Closed Thread
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:39 AM
In need of a job....
Hamilton, NJ
Joined Feb 2008
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by race58
That's right we both had Chev motors with Ford parts. That's why it would have been a race.
Here is a picture of mine. Sorry for the quality but it is a picture of a picture.

I picked up some props today to try. What do you think about them on the SC?
The Master Airscrew is a 10x5 while the Top Flight wood prop is a 10x6

Interested in seeing you make those APC props fit! Which adapter do you think your might use? One with a collet or set screw?

And you guys and your racing talk! I don't fit in but just for giggles I am finishing a build this summer. 92 VW Golf with a 2.8L VR6 transplant. Giant custom T3/T4 turbo if I recall has a 60 trim, custom exhaust, custom JE pistons, shaved, balanced crank, ported polished head, big valves, 272 degree shrick cams, shrick intake ported 6 speed gear box etc etc. Should push easily around the 425-450 mark. Not exactly American muscle but that is yet to come, I really wanna build a old duece coupe style with a big hunk O motor sticking out lol
kryznic is offline Find More Posts by kryznic
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:05 AM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart
geez, its like a secret society of street racers!

No way! 'Real' racers race on a track, not the street.

Icky. Lets see a picture!

race58. That's sweet I love seeing big cars pull the tires up, awesome!

kryznic. It may not be American but it's still a car and some of the quickest cars at our track were VW's. Those scary little bugs were running high 9's!

Icky. That must have been a long time ago. I can't remember the last time I heard some one mention a "3/4 race cam"...
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Last edited by raz; Mar 26, 2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:19 AM
In need of a job....
Hamilton, NJ
Joined Feb 2008
216 Posts
yea no doubt, the bugs are insane, I've been doing veedubs since I was a kid and I still can't believe how much power those air cooled flat 4's put out. And now the new thing is swapping the air cooled motors out for Subaru flat 4's (boxer engine) yea, they go in with minimal resistance. That's next on my list muahahaha!
kryznic is offline Find More Posts by kryznic
Old Mar 26, 2009, 04:38 PM
Enough Power? -NEVER ENOUGH!
North-Eastern Saskatchewan, Canada -Eh?!
Joined Apr 2008
1,386 Posts
the other day at one of our discount stores i saw this rubberband powered flying thing that looked like a kite and a reraly odd plane and it claimed that it could fly 600'
monboy10 is offline Find More Posts by monboy10
Old Mar 26, 2009, 05:06 PM
The smell of CA in the morning
Navarro County, Tx
Joined Aug 2008
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryznic
yea no doubt, the bugs are insane, I've been doing veedubs since I was a kid and I still can't believe how much power those air cooled flat 4's put out. And now the new thing is swapping the air cooled motors out for Subaru flat 4's (boxer engine) yea, they go in with minimal resistance. That's next on my list muahahaha!

You telling me about Vdubs- that road racer would do 135 at Riverside with a "stock" 1200 motor.
tdub is offline Find More Posts by tdub
Old Mar 26, 2009, 06:31 PM
BANDITRCN28
USA, NC, Salisbury
Joined Jan 2008
808 Posts
Welcome to the Supercub and cars club....LOL

My name is Chris....
cvoyles is offline Find More Posts by cvoyles
Old Mar 26, 2009, 06:36 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
Hhhhhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiii Ccccccccccchhhhhhhhhhhrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiisssssss. .............................

Kmart is offline Find More Posts by Kmart
Old Mar 26, 2009, 06:50 PM
Joined Jan 2009
418 Posts
LiPo Maiden Report

I went to the field today, and the dang wind was picking up again. But I was there and it was light. There was no one there. So I took off, and went into the wind. I can definitely say that the 9x5 prop leaves much to be desired. Its performance with a LiPo is about the same as the stock setup. I had two out of my three break as well. I landed after about 5 minutes and check everything out. Voltage was fine, but power was being used up a lot more since I was constantly fighting the wind. I went WOT a lot. Suddenly the wind blew the plane over my head, and I had a minor crash. No damage, only a broken prop. Put another one on, and took off again. When I was hovering in the wind, the motor sound changed, and I powered it all the way down, and the prop had broken mid-air! I did a dead stick landing which was my best landing of the several that I did today. After that I put on my last prop, and took off once again. I soon decided that the wind was getting too vicious. So then I packed up and left.

The battery that I ran was down to about 40% remaining. Although I put in battery numero dos for the last 2 minutes at the field just because I felt like it.

So after that I went to the hobby shop and special ordered some 10x6 props. But they wont be in till next week.

All in all, I can say that a LiPo has a lot more power, but I will have to get the 10x6 prop on there before I can really see what it can do.

