Closed Thread
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:12 AM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Build Log
Club Chrysalis - group build

There has been some discussion about doing a group build of the DJ Aerotech Chrysalis here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848878

Link to manufacturers site http://www.djaerotech.com/dj_product/chrysalis2m-e.html

Don and Joe have very generously offered a discount to RCG members who want to participate in the build. The special price is $70 plus postage for the full kit, with a similar percentage discount for separate fuse/wing/three piece options. I don't know how long this offer is good for but I'd suggest if you do want to participate jump in now!

In all fairness to DJA....if kit purchasers really had no intention of participating in the group build....we would ask that they please reconsider asking for the group build discount.

On the other hand...if you want to share your questions/answers, and banter with the others in this build thread....then DJA has offered to give you a little something off the top when ordered directly from them, and referencing the RCG group build/Your Screename.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to this build. The Chrysalis is a great flier, with a lot of thought put into the design. It's not a complex build, so if you haven't built from kit before, this would be a good place to start. I'm sure Don Stackhouse will be dropping in from time to time to help out with any technical queries.

Nick
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser
Last edited by Skycruiser; Apr 20, 2008 at 12:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:15 AM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
Gallery

I thought I'd reserve this post for pics of members finished planes. It'll stop people having to sift though the thread for pictures and specs

Nick

6 Oct added jollyroger's bird. That's three with V tails and one proper one. Where are the rest?
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser
Last edited by Skycruiser; Oct 05, 2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 06:45 AM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycruiser
... I'm sure Don Stackhouse will be dropping in from time to time to help out with any technical queries.

Nick
Both Joe and I will be following this thread closely. Good luck, everyone, and please don't hesitate to ask if you have questions. Remember, the only "dumb" question is the one you should have asked, but didn't!

Don
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Old Apr 20, 2008, 07:26 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Nick, Don And all can,t wait to start this one.Don could you pm the price with shipping to schenectady ny to me for the 3 piece wing version? Ill be sending a money order as I don't want the warden to see this on the c/c or bank statement.I dont know what motor ill be using yet so just pick an F1 at random. Thanks rabid.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Apr 20, 2008, 07:49 AM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
I agree with Nick. Let's try and keep this thread for finished photos of planes, and use the other sight for the build stuff.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2008, 08:38 AM
Puyallup, WA
Joined Nov 2001
1,590 Posts
Nick
Along with that idea. I would to ask all the others that post their pictures to give us a little more information on the equipment that they use. The usual stuff radio, prop, motor, servos, battery, esc and such. It will show a wide variety in the stuff we use, and to give others ideas of what they can use with the known results.
Lyle
tinkrerpilot is offline Find More Posts by tinkrerpilot
Old Apr 20, 2008, 04:31 PM
"Still Crashing since 1960"
Pierre, SD, USA
Joined Dec 2001
1,112 Posts
This is so cool, I am just a lurker for now.
Till;
A. I finish my e-powered gentle lady build (getting closer)
B. Finish a slope combat wing
C. get some cash rounded up.
rcairnut is offline Find More Posts by rcairnut
Last edited by rcairnut; Apr 20, 2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 05:57 PM
We'll all float on OK
Casselberry, Florida
Joined Dec 2002
1,507 Posts
I've been building my Chrysalis E on and off for awhile now, and want to finish it mid May.

I hope you guys don't buy all the kits, I plan on getting another one with my tax rebate.
Tom Korn is offline Find More Posts by Tom Korn
Old Apr 20, 2008, 06:05 PM
We'll all float on OK
Casselberry, Florida
Joined Dec 2002
1,507 Posts
I'm going to use an Aveox 27/13/4 with a Promax 4.4:1 gearbox, Castle Creations P25, Thunder Power 3 cell 2100 Pro Lite, Berg 7, 2 Hitec S-65's for the V-Tail, and two Blue Arrow 4.3's for the Spoilers.

13/7 Cam Folder.
Tom Korn is offline Find More Posts by Tom Korn
Old Apr 20, 2008, 07:22 PM
Super Secret Agent
Sink City, USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,037 Posts
Got out for some stick time on my Chrysalis today....

Crummy air....everything headed down. I'd have guessed it'd be better, but if was....I couldn't find it.

Got some pics instead. OK....so my photographer isn't named Liebowitz....
He tried.
CV580drvr is offline Find More Posts by CV580drvr
Old Apr 20, 2008, 09:24 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Curt,

Your photographer did a fine job. They are focused and you can see the plane. The guy with your plane is the field manager. Thanks for the cool shots.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2008, 07:53 AM
Puyallup, WA
Joined Nov 2001
1,590 Posts
Sure Curt rub it in! This one does not count, other then we have a completed version to look at.

Great pics by the way.
tinkrerpilot is offline Find More Posts by tinkrerpilot
Old Apr 21, 2008, 12:59 PM
Super Secret Agent
Sink City, USA
Joined Oct 2007
2,037 Posts
The Real Thing

Not a Chrysalis....but they used to be!

A couple of butteflies gettin' their groove on in my mulch....
CV580drvr is offline Find More Posts by CV580drvr
Old Apr 21, 2008, 01:23 PM
United States, OH, Bradford
Joined Jun 2005
4,029 Posts
In case you all don't know the story behind the name, our original kit, back in the early '90's, was our Monarch 1.5 meter RCHLG. Back then, the common thinking was that you could have a hand-launch sailplane that was slick and heavy, could cover lots of ground and penetrate anything, but needed a "Texas brick-lifter" to stay up once you found lift, or you could build a built-up "gas bag" that could float like a dandelion seed, but threw like a wiffle ball and couldn't go anywhere. Our airplane could do both (folks used to joke that "flying a Monarch was cheating") so naming it after a butterfly that floated like the seeds of the milkweed plants it fed on, but migrated 12,000 miles a year from Canada to Mexico and back, made perfect sense.

At that time R/C hand-launch was still in its infancy. "Micro" radio gear like the Hitec/RCD 535 Rx, and micro servos like the Futaba S33 or Hitec HS-80 (today's "standard" sized gear!) had only recently come on the market, and relatively few regular R/C fliers had them. There were folks who wanted to try hand-launch, but were put off by the need to get all-new radio equipment just to try it out. We figured that an RCHLG with enough wing area to fly well with regular size radio gear (which is why it also worked well with micro gear and an electric motor) might help these folks metamorphose into being hand-launch fliers. The name "Chrysalis" was a natural. The color patterns on the prototype HLG Chrysalis mimicked those on a monarch butterfly's chrysalis.

Later we added the 2-meter Chrysalis to help non-flyers and power fliers metamorphose into R/C sailplane fliers, and the theme continued.
Don Stackhouse is offline Find More Posts by Don Stackhouse
Last edited by Don Stackhouse; Apr 21, 2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 05:51 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Hi Don,

I seem to remember those Monarch planes. Didn't they have a butterfly pattern on the wings ? Or was that just that some builders that did that ? They sure looked cool.
Thanks for the historical background on the names. It always makes it more interesting if you know some of the history behind the plane. Can't wait to get my 2 kits.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Closed Thread