HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2003, 09:30 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Slow Stick on Kokams.... or how long can you take it?

Holy cow, I flew the Slow Stick on Kokams this evening. Due to the amp draw of the motor (8.3 amps at WOT), it required a doubled up set of 2 cell 1020 packs. A 2070 pack would work as well, but I'm working with what I have on hand I started flying at dusk with the light set on. I pulled out a patio chair and had a seat after 15 minutes. I later got called in for dinner which is just as well, I was getting pretty cold! I landed and checked the watch- 28:50. I checked the pack voltage before recharging and I had easily another 5 minutes and maybe 10! Power was definitely getting soft towards the end, but I still had power to loop from level flight at 20 minutes!

Looping the SS is such a kick, it's like slow motion! You'd swear there's no way it'll make it over, it just looks like it's going too slow. But up and over it goes! It actually holds inverted for a while too. It drops, but not like my Moth does. I've got my several aerobatic planes for flying inverted all day long, but it's just got to be tried on the SS anyway

Power was better throughout the flight than the 8x720 I flew on it before. Plus the Kokams are 1/2 ounce lighter!

I'm curious how this flight time compares to what ya'll are getting. I don't remember seeing any times posted. I got about 7 minutes off the 8x720, I'm sure that would have gone up had a cycled the pack a few times. But 30 minutes on the Kokams is tough to beat, especially considering their light weight!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2003, 01:14 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
I've got some 1020 kokams coming and will be doing the exact same setup. I can't wait!

Until then... I get about 20 minutes out of a 720 pack, but that's simply due to one thing - I'm flying a 280 instead of a 300. It's much less power, but plenty for the yard monkeying I do

I will also be trying my 280 setup with a simple 2 cell pack of 1020s for the ultimate slow flying slow stick

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Jan 14, 2003, 08:28 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
It doesn't take much juice to keep the SS flying, so a single 1020 pack on a 280 should work. I was surprised at what the "bones" of the SS weigh, it was heavier than I expected. That's relative though, with that giant wing it's still got really low wing loading.

I forgot to mention that it was 41 on the ground for my flight test. I've noticed that I get a big loss in duration on my Kokams at anything under 50 degrees. In warm weather the run time will probably improve by 25% or more. Not that half an hour isn't long enough to fly anything of course
Old Jan 14, 2003, 08:58 AM
Master ReKitter
San Diego,Ca, USA
Joined Aug 2000
2,756 Posts
I had a 25min flight in ideal conditions on my SS with the www.cheapbatterypacks.com nimh 1600 (it took 1900+mah charge). The SS actually flies a little better with the extra weight due to the better penetration. I always get 15+ min flights at least...I flew the 720's before and they worked pretty good, but now I just fly the 1600 8cell bricks or the 1100 8cell bricks.
uglyplane is offline Find More Posts by uglyplane
Old Jan 14, 2003, 09:15 AM
Old Desert Rat
Rimrock AZ. USA
Joined Mar 2000
1,113 Posts
Hi Tres!
... I switch to a 280 "C" motor on a 13/9 prop and 2/1080 LiPo, it lost 1.8oz . It will fly 20 min. Most of the flying at half throttle. Loops and inverted is no problem. You do need some air space to get it out of inverted, I can't roll it.
..Power is good right up to the end and then it drops fast. It is best to not be on the wrong side of the tree when the power goes.
..For some reason I had to move the CG's 1/2" forward from what the instruction say. The battery is so light I had to put it in front of the wing, that may have pushed the wing back a little changing the tail length.
..To find the CG put the plane in a shallow dive, hands off and see if it will pull out. To get it to pull out of the dive, move the CG forward.(that always seemed backward to me). I like mine to just pull out into a level flight.
..If you get it just right, and you get tired of standing there, you can put the TX down and go in the house for a chair. When you come out the plane will still be there, it doesn't do anything in a hurry.
Arizona Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Arizona Chuck
Old Jan 18, 2003, 09:26 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Man versus Machine

Once again the Slow Stick bested me, I had to bring it down tonight because my hands were freezing! Temp was 40 degrees, but it was a wonderful, wind-free, clear night with a full moon. I got in a very enjoyable 31:24 flight, but I just couldn't take the cold anymore. I flew many loops including 5 sequential loops from level flight to celebrate hitting the 30 minute mark! I can only imagine how long this beast will fly when it's warmer as the packs lose capacity in temps like this.

