HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 22, 2008, 01:00 AM
Eureka,Ca
Joined Jul 2007
623 Posts
Discussion
Sweet! new walkera 4#3 2.4g heli on ebay

Sweet,i might pick one up my self.It has a metal head assembly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-4G-WALKERA-4-3...ayphotohosting
_HypnoToad_ is offline Find More Posts by _HypnoToad_
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2008, 01:37 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Nice heads up... Just took a look, doesn't mention anything in the listing that it is the metal head supplied. Nothing written in there about it
Most pictures are of the normal 4#3 just with 2.4ghz. And just 1 or 2 right at the bottom with metal head.
I would have thought if it was the metal head you'd make a big deal about it?
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:59 AM
Tucson,AZ
Joined Dec 2007
4,371 Posts
he is correct those are not the 4-3's with metal parts. they come out next month.
johnIn2SonAZ is offline Find More Posts by johnIn2SonAZ
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:39 AM
Joined Jan 2007
516 Posts
4#3 on ebay

Hi

I have not access to ebay at work, but I saw the same autions yesterday.

If those are indeed the mark 4 (metal) then ok. But most of the pics was of a mark 3 (2.4). So I think we are talking about a mark 3 here. It was Tterences auction. When you clicked on the picture on the auction the picture shown was a mark 4, but when you went into the auction most of the pictures was of a mark 3, the last picture was of a mark 4.

Tterence if you are reading this you should correct those pictures, beauce if people think they are byeing the mark 4 and recive a mark 3, you could be flamed.

Hugo
norway
hugo-norway is offline Find More Posts by hugo-norway
Old Apr 22, 2008, 03:44 AM
Joined Mar 2008
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnIn2SonAZ
he is correct those are not the 4-3's with metal parts. they come out next month.
oh, are there 4#3's coming with metal parts???

how about default brushless?

Best
cambazz is offline Find More Posts by cambazz
Old Apr 22, 2008, 08:55 AM
Kansas City, MO
Joined Dec 2007
507 Posts
Metal parts are coming out end of the month.

Xtreme-Production.com also mentioned a couple of months ago that they were also working on metal upgrades for the 4#3 and some other upgrades (differnet motors, potentially a bolt on brushless solution...who knows). They initially said late April as well...but I have yet to see other mention of it.

As for brushless...I would seriously doubt Walkera would go that direction. It would greatly increase the cost of this little beast (especially if it was combined with the 2.4ghz rx). Brushless motor, ESC, and either converter from the 4 in 1 or a redesigned 4 or 1. It would be pretty cool...but probably push the price up to about 200 or more.

In the 4#3 Brushless thread TheSteve has come up with a great, realtively cheap brushless solution that many of us are using.

J
jasonkc25 is offline Find More Posts by jasonkc25
Old Apr 22, 2008, 09:39 AM
Fly, fix, repeat
Tampere, Finland
Joined Feb 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkc25
... As for brushless...I would seriously doubt Walkera would go that direction. It would greatly increase the cost of this little beast (especially if it was combined with the 2.4ghz rx)....

J
Not necessarily, at least as far as parts cost goes (what they would charge for it is a different story). The receiver chip for 2.4GHz costs $4 RETAIL for individual units and adding a couple of FET's and resistors to make the main ESC brushless wouldn't cost much either. The main cost would be redesigning the 4in1, writing the ESC firmware and the motor itself and Walkera already makes some of these (bigger than the one needed, though, which sell for around $30-$35). I estimate they could sell a brushless 2.4GHz 4#3 for around $180 and still make plenty of profit.

I think it is possible to make a DX7 - compatible 2.4GHz brushless 4in1 available for around $50, but I doubt Walkera would do that for business reasons.

-Oobly
oobly is offline Find More Posts by oobly
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:16 AM
Kansas City, MO
Joined Dec 2007
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobly
Not necessarily, at least as far as parts cost goes (what they would charge for it is a different story). The receiver chip for 2.4GHz costs $4 RETAIL for individual units and adding a couple of FET's and resistors to make the main ESC brushless wouldn't cost much either. The main cost would be redesigning the 4in1, writing the ESC firmware and the motor itself and Walkera already makes some of these (bigger than the one needed, though, which sell for around $30-$35). I estimate they could sell a brushless 2.4GHz 4#3 for around $180 and still make plenty of profit.

I think it is possible to make a DX7 - compatible 2.4GHz brushless 4in1 available for around $50, but I doubt Walkera would do that for business reasons.

-Oobly
Yer probably right. Though I still have to wonder if they would do it. Don't get me wrong, I think it would be great, but I'm just not getting my hopes up.

Besides, I'm already running brushless and although I would love to go 2.4ghz or better yet, have the ability to use my DX7 with it, I think I'm for the most part done with modding this little guy.

So far I have:
MHT carbon frame
TheSteve Converter
Cheap Ebay ESC
LOSI 10kv motor
Small.Planes aluminum rotor head
Spring swash mod
Ivan's Nav light kit

All I want now is one of Mario's canopies, maybe Mario's wood blades, and the metal bits for the head, then I'm done.

I'm pretty sure that this really can't be called the 4#3 anymore as most of the parts have been replaced...but oh well. It also flies a heck'uva lot better than the stock 4#3.

J
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:49 AM
NYC, NY
Joined Jul 2007
1,800 Posts
I didn't realize how small those are! Wow they are cute, but how well do they fly?
MrRetro is offline Find More Posts by MrRetro
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:12 AM
Kansas City, MO
Joined Dec 2007
507 Posts
Pretty good really, for a heli this size. Granted I have done some stuff to mine, but it's VERY stable.

The first few batches from Walkera were pretty unstable put they have changed some things.

I could be wrong on this but I believe that all of the newer models have the following done to them so they are pretty stable right out of the box:

Wider flybar paddles
Ball joints moved to inner holes on servo arms
Reduced slop in swash plate

J
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:14 PM
Eureka,Ca
Joined Jul 2007
623 Posts
Crap,I was wishing it was metal.Oh well I think I'm just going to wait this one out.
_HypnoToad_ is offline Find More Posts by _HypnoToad_
Old Apr 23, 2008, 08:55 AM
Joined Dec 2007
149 Posts
hope your right jason, i just oredered a 2.4ghz 4#3 from the bloke on ebay, will let you know how it turns out, although i reckon it will be just as unstable as the original.
drscraggs is offline Find More Posts by drscraggs