HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2003, 07:22 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
WALLY WING...no fins...flies great!!!

Picked UP a damaged glider from the wal... discounted to $0.40...the fuse was broken ,the wife thought I was crazy, but I said " Look, BABY,what a great 60" wing!!!....she still thinks I'm crazy!!! anyway ,...glued these wings together,added elevons on the outboard tips (pull-pull threads) stuck on a motor and radio and guess what ...it flies really great ,for having NO vertical surfaces......haven't tried aerobatics yet.....GWS A motor....Hippobatts....
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2003, 07:25 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
more

ok
Old Jan 13, 2003, 07:28 PM
Prop Bitten.....
Raleigh, NC
Joined May 2002
29 Posts
You're Kidding

GPW, I'm beginning to think you could take an intake manifold off of a '64 Chevy and make a cool flying plane out of it. Please take a week off, just so you can stop impressing everyone
emberstar is offline Find More Posts by emberstar
Old Jan 13, 2003, 07:49 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
Sorry....

as OFB says ...I just have too much time on my hands....Funny!!! I never considered it enough!!!
and really, what model flyer can pass UP a 40 cent wing...?????? I know I can't...!!!
Old Jan 13, 2003, 08:04 PM
Oakdale, MN, USA
Joined Sep 2001
379 Posts
emberstar. . .

. . . for Gawd's sake, don't discourage him! This is the kind of guy who will do what we all occasionally think of doing, but he DOES IT!

I took a Walmart "special" one time and made a flying wing out of it, but didn't take the time to make a full-blown "Wally-Wing" out of it like "Hardlock" has posted on his web site. Stuck a 280 GWS DD on it and scared myself silly when it flew really well.

Most of us don't have the talent, much less the time, to experiment the way gpw does. I'm very grateful that he is willing to share his ideas, most of which are excellent, without charging us an arm and a leg.

gpw, keep up the good work!!! I've been away for a while 'cuz my wife had extensive surgery. But I'm back now with a new Crazy Max, an unbuilt GWS P-51 from Christmas and a scatch-built "warm-liner" using a Firebird "speed-wing" from a LHS. A photo is attached. Winds have prevented first flights on the warm-liner and Crazy Max. They've even kept me from my night flying activities. During the month of December, I actually logged more hours at night than in the daytime! Thanks to the Curtek Nav Lights!

The warm-liner is not an original idea. I borrowed it form a post on the EZone. I built it with the GWS DD 3" prop and QC 830's to use my supple of these packs. AUW is 5.8 oz. unpainted. Should go OK.

Warmest regards, guys,

Dale Case
Dale Case is offline Find More Posts by Dale Case
Old Jan 13, 2003, 08:51 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Dale, like the plane!!! Just looks really nice. Hardlock's wally wing flies great. Here is a pic of mine...

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Jan 13, 2003, 08:56 PM
Prop Bitten.....
Raleigh, NC
Joined May 2002
29 Posts
Awww now, Dale.

I'm sure I have not discouraged gpw in the least. I too, am simply in awe on what he does, and can't wait to see what else he comes UP with

Gpw, I take it back - no week off for you!!
emberstar is offline Find More Posts by emberstar
Old Jan 14, 2003, 02:53 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,167 Posts
Dale,

You've given me more ideas for the last of my small wally's with that firebird wing. My wife thanks you.......NOT!
What size motor are you using?
cheers
paul
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Jan 14, 2003, 04:26 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Paul: Try a Sorta TinaBob with your Wally WIng. It's great. 24" span hacked out of the wings, and Syro fuse... A little BluCor for bracing and fins... 2 EDP-50's (IPS/CN-12-RXC w/3x2 prop)... 2 cell Qualcom or Hippobats... A Blast!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:06 PM
Crash happens! :)
Utah
Joined Jun 2002
2,162 Posts
Here is what I did with my wally-flyer and a little bluecore foam. I got a Beaver for christmas so i have not had much timeto put into this. It is next on my list to get into the air.
Arrow is offline Find More Posts by Arrow
Last edited by Arrow; Jan 14, 2003 at 10:25 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:11 PM
Utah
Joined Jun 2002
2,162 Posts
another pic
Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:16 PM
Utah
Joined Jun 2002
2,162 Posts
one more
Old Jan 15, 2003, 02:38 AM
de-registered abuser
Lake Macquarie, Aust.
Joined Dec 2002
14,167 Posts
genebond:
The problem i'm finding after i went to the workshop
is that i've got all these planes (or bits thereof) and not enough
mechanicals to make them go!
I need to spend more of the folding stuff on gear. I hate removing servos etc. to get a different plane going.
I also have an extreme shortage of motors. This is not good!
gouch is offline Find More Posts by gouch
Old Jan 15, 2003, 11:00 PM
Oakdale, MN, USA
Joined Sep 2001
379 Posts
emberstar. . .

Hehe, I knew you wuz kidding! And there can be no stopping gpw. . .

gouch. . .

G'day, mate! My little Firebird knock off has a simple GWS DD with 3'" prop that I bought from Perry at Aeromicro. Something like $10 US for the motor with 2 props. Good vendor. Great service. Nice guy. I'm working on another "fuselage" for the same wing, but this one is a pusher, all balsa, with an Orion stock motor using a Hobbico Flyzone prop. I'm seeing about 2.4amps static draw on this combo using my multimeter in amps mode. More importantly, this is was with a Qualcomm 830 2-cell pack that I have several of and this combo did not kick out the protection circuit when driven static. It will probably be OK in the air. This is a bigger motor than the GWS, but seems to have a bit more "push" than the GWS motor/prop combo. Someday I'll build a real thrust meter. . .

But the goal is the most speed I can get from a QC830 with this wing. We'll see.

genebond. . .

If you use two GWS DD, as in your "sorta Tinabob" do you need two separate packs or can you run with one QC830? Protection board still there?Is this the 24" foamy or the bigger one you bashed? If the bigger one, straight one or swept?

I tried a "Wally Wing" flying wing one time time with a 280 DD and it flew fairly nicely until I smashed it on a windy day. This was early in my flying career, and not an indictment of the design, more an indictment of my lack of flying skill. Maybe chop the span and use two motors like Acer does now with his Speedwing. . .

LuckyArmpit. . .

It is soooo windy here that I haven't been able to fly at all, not even at night. Even today when the wind dropped to nothing, the air temp was only 14 deg F. It is not much fun to fly at this temp. and the batteries don't do well either. So I have gone into "building mode". I still have a couple unopened Walmart Sky Rider gliders still in there packages. Curiously, the wings look the same except for the trailing edges, where one wing is thicker than the other. So the airfoils are not the same. If I can't fly, I'll be forced to build. But first I need to finish this second fuselage
for the Firebird "speed" wing, then finish the GWS P-51, then. . .

Egads!!! I need more parts, too!!!

Dale Case
Dale Case is offline Find More Posts by Dale Case
Old Jan 16, 2003, 06:15 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
I know about the cold. Not much flying for me this winter so far.
The sky rider gliders from wally mart do not have much QC involved in their manufacture. I've had some wings that were warped, heavy seam lines, different thicknesses, etc. I always sand the hell out of them to get them even. I will say that the wally wings once you get it put together etc. are a blast to fly!
And they do handle wind well. I have an 8 cell pack of the BYD USA 1000 mah nimh's I soldered up that I want to try on it.
Will make the weight of the wing a few ounces less. Mine flies quick as it is and with less weight, it should go quicker.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit