HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2009, 08:47 AM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Why don't you just upload all your dang pictures already!
Server overload?

Great vid of the Picket Kmot.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2009, 02:40 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Feb 2006
880 Posts
For the PNW question on THE Resolution (LOG TUG) of mine. The hull came from Loren Scott of Burnaby Club and is the Harken I think but not sure. Been a lot of fun over the years, has a Robbe Navy powerplant, 8 cells, EMS/Jomar Nautical Throttle ESC, lights. It is a bit Twitchy due to small size and big power but if you need to move something it will get it done. Managed a Second in Team tow at this event, used as the Back boat with C. Browns Towboat(Black Hull with low Red Cabin) in the Lead position.
CaptLee is offline Find More Posts by CaptLee
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:16 AM
"Irregular's Cobra Man"
Palmdale, CA
Joined Apr 2008
664 Posts
CaptLee, while I was at the Regatta, I noticed a few Pusher Tugs that were vary stable in the water and would make excellent rescue boats. I understand that one of your club members may have designed the hull? I also heard that years back, your club used to use these boats for water polo games. Sorry to say, I only took a picture of one of them, and I'm kicking myself now. If possible, could you post the measurements (for hull), I'd like to try building one out of wood. Thanks CaptLee, here's a picture of the tug.
Bilge_Snipe is offline Find More Posts by Bilge_Snipe
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:47 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,909 Posts
Cap'n Lee is from SFMYC in 'Frisco and the water polo club was the INS in Riverside.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 23, 2009, 11:44 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
13,840 Posts
Bilge, you are referring the the "Springer"- it was highly promoted in the SFMYC by one of our late club members- He created a few additional specification rules (power plant)for use in polo matches (called "Springer Ltd.") but the boat was not designed by him. The folks in the Pacific northwest get that credit.

The boat in the picture you took is not a "springer".

See the Springer thread for more details

I'm not positive but I think the INS is/was promoting its own version of a polo push tug- the one you took a picture of may be that type-
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:03 PM
"Irregular's Cobra Man"
Palmdale, CA
Joined Apr 2008
664 Posts
Thanks kmot and Aerominded, I'm currently building two Springer Tugs as per Irregular's specifications (which is, anything goes), LOL. The Pusher Tug in the picture is larger then a standard Springer Tug and my intention was not to enter water polo games but to build a larger rescue boat and this hull seems to fit the bill. One of the Irregular's (Brad) is building a 2X larger Springer Tug, but the characteristics of the Springer will be magnified two times, with its pitching and rolling. Kmot explained why that may be the case. If anyone has the measurements for the boat hull (Pusher Tug) I posted, please post them.

Thank you, Cobra Man
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:04 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded
...I'm not positive but I think the INS is/was promoting its own version of a polo push tug- the one you took a picture of may be that type-
Correctemundo Areo. That is the hull INS once offered on their website.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:11 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge_Snipe
I'd like to try building one out of wood.
There is a kit available from Kay at INS for the OF Tugboat.
http://www.inlandnauticalsociety.com/equipment.htm
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup
Old Sep 23, 2009, 01:16 PM
"Irregular's Cobra Man"
Palmdale, CA
Joined Apr 2008
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toesup
There is a kit available from Kay at INS for the OF Tugboat.
http://www.inlandnauticalsociety.com/equipment.htm
Now that's what I'm talking about! Thank you so much toesup, that's the exact boat I saw on the water, cruising steady as a rock.