This is the first time I've flown the SS in really calm conditions and it is a real pleasure. It flew faster than I expected, I hadn't noticed it before because I was flying into wind all the time. It'll turn really sharp too, feed in up elevator and it carves a turn on its own wingtip. Really a great plane for buzzing around at night!
Old Jan 18, 2003, 09:43 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
Tres,

We had 2 SS in the air at the Gym last saturday, so bring yours next week and we can try for 3. It looked cool, Slowstick indoor formation flying...About all you can do with 2 huge planes in a confined space. What fun.

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Jan 18, 2003, 09:50 PM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,837 Posts
Maybe a 'all up, last down' SS contest ?

Anybody for a 45min flight ?
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A
Old Jan 19, 2003, 10:57 AM
Arlington,VA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,862 Posts
LIONs in a slow-flyer.....sounds tempting.

.....and quite timely (this thread) as well.
My duskstik is nearing completion (after sitting in a box for 18 months). Any potential here?

What are you guys using as props/GB/motor combos? I assume they are the GWS flavor. Currently all I have is a stock power-plant (would flash for about 2 seconds of fireworks on 8 amps).

Thanks

Pullin'
pullin-gs is offline Find More Posts by pullin-gs
Last edited by pullin-gs; Jan 19, 2003 at 11:00 AM.
Old Jan 19, 2003, 12:30 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Kirby-

That sounds like a blast! Mine has lights on it very similar to yours, hopefully we won't get confused

William-

It would be a test of endurace for sure (of the pilot, not the plane ) Can you imagine strapping a 2s4p setup onto an SS? It could easily handle the weight and the flight times would be 90 minute or longer I've only got 3 packs right now, but I will no doubt have a 4th in time for DEAF this year. BwaaHAAAHAaaa!

Pullin'-

You don't need 2 packs for your setup, a single 1020 pack will do you just fine. I've flown my Tiger Moth for 50 minutes at night on a single 2 cell 1020 pack. You could no doubt get similar results.
Old Jan 19, 2003, 12:34 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Oops, only answered half your question!

==What are you guys using as props/GB/motor combos?==

My Moth uses a DX-A/9x7/2x1020 setup which would be comparable to what you'd use on your Dusk Stik. The Slow Stick has a GWS 300-D/11x8/2s2p 1020 Kokams.
Old Jan 19, 2003, 01:18 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Brushless w/ Kokams

All this talk about brushless Slow Sticks in other threads got me thinking (always dangerous ) I have an Astroflight 010/5.33:1 setup waiting to go into another plane, so why not slip it onto the SS and try it out? The gearbox is the same, so it was only a matter of pulling the 300 motor off and slipping the 010 on. Amazingly enough, the 010 with gearbox and ESC is .4 ounces lighter than the 300 setup. I've got to use 3 cell Kokams which adds 1.6 ounces though, so overall I'm adding 1.2 ounces. I ran it up on the Whattmeter, here is a comparison to the 300-D motor:

300-D/11x8/2s2p 1020 Kokams

Amps......Watts.......Volts

010 5.33:1/12x6/3s2p 1020 Kokams

It doesn't look a whole lot more powerful, but it does seem to be a much more efficient setup. I'm itching to flight test it, but the winds are really blowing right now. Hopefully tonight!
Old Jan 19, 2003, 08:14 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Flight test

Man, I'm amazed. I was expecting it to fly about the same as the 300 setup since it's drawing fewer amps and putting out about the same watts, but it's insane! I throttled up and tossed it, it went straight up vertical into the night sky. I was scrambling for the throttle stick to keep it from disappearing! It is VERY powerful. It was quite windy, so I only flew for 15 minutes. Checking the voltage afterwards showed the packs had plenty of power left. I'm sure the run times will be comparable to the 30 minutes I got on the 300 setup. But the power is much stronger. I hit full throttle several times and watched as it shrunk at an alarming rate. I may have to leave this motor on it for a while
Old Jan 19, 2003, 09:15 PM
Joined Apr 2000
2,300 Posts
My god man, my attention span isn't even long enough for the 8-cell 1600 mah NiMH AA packs I use. They give me 20 minutes! Now you're challenging the bladder limit!

Hank
HankF is offline Find More Posts by HankF
Old Jan 20, 2003, 12:11 AM
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,837 Posts
Re: Flight test

Quote:
Originally posted by Tres Wright
Man, I'm amazed.
Your talking the 010 now, correct ?
William A is offline Find More Posts by William A