons and rudder on the 11. Gotta be able to do those low altitude Immelmans...

At 8 oz's it'll be fine. I weighed the Lite Stik that my motor came with and it was 8 1/2 oz in flying trim. If your's comes out a little heavy then look into the Li-poly cells. More duraton and less weight by about 1/2 for the pack. That's what I'm planning on.

What's the empty weight on the airframe so far? The Lite Stik with no gear or motor was 2 1/2 oz just before it went into the dumpster. If you're looking at 2 oz for the uncovered frame then you're in like Flint...
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jan 14, 2003, 11:03 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,931 Posts
BMatthews,

Thank you, and have a good build with your Neuiport, I've got GHMBO's Neuiport 17 plans scaled and printed for an IPS system too. I'm not going the aileron route, though I feel that I should have more dihedral on my 'strutter than what I've included. I guess I followed the 3-view a little too closely.

My frame as you see it is 2 oz. even, so it's looking good eh?

Best's

Looee
Old Jan 14, 2003, 12:07 PM
Langley,B.C,Canada
Joined Jul 2002
1,214 Posts
To Looooeeee,

Nice looking so far!

I just recently finished a similiar project. (28" Camel) with same power system. It flies beautiful. 15 minute flight times.

An important factor as you may know is: Mount gear and servos as far forward as possible. Use pull-pull system. Make sure the tail incidence has some positive to the thrust line.

I also built the WWI type suspension with bungee (small cut elastic band) which made landings and take-offs very smooth.

Landings are always throttle controlled only.

The best prop for this set-up was a cut-down slow-fly 10x80.

I`m sure you`ll do fine and you will enjoy it. One of my favourites for sure.

Cheers

Warren
Warren Jones is offline Find More Posts by Warren Jones
Old Jan 14, 2003, 12:11 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Looee

Great stuff! Should fly a treat - the 1-1/2 Strutter (which was an unofficial name, that everyone used, instead of the boringly official "Sopwith Type 2400" ) is one of those natural fliers. You might have to up the dihedral a tadger, but probably not.

Okay - soft spot here, it's my favourite WW1 bipe, though I lean to the single seat bomber meeself.

What colours you using? It flew for many countries, I've got colours for the RFC, RNAS, French, Belgian and Dutch air arms. Others users - Japan, the US, Russia and Brazil! A lot, fortunately for us, lean to Litespan dark green on top, "linen" or "antique" underneath.

If you want a good reference on the 2 holer, Windsock Datafile # 34 covers the type - I got mine from Bill Hannan. You could talk me into scanning a colour page, but it would be too big to post here and be meaningful. In the meantime ...
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jan 14, 2003, 12:28 PM
bath.somerset
Joined May 2002
20 Posts
Looking good,i love these small scale models,and it looks like you are doing a fine construction job on her,i lookforward to seeing the finished project Good luck

Eindecker
eindecker is offline Find More Posts by eindecker
Old Jan 14, 2003, 01:11 PM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Boomer in Florida........
Nice Job as usual Loooeee! No carnage is allowed until I at least see her fly! Just returned from the park! Winds to 12mph Temp=62 but flew the SS/J3 for an hour! Into the wind it would move in short bursts... Touch and goes were hairy! Glad I put on the IPS D w/13 X 6.5 prop or I wouldn't have been able to fly! I'm tempted to replace all my A motors with this little jewel if the 13" will clear the ground!
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Jan 14, 2003, 01:13 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,931 Posts
Hi Dereck, Warren

Warren, I've followed your post's of your Camel with interest, I'm in this WWI bipe obsession now and a Camel would be the next plane, maybe, after a Neuiport 17, or a Thomas Morse SC or a Pup.
I've got this tapestreamer motor which has a big flat rotating shell that seems a natural for a balanced foamcore constructed mock-up of a rotary engine. It just seems a shame to build a scale model of a rotary powered ship that has a static engine under the cowl.

Dereck.

I now realize that my final color choice will probably have not existed in historical records. But, I've already got the tissue colored up from my inkjet printer. I'm going with the forest green that you see in the piccies, one rondrel on the fuse, same green topsides, both wings, four rondrels on wings and a tail flash, muslin undersides all. I know, BORING!

I was smitten earlier with the image from Memorial Flight Association of the silver 'strutter with the Egyptian eagle motif on the side, but I don't think it would work in well with the green. And I've yet to find a clear .JPG image of that icon on the web, I spent an entire night searching.

I'll post some LG detail too as I went with a sprung axle for this ship. Thanks all, I'm really fired up to finish this plane.

Looee
Old Jan 14, 2003, 01:53 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Looee
Given that the wrangle over what shade of green, brown or greenie-brownie "PC 10" really was, you're as correct as anyone else.

In the meantime, there were a lot of Strutters in basic green top / clear doped bottom, if jazzed up with sqn. markings somewhat.

Have a basic one.

FWIW - this is the colour scheme seen around plenty on the old British "Veron" 1-1/2 Strutter kit. Around 48" span, it committed aviation on a 20-ish glow and three channel control - these decals came in the kit, hence the popularity. With dummy rigging and interplane struts, it had banded on wings and really looked good. Its flying qualities for a lightly aerobatic three channel bipe were superb and, IIRC, it was pretty close to scale in most outlines. If the kit plan could be unearthed, it would make a superb electric model - it's all about spot on for a geared rig or an AXI 2820/10 on 8 - 10 cells.

Regards

Dereck
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jan 14, 2003, 03:55 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,602 Posts
Just a thought but if you think you're a little shy on the dihedral and you're using the bracing "wires" what about using the threads to pull in a little extra dihedral? It'll form a curve in the wings but an extra 1/4 inch shouldn't be TOO noticable and that much will make a noticable difference to your rudder response.

Probably try it as is and keep this idea as an option.

And the 2 oz is super. At the very least it'll fly as well as a Lite Stick which for a scale model of this type is fine....
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Jan 24, 2003, 04:34 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,931 Posts
More Halfstrutter build pictures

I'm making some progress, suffice to say its getting a bit heavy, I think over 9 oz, with present gear. I'm still pleased.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 04:36 PM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,931 Posts
more..

Old Jan 24, 2003, 10:52 PM
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
Joined Nov 2001
3,504 Posts
Awesome work Looee! You might consider posting a link to this over in the parkflyer section as well. I believe there would be a lot of interest from that forum. Anyway, excellent work!

-Mike
KSU Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KSU Flyer
Old Jan 25, 2003, 01:10 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,931 Posts
Hi Mike

I actually did earlier today, but, *sniff*, no-one replied. So I'm waiting till I'm a little more finished with it and then I'll pull the brushless suprize out of the bag on 'em. ( Nnyah ah hah!)

BTW I really liked your Bearcat and Corsair conversion threads

Thanks

Looee