HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2011, 04:57 PM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
Wing Mould Day One

In order to mould the leading edge without a seam line, I need to stand the plug on the trailing edge. Easier than it sounds...

Rule #1 of Modelling - Waste not; want not.

This is the section of my junkpile desk that I did not have room for in my kitchen. The top is steel and is complete with T-slots. Best of all it's free!

The T-slots will let me bolt on some fixturing that can be removed or adjusted as necessary. If you can't see it yet - stay tuned, this thread is about to come to life again.

PostScript - you know, I probably drove by a thousand junk piles without a second glance - but a steel top of the right length to fit my wing mould pulled my truck to the side of the road without a second thought - crazy how your subconscious is always watching....

Slow & Low is offline Find More Posts by Slow & Low
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2011, 01:07 PM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
I did some shopping this morning. I found a source for two interesting items only three doors down from my new apartment.

Half-round wooden knobs for registration between mould sections.
These were $0.22 each.

Coroplast Sheet - this is a very interesting material...
I will be using this material for parting planes. $1.39/sq/ft^2 is a little steep, but most of that charge was for the cutting service. It's just what they had ready to go; they thought they could custom cut me larger sections cheaper than what I picked up today. It has a nice smooth surface but there are undulations from the underlying internal structure. The ripple will provide some additional self-alignment in areas were a half-round registration key will not work.
The more interesting property of this material is it's strength to weight ratio in terms of longitudinal shear and compression. Will I be using longer lengths of this to cut ribs and a spar shear web from rather than ply and balsa? There's a very good chance.

Old Apr 25, 2011, 02:26 PM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
Not to jump around too much, but I also found a heat source for my canopy mould. $10 on sale from $50 - wow I think this thing should work great. I read a few reviews and they were all outstanding. (sometimes I'm a little leary about this particular brand name...)

I thought about making up an elaborate heating station, but frankly, I don't think I could've done any better for the cost.

Old Apr 28, 2011, 09:13 AM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
It's a fine line and I'm not sure which side this one comes down on....lol
At least I should be able to sit in my chair rather than standing bent over for hours while I make up this leading edge section.

(I never claimed to be a carpenter....)

Old Apr 28, 2011, 08:27 PM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
THIS IS NOT ADVERTISING, BUT IF YOU ARE READING THIS THREAD YOU MAY WANT TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THIS FREE DVD OFFER.

Here is the description.

Freeman's latest DVD, entitled "Making Parts, Patterns, Tools, & Molds, Fourth Edition", features over 2.5 hours of instructional and product videos, making it one of the most comprehensive resources available - now available throughout the USA & Canada for free for a limited time.

Inside this Fourth Edition DVD, you'll learn about:

* Building Epoxy Laminate Molds (w/ fiberglass)
* Forming a Carbon Fiber Part (vacuum bagging)
* Glove Molding Systems
* Paste Laminating Systems
* Making Rigid Molds With Fast-Cast Urethanes
* Making Urethane Rubber Molds
* Simple & Complex Silicone Rubber Molds
* Surface Casting...and much more

Plus, you'll have access to future videos that will include vacuum infusion, fiberglass repair, and more.

...and here is the link

http://www.freemansupply.com/dvd/

if the link no longer works, please let me know and I'll remove this post, as I think that this is a limited time offer (I got mine sucka's...lol)
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:51 AM
Crash proof pilot
Svizzera, TI, Bellinzona
Joined Oct 2005
378 Posts
Nooo :-(

I'm outside USA... but if the DVD is free can anyone make an .iso image of it and put it on a sharing service ? (megaupload, rapidshare, and so on..)

Or can some US/Canadian friend make a copy and ship it to me in Switzerland ? i pay the shipping costs of course...

Thank you Slow&Low for the announce!
David
FlyDave is offline Find More Posts by FlyDave
Old Apr 29, 2011, 03:56 AM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyDave View Post
Nooo :-(

I'm outside USA... but if the DVD is free can anyone make an .iso image of it and put it on a sharing service ? (megaupload, rapidshare, and so on..)

Or can some US/Canadian friend make a copy and ship it to me in Switzerland ? i pay the shipping costs of course...

Thank you Slow&Low for the announce!
David
I'll make the iso and post a link to it once I get mine for all you guys who live outside of the new world. lol
Old Apr 29, 2011, 03:48 PM
working to the closest cm
brisbane australia
Joined Nov 2002
2,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow & Low View Post
I'll make the iso and post a link to it once I get mine for all you guys who live outside of the new world. lol
Thanks that would be great
Cheers jeff
jirvin_4505 is offline Find More Posts by jirvin_4505
Old May 05, 2011, 04:56 PM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
Part Air Ejector Port Layout.
Primary parting plane.

Old May 05, 2011, 08:26 PM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
...still had a couple copies of the plans kicking around! Yeah!!! Much rejoice rang out at the template work that had been saved...

Old May 06, 2011, 06:17 PM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
...one day at a time...

PostScript - clean up well - dust is your enemy
Old May 09, 2011, 02:48 PM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
...more to come, but I had a couple of minutes and these are necessary steps, so....

#1 - Ensure parting board is clean.
#2 - Wax on, wax off. 3X Carnauba paste (small, small circles)

Old May 11, 2011, 03:05 PM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
Ready for Clay

...well I guess that says it...

Old May 12, 2011, 09:17 PM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts

Old May 13, 2011, 01:41 PM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
Dime-in-clay corner fillets will form upper, outer radiused edge of mould face once all white board formers have been removed later.

The parting plane along the trailing edge of the flap bay has turned out quite well and has been carefully positioned to fall precisely at half thickness. This will give the best case scenario for trimming along the mould edges prior to joining.

This clay work isn't finished yet. Stay tuned, there's still plenty of work to do before we paint on that silicon carbide tooling coat.