HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2008, 03:56 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
800 Posts
Build Log
Eratix on E-Flite 25-Sized Floats

I have a local Float Fly coming up this weekend so I spent this past weekend putting my Eratix on floats. This is one of my favorite flying planes and I wanted to see how well it flys on floats.

First I started with the pair of floats I have on my E-Flite Ultra Stick. I lined up the float step with the Eratix CG and marked out where the new landing gear mounting blocks will be located.

I used 3/16 plywood and cut out a 1 1/4 wide strip that fit up against the form. I glued this in place, but there was a 1/8 gap from the bottom the fuse to the bottom of the new block. I cut out a 1/8 lite ply to fill in the gap.
moxjett is offline Find More Posts by moxjett
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2008, 05:22 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
800 Posts
Then I made a 1/8 lite ply plat to attach to the original landing gear plate. I cut away the bottom covering and used epoxy to attach the new plate. I had the same problem with there being a gap between the bottom of the fuse and the bottom of the new plate, so I cut out a small strip for the float gear ro mount to.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 05:37 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
800 Posts
I centered up the floats on the two new mounting blocks and marked the holes to be drilled. I drilled one hole at a time and used a 4-40 blind nut to secure the floats to the plane. I finished the back three mounting screws, and then I drilled the three holes in the front plate.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 05:43 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
800 Posts
I took out the motor to make it easier to move the fuse around when mounting the floats. I put everything back in the Eratix and now all I have to do is mount an HS-65 on the bottom to steer the water rudder. She looks pretty good on floats. The floats come in at a whopping 31.6 ozs, so I imagine the 3D abilities will be shot, but it should make for a good flying float plane.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 06:55 PM
Seaplane Nerd
Joined Jan 2005
829 Posts
Well, they're a little small, but with such a hot plane they should be OK.
Don't know why they are so heavy. almost a pound per float seems like solid pine.....
JimCasey is offline Find More Posts by JimCasey
Old Apr 21, 2008, 07:45 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
800 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCasey
Well, they're a little small, but with such a hot plane they should be OK.
Don't know why they are so heavy. almost a pound per float seems like solid pine.....
I don't see how you think they are to small. They are more then enough for the Ultra Stick and the Specs below show the two planes are close enough in dimensions for the floats to be perfect for the Ertaix.

Eratix
Specs
Wing Span:54 in (1370mm)
Overall Length:53 in (1350mm)
Wing Area:695 sq in (44.9 sq dm)
Flying Weight:3.75-4 lb (1.7-1.8 kg)

Ultra Stick
Specs
Wing Span:50 in (127 cm)
Overall Length:41.5 in (105 cm)
Wing Area:480 sq in (31 sq dm)
Flying Weight:3.4 lb (1.5 kg)
Old Apr 23, 2008, 09:22 AM
I'm kind of a big deal
Tarpon Springs, FL USA
Joined Feb 2002
852 Posts
Very nice looking plane. I really like the covering, especially the clear section. Like seeing the bones.
Tarpon Shawn is offline Find More Posts by Tarpon Shawn
Old Apr 23, 2008, 09:47 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,211 Posts
[QUOTE=moxjett]I don't see how you think they are to small.

You'd normally like to see about 3" to 4" of float infront of the prop arc. Helps keep the nose from digging in when you transition from taxi to running on the step and vis-versa. As far as Jim stating he thinks they are a little small check the fuselage length between the two planes. The Ultra Sticks fuselage is almost a foot shorter than the Eratix. But as Jim also stated the Eratix is a light plane for it's size so you should be ok.

dawg
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Last edited by r/cdawg; Apr 23, 2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:24 AM
Joined Nov 2005
4,404 Posts
They look short to me too , best of luck !!
lake flyer is offline Find More Posts by lake flyer
Old Apr 27, 2008, 02:04 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
800 Posts
Eratix on Floats works great!

Yesterday was a great day for float flying. The sky was just a little overcast with the sun peaking through every now and then, and just enough wind to make it easy to lift off the water. I took 5 float planes and returned with all 5 five, so that made it a good day by itself.

The Eratix on floats turned out really well, and I'm really pleased with its performance. The 2 pound floats made a difference, but this was taken care of by running 4S 3700 mah lipos instead of the usual 4S 3200 mah lipos. The added weight did make tumbling a lot more fun. I wanted to try the 3200's so I kept the prop at a 13x6.5 so hovering was possible with the 3700 mah lipos, but would just hover and had no pullout power. Take off's and landings were very easy with the heavy floats. I took some video of the Eratix and the video from the camera looks good, but when I convert it to a .wmv file, it becomes real grainy. I'll post it anyway, but it's not real great.

I also have a dedicated GP Stik on 60 sized floats that is a blast to fly. It is powered by an OS .91 4-Stroke. This plane is such a blast to fly. It has all kinds of power, and is easy to land and take it off from water.

I also tried my new GP Seawind EP. This was my first experience with these Seawind planes, and I’m glad I read kingsflyer’s Seawind EP Review on this little plane. His advice on keeping full up elevator, made my maiden of this plane completely uneventful. She took to the sky like I had taken it off the water with it 20 times. I had a few clicks of up elevator and three clicks of aileron, and she was flying like a champ. I then brought her around to set her up for a landing. It took a couple tries to see how she acted during a landing approach. I greased her in perfectly with no bouncing. This is going to be a fun little plane to fly at my small park pond nearby. I was really impressed with this little plane.

The only incident I had all day was when I attempted to fly my delta on floats. I got it lined up for takeoff into the wind and it was just lifting off when a gust of wind pushed it, and it nosed into the water. I don’t know what caused it, but I saw smoke starting to get thicker and thicker. I thought the lipo had caught fire somehow. We rushed out in the retrieval boat and brought it ashore. I guess the water all over the motor or ESC, shorted something out and the ESC was burnt to a crisp. It almost burnt clear through the foam wing.

I’d say I had the most fun flying the Eratix on floats. I think this is my new favorite float plane, next to the Stik 60.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 03:02 PM
Pug Pilot
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2004
800 Posts
Here is the video of the Eratix.

-
Eratix on Floats (3 min 44 sec)
Old Apr 27, 2008, 05:38 PM
Closed Account
Joined May 2006
2,132 Posts
Hi moxjett,
Way to go Ace! Nice video, very good flying and a brill float conversion, glad it all worked out for you, Cheers mate,
regds Al,
rotorheid is offline Find More Posts by rotorheid