Look at these wind speeds!
Skyhawk 172 is offline Find More Posts by Skyhawk 172
Old Mar 26, 2009, 07:50 PM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Off topic again, but a lot of us are kinda off anyway

Don't have pics of those cars way back, raz, exwife has 'em The 3/4race cam would at least idle at reasonable rpm and had that wonderful rumple-t-rumple-t sound

In the '50s my dream was a black deuce roadster with a Chrysler V8, and in 2000 we got a civilized substitute. I did some body customizing and had stuff chromed. Stock running gear cause it's a cop magnet anyway. Ran it a couple times at Bandimere Speedway in Denver and can't remember ordinary time (any Vette will beat it). A big chunk of our retirement money (way ahead of the market ) and when I can't drive, it will pay for planes or nursing home.

Only the Vapor will fit in the trunk. I could transport SC in the front seat, but with my luck I'd nail it with the SC like I nailed my instructors pickup.

Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old Mar 26, 2009, 08:01 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhawk 172
I went to the field today, and the dang wind was picking up again. But I was there and it was light. There was no one there. So I took off, and went into the wind. I can definitely say that the 9x5 prop leaves much to be desired. Its performance with a LiPo is about the same as the stock setup. I had two out of my three break as well. I landed after about 5 minutes and check everything out. Voltage was fine, but power was being used up a lot more since I was constantly fighting the wind. I went WOT a lot. Suddenly the wind blew the plane over my head, and I had a minor crash. No damage, only a broken prop. Put another one on, and took off again. When I was hovering in the wind, the motor sound changed, and I powered it all the way down, and the prop had broken mid-air! I did a dead stick landing which was my best landing of the several that I did today. After that I put on my last prop, and took off once again. I soon decided that the wind was getting too vicious. So then I packed up and left.

The battery that I ran was down to about 40% remaining. Although I put in battery numero dos for the last 2 minutes at the field just because I felt like it.

So after that I went to the hobby shop and special ordered some 10x6 props. But they wont be in till next week.

All in all, I can say that a LiPo has a lot more power, but I will have to get the 10x6 prop on there before I can really see what it can do.

Look at these wind speeds!
Skyhawk 172,

Try the E-Flite 10 X 8 thin Electric Propeller. This will provide you with the airspeed for those windy conditions and it draws less AMPs than the STOCK fat paddle airfoil 10X8 Propeller!

http://www.e-fliterc.com/Search/Defa...erm=&CatID=APQ
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:02 PM
Bout FOKKEN time!!
USA, MN, Anoka
Joined Nov 2007
366 Posts
Aileron Throw Question?

I finished my aileron mod but I don't think I'm getting the throws I want.
I think the (single arm) servo horns that came with my HXT900s are to short.
Could someone post what they are using for throw...up/down?
Thanks
CR
charlierocks is offline Find More Posts by charlierocks
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:40 PM
United States, IL, Huntley
Joined Oct 2008
382 Posts
HZ Super Cub intermittent control issue....

Hello,

I am new to RC. HZ Super Cub is my first plane. I occasionally experience a loss of flight surface control when flying my Super Cub. After a range ck followed by a hand launch the Super Cub doesnt respond to stick inputs. It wont gain altitude, just spirals around at a low altitude in a tight bank and eventually crashes. This seems to be an intermittent issue. Unfortunately the aftermath usually requires me to break out the CA and clear packing tape.

Im hoping another SC owner has experienced and solved this issue. I range ck before flight. I measured DC voltage in the 8 AA cells in the TX and the NiMH in the plane. Checked all connectors. Thats all good. The closest I can guess.. is a loose AA in the TX battery compartment. I have noticed that one can occasionally pop up... just enough that it could cause an intermittent connection. Im thinking of trying to insert something to take up any open space between the batteries and the battery compartment door. That should help prevent this issue.

Is there anything else that might be causing this occasional loss of flight surface control? When this plane works... it flies well, and when it acts up ....it usually ends in disaster.

Thanks for reading,
Ken
KenS999 is offline Find More Posts by KenS999
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:50 PM
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Sep 2008
7,433 Posts
I had a problem kind of like this a while ago, you might want to replace the connectors on the battery and the reciever. It could be the battery connection failing, which would cause 0 controll of the plane.

-Kevin
Kmart is offline Find More Posts by Kmart
Old Mar 26, 2009, 10:55 PM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
Hi CR

Show us some pics or dimensions. I'm doing 2 1/2 X 10 outboard barn door ailerons on SC (don't have pics) with EFlite S75 servos, and your HXT900's should be plenty strong enough. I cut off one side of the long 2arm one that came with the servo, and pushrod in outer hole is about a half inch from the hub and the same on the horn. Full throw at trailing edge is 7/8" down and 1 1/8" up (top hinging).

I am doing 40% aileron throw, as much as I can handle, and full throw for me is crazy

Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old Mar 26, 2009, 11:08 PM
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvoyles
Welcome to the Supercub and cars club....LOL

My name is Chris....

Hi Chris. You're a fellow car nut so I'm surprised you haven't jumped in here.

Skyhawk 172. Have you tried a 10x7 or 10x8? They both perform very well with a 3s lipo and it doesn't have to be a GWS prop. APC, MAS and wood all work fine.

Charlierocks. If you have a computerized radio you can turn the EPA up to 120% for more throw if needed.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Closed Thread