HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2008, 08:27 PM
United States, MD, Ellicott City
Joined Mar 2008
1,198 Posts
Discussion
Where do i post a thread about building my first kit?

beginner4life is offline Find More Posts by beginner4life
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2008, 08:28 PM
Zen Flying Master
Sweetwater, TN
Joined Sep 2002
829 Posts
Looks like you just did ;o)

Usually you would go for the forum for whatever type plane it is...a parkflyer, or a foamie, or scratch build, etc etc
AUBrian is offline Find More Posts by AUBrian
Old Apr 20, 2008, 08:33 PM
Joined Jul 2004
3,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beginner4life

What kind of kit ?........if it's another Slow Stick or 3D foamie you could post it on WattFlyer.
Usta Bee is offline Find More Posts by Usta Bee
Old Apr 20, 2008, 08:38 PM
Zen Flying Master
Sweetwater, TN
Joined Sep 2002
829 Posts
Usta brings up a good point...do a search to make sure there's not already a build thread that you could add to instead of duplicating
AUBrian is offline Find More Posts by AUBrian
Old Apr 20, 2008, 09:03 PM
Is that me?
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2006
898 Posts
Hey Beginner,try Foamies/kits or Foamies scratchbuilt,you will find many comrades who will enjoy what you do.This is not the place for that,i find that these forums aren't really worth your time,me I'm just trolling
Bob
Bobnormal is offline Find More Posts by Bobnormal
Old Apr 20, 2008, 09:03 PM
WAA-08 Survivor
Joined May 2004
2,642 Posts
Unfortunately RC Groups doesn't have a kit and scratchbuilding forum like all the other RC sites. So you need to choose one of the dozen or so overlapping forums which might be the closest to your model, and hope we builders can find it.

Someone really ought to propose a kit and scratchbuilding forum....

-Steve
Griffin is offline Find More Posts by Griffin
Old Apr 21, 2008, 04:59 AM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
If it's not a foamy then either sport model or beginners or scale or warbirds depending on what type of plane it is.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Apr 21, 2008, 02:37 PM
United States, MD, Ellicott City
Joined Mar 2008
1,198 Posts
I am just looking for the best beginners one as i have never built a kit before.
beginner4life is offline Find More Posts by beginner4life
Old Apr 21, 2008, 03:02 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
I am just looking for the best beginners one as i have never built a kit before.
These two companies produce GREAT beginner kits.

http://www.stevensaero.com/

http://www.mountainmodels.com/
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Last edited by BD Flyer; Apr 21, 2008 at 04:11 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old Apr 21, 2008, 03:07 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin
Unfortunately RC Groups doesn't have a kit and scratchbuilding forum like all the other RC sites. So you need to choose one of the dozen or so overlapping forums which might be the closest to your model, and hope we builders can find it.

Someone really ought to propose a kit and scratchbuilding forum....

-Steve
do you visit a different rcgroups.com than the one I do?...

On the one I visit (I thought it was this one), if it's a scale plane, there's a ton of build threads in the scale forum. If it's a parkie, start the thread in the parkies forum, and there's other forums for aerobats, jets, edf's, water planes, autogyros, gliders, warbirds... and the list goes on. and there's a forum for scratch building from foam (if your plane doesn't fit the other more specific categories).

Your rcgroups.com sounds like an unhappy place. Thanks for the heads-up so I can avoid it
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Apr 21, 2008, 03:23 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,515 Posts
It is true that there's no dedicated scratchbuilding forum, though.

Another place to find some really impressive scratchbuilds is the EDF Talk forum. There's some really cool build threads over there from time to time.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP
Old Apr 21, 2008, 04:08 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP

Another place to find some really impressive scratchbuilds is the EDF Talk forum. There's some really cool build threads over there from time to time.
you mean dedicated balsa scratchbuilding forum. Lot of the edf's are foam and could equally live in the foamie-scratch forum. However, one could very well be forgiven for avoiding "foamie scratchbuilding" forum as the participants can be a little wild and woolly

I think the build threads in the topics specific to the plane being made is the way to go though. Like your parky edf being in the parkies forum, etc. Helps keep a good cross section of participation for that style of plane. If you want to talk the benefits of building tips and such... people should visit the "builder's workshop" forum... lots of good info.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Apr 21, 2008, 04:30 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP

It would just be splitting the existing forums up one more time. Where would you put a large scale electric warbird that was scratch built from plans originally meant for fuel power. Does it go in this new scratch built forum? Or does it go in scale? Or does it go in warbirds? Or does it go in giants? Or does it go in glow conversions. See the point. Even without your adding one more forum it already could potentially go in 4 different existing forums.

I'm currently building that project it goes in scale where I would still put it, even if there was a scratch build forum.

If you added a balsa scratch built forum everyone would still put all the scale planes into scale and they'd still put all the sport models into sport where they mostly are now. It really makes no sense to add one more forum just for that.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 04:30 PM
Joined Sep 2000
3,776 Posts
Quote:
Go here. This forum is for you.

http://www.rcgroups.com/beginner-tra...ea-electric-8/
Old Apr 21, 2008, 04:36 PM
Sink stinks
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Apr 2005
4,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanPSU21
It would just be splitting the existing forums up one more time. Where would you put a large scale electric warbird that was scratch built from plans originally meant for fuel power. Does it go in this new scratch built forum? Or does it go in scale? Or does it go in warbirds? Or does it go in giants? Or does it go in glow conversions. See the point. Even without your adding one more forum it already could potentially go in 4 different existing forums.

I'm currently building that project it goes in scale where I would still put it, even if there was a scratch build forum.

If you added a balsa scratch built forum everyone would still put all the scale planes into scale and they'd still put all the sport models into sport where they mostly are now. It really makes no sense to add one more forum just for that.
I never said I wanted a dedicated scratchbuilding forum. Don't know where that impression came from. I like the way RC Groups is set up now.

I think you meant to quote Griffin.
Montag DP is offline Find More Posts by Montag DP