HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:34 AM
I'd rather be flying...
New York City
Joined May 2005
1,129 Posts
Discussion
Instructions to stretch trex 600 elecitric to 700?

im looking for exact instructions how to do this right the first time and where to buy the parts. does anyone know? thank u!

dave
djdaveq is offline Find More Posts by djdaveq
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:17 AM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan
Mississippi 31 years , Now Kotzebue , Alaska 12
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hey , look up Phil in my thread called trex 700 , he has the booms , then get a thundertiger 60 torque tube , 60 , not the 90 . you can use the trex stock frames, but I chose to use the rotorworkz frames, better placement for the batteries, servos straight to the swash, and motor on top ,

Tony
misskimo is offline Find More Posts by misskimo
Old Apr 22, 2008, 02:22 AM
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
here
Old Apr 23, 2008, 02:28 PM
Joined Nov 2003
146 Posts
It is possible to use a Century Predator boom, as a boom. It is 0,5mm to small, so a turn of electric tejp or simular is needed.

/N
nicco is offline Find More Posts by nicco
Old Apr 23, 2008, 03:05 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,025 Posts
The 700N just hit the market and the 700E will probably be out very soon. Why not wait and do the right way. There are a lot of parts that need to be upgraded if you want durability.

If you are just using it for AP than a stretched 600 will probably be ok. If you intend on 3D you need to get a 700E.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old May 03, 2008, 09:13 AM
Joined Jun 2006
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man
The 700N just hit the market and the 700E will probably be out very soon. Why not wait and do the right way. There are a lot of parts that need to be upgraded if you want durability.

If you are just using it for AP than a stretched 600 will probably be ok. If you intend on 3D you need to get a 700E.

The president of Align said he doesn't intend to produce 700E because the demand will be still low in the near future. IMO, it will be possible when battery costs for 90 class become much more affordable one day. Even so, once 700N hit the market, we can always custom build our own frames that make use of stock head and tail.

I never like all the align's frames(servo/motor placement....), but all their rotor heads and tail sections are good enough for that price you pay for. With Align's some existing parts, we are always able to design our own "NEAR" perfect machine faster and at much lower costs. It's costly and time-consuming( at least, for a non expert like me) to develop every part on our own.

Some T-Rex'es are nice when stock frames are replaced with aftermarket ones such as RotorWorkz. I still cannot figure out why Align's designer(s) cannot come up with better or perfect designs in the first place?
kitty20155 is offline Find More Posts by kitty20155
Last edited by kitty20155; May 03, 2008 at 01:35 PM.
Old May 03, 2008, 09:56 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,025 Posts
I agree; I am still flying my Raptor 90 EP conversion that I did a couple of years ago. Thatís definitely the most durable helicopter I have ever owned. Itís always ready to fly and never gives any problems.

The Trex 600 is the opposite Ė itís always needing something and Align keep coming out with fixes. Itís really hard to keep up with all those Align changes. Align has really make a bundle by constantly changing their helicopters and parts.

Old May 03, 2008, 01:14 PM
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
huh? Ive owned the trex for a year , I have never heard of Align have a call back but once of twice. Where you coming from RC MAN?

well I got my plans soon . the 700N doesnt look like a good conversion,
but Ill have one to frankin together
Old May 03, 2008, 03:14 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskimo
huh? Ive owned the trex for a year , I have never heard of Align have a call back but once of twice. Where you coming from RC MAN?
Donít get me wrong, I think that the Trex 600 is a good flying helicopter I just had some problems that Align should have fixed before marketing. Hear a few that I remember:

1. Plastic tail pulleys fail Ė upgraded to metal pulleys.
2. Control balls pull out of the plastic bellcranks Ė upgrade to metal bellcranks.
3. Swashplate got loose after 50 flights. I upgraded to QUK. If you read the QUK web page you will fine a write up on how the stock swashplate has a geometry error that causes some control interaction.
4. Stock landing gear is crap. It spreads and breaks easily.
5. My tail rotor was never smooth and I could not run much gyro gain without tail wag. Looks like the plastic was warped during molding. I upgraded to Kasama tail.
6. You need the optional longer flybar for higher 3D rate. I am in the process of upgrading to a Kasama head. I have heard that they are much better than the stock design.
7. Then there is the canopy. It rubbed the gear on one side and the servo arm on the other. After reading several forums I find that quite a few canopies just donít fit very well. I added some standoffs to the frame to hold the canopy so it does not rub against anything.

It makes you wonder it Align has actually built and fly one of their kits. They let the customer do all the beta testing.

The design is good itís just make from very crappy materials

Old May 03, 2008, 04:29 PM
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hey , well yeh! come to think of it , theres a few flaws , heres one for you
on my ole trex that I have the HFE frames , 9650s , actro 32-3, that I flew in 600 form last year and then stretched it to try a 700 out. This past week I took the long boom off and the avant heads been off for 2 months , and put the stock plastic head on there to try.
Went to try it out 2 days ago. Spring aint here , but couldnt wait . ( first flight of the year) 20 degrees F , test flew it . Went ok with my 2 new 3850s I just got. 2000 RPMs of mild flipping , Few for 6 min, went home and charged up the batteries that night , 2300 ma, YEH! that will change on the next flight which was yesterday I thought.
4 min into the flight , I gave collective , and noticed a huge lag in responce while inverted. rolled it over which was REAL slow and coming down fast, Finally it was upright and I was trying to get it back to the road for a landing . About 50 feet up over the road, I gave alot of neg collective " like full -10 " but it was coming down SLOWLY" Very odd! I thought, so when it got about 10 feet off the ground , I started feeding collective to stop the decent , it didnt do much good. it hit the ground doing about 1mph . Tail blades hit a washout in the road. There went the whole tail gears in the back and in the front. I hit throttle hold and she spooled down!
At home , I started checking the batteries and noticed the servos wasnt performing correctly. cut it off and started to feel the servo geartrain , couldnt move the swash up, HUH! ended up being the metal washout stuck to the shaft, LOCKED tight as a drum on the shaft, man talking about ( WHAT THE HE LL) . I repaired the geartrain today , took the washout off. supperglued some 400 grip paper to a 1/4" burbit shaft and wrapped the paper around till it was about 10mm thick. put it on my 36v dewalt drill ,and honed out the washout so it would slid right. dont know why it did this , lesson learned, if its kind snug, loosen it up some.
Old May 04, 2008, 06:03 AM
Australia
Joined Mar 2004
2,358 Posts
while my trex 600 stretch flew very well, I had it for a year, and decided its time for a new project.
Im helping rjx with their new nitro 90, take a few peeks here
http://www.rotortips.net//index.php?...d=64&Itemid=59

maybe could design a new set of side frames for electric, and could get them to cut it. Comes out it belt and TT version, and plenty bling to wank over. Oh and part pricing is good.

Apart from that, Ive been working on my what I call Xtron 700, which uses the Xtreme 90 programable head, drive system, and tail. Flys very well.

http://www.rotortips.net//index.php?...d=69&Itemid=62

I have 2 belts, 1cf boom with rappy 60 torque tube installed, and 1cf boom without availible for the trex 600 stretch if anyone is after them, pm me.

cheers
Phil
Philpops is offline Find More Posts by Philpops