SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 13, 2010, 01:30 PM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
Well, good pics are easier said then done when things get this small, but none the less, this was this morning's progress. Count 'em if you like, but I'll be straight with you: I fell one short along the trailing edge of the aileron opening on one side. LOL These things will show up much better cast in the black epoxy.

Oh yes, method is tried and true. Stick a pin into an eraser and dab in finishing epoxy. Apply with steady hand. Controlling the size of the rivet head takes some practice, but it can be done. The ones along the trailing edge at the ailerons are 1/32" in diameter and most of the others are around 1/16". I thinned the epoxy slightly with methyl hydrate. Once it starts to kick, just mix some more. Once it gets thick your nicely domed heads will turn into round globules. I mixed a little heavier than normal with the hardener because the dabs are so small. I'll get some pics of the setup next time around.

Geostomp & Jofo - thx
Slow & Low is offline Find More Posts by Slow & Low
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2010, 07:34 AM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
Cribbage anyone? 15-2, 15-4, and a pair is 6 Flush Rivet ID 0.020" or 0.5mm
Stay tuned...more to come
Old Apr 29, 2010, 06:41 AM
MINE!
Australia, VIC, Point Cook
Joined Jul 2003
3,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow & Low View Post
Cribbage anyone? 15-2, 15-4, and a pair is 6 Flush Rivet ID 0.020" or 0.5mm
Stay tuned...more to come
I got 19..

keep up the good work
Mick Molloy is offline Find More Posts by Mick Molloy
Old May 12, 2010, 12:56 PM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
Rivets and Panel Lines Video

Had some spare time yesterday - the latest video

http://www.youtube.com/user/b1heqh54#p/u/6/IQmNIM-N81E
Old Sep 17, 2010, 08:28 PM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
I decided today that I would begin to fabricate the wing mould for this project. Unfortunately, I quickly found that my materials inventory is in such a state so as to prohibite beginning with any guarantee of completing the project without re-ordering. I am now in the middle of waxing my fuse mould and will tonight, layup the first fuse shell that I will sell to replenish my glassing stocks. I believe that I'll be posting an ebay ad for the finished shell, but thought that I would give a heads up to all of you who've followed along with this project for so long, because it will take some modelling skills to use the shell without a firewall, battery tray, etc. in place. So stay tuned, this one will be layed up with the very best of my materials. If there is sufficient interest, perhaps I will produce a short run.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 01:20 AM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
...just in the middle of a short break.

Tonight I'm laying up the upper sections of the stabs, so it won't be too much longer.

I've had a few questions, so here are some quick answers for everyone's benefit.

If you haven't subscribed to the thread, do it now because this is where I will post the auction details, etc.

The auction will start at $0.01 so that everyone gets a chance.

The fuse is being layed up with a newly formulated epoxy blend that was developed for and is used by Boeing in their structural layups.

It will be without a cowl, although you can order an original equipment replacement from Topflite, a fibreglass reproduction online, or wait for mine.

Here are the Top Flite numbers.

COWL012 ABS PLASTIC COWL LEFT 1 $4.05
COWL013 ABS PLASTIC COWL RIGHT 1 $4.05
COWL014 ABS PLASTIC COWL INTAKE 1 $9.73
COWL015 ABS PLASTIC COWL OUTLET 1 $11.43
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:31 PM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
....a small teaser before I demould this fuse tomorrow.

I will try to do some photoshop work once I have a pic of the whole thing to show the differing layers and weights of cloth in critical places for those who are interested. I'll also have a finished weight at that time. Hopefully this pic will show that it's not as straight forward as two layers of a certain weight with three in the nose. That would be a typical approach, but I've never been one to follow. lol

In the pic there is a layer of 1/2 oz/sqft in all of the corners and down the leading edge. There is one layer of 7-1/2 oz/sqft in the centre of the stab. There's two layers of 9 oz/sqft down the leading edges. There's four layers of 9 oz/sqft in the fairing area (except where the rudder and elevators meet the fuse because there's five layers there. The mid sections of the horizontal have been left open to provide access but are two layers of 9 oz/sqft thick at the openings, except where they've been reinforced with the 1-1/2" strips of 7-1/2 oz cloth that you can see. There's also some 2 oz/sqft in the tips and in the area of the balance tap recesses, which are closed off unlike the rest of the trailing edges.

...and that's just what you can see in the pic - not so straight forward anymore is it? Tomorrow we will have a final weight etc...stay tuned.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 08:22 AM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
Inside this cocoon lies the fuse for your next build. Whoever gets this one is getting a deal; no matter what the cost. Dang, I got a good 4 days of my life into this thing and a whole bunch of my best materials. I have to admit though that I'm kind of excited to see what someone else will do with it. Will you build it out straight away? Will you buy a Top Flite kit? Will you ask me for wing plans? Will you put it on a shelf? Will you tell your buddies about how you took me for a ride? lol Well, this afternoon, we'll all get a good look at it, because today is it's birthday. The dawning of a new age.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 04:41 PM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
Here is a photobucket link to some quick pics. There are a couple of underfill spots that I'll get better shots of when I figure out my camera tonight. I left the cockpit clear so that one of the available cockpit kits can be added. I also glassed over the exhaust ports on the inside. They are all connected and hollow below the internal glass so that they can be used for functional stacks. This is the first time I've used this resin for something so detailed so I half expected a few bubbles between layers and maybe an underfill or two. Strangely they happened where I didn't expect them - I guess that figures. Everything is very functional though. I weigh about 150 lbs and I stood ontop of it on the floor across the wing saddle.

It's not perfect, but I ain't Yellow Aircraft either! lol Still, it should make someone pretty happy for $25 or $30.

I hope the link works. I'll get some better pics up soon.

Weight is about 2.6 lbs

http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/l...rgundy%20Pull/
Old Sep 23, 2010, 05:33 PM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
Canopy available from Top Flite

CANPY058 CLEAR CANOPY $16.80
Old Sep 23, 2010, 07:01 PM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
I quickly sprayed some primer on the underfill spots to give some contrast so that everyone can see exactly what we're dealing with here.
All you need to do is mix up some finishing epoxy, fill the void, and sand it smooth. Everything's good structurally. I also uploaded a few more primer shots here... http://s284.photobucket.com/albums/l...rgundy%20Pull/
Old Sep 23, 2010, 07:37 PM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
looks like auction ends Sunday at 7:30
here's a link and good luck to all

above all - HAVE FUN - it's a model airplane! (or it will be one day)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=220673603823
Old Sep 23, 2010, 09:10 PM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
...forgot to mention you can also search for b1heqh54 on ebay
Old Sep 25, 2010, 09:17 PM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
It seems the most popular question is "will you making others". I can only say that with the present bid at $60, the short answer is no....lol
Old Sep 27, 2010, 04:26 AM
Canada, ON, Brantford
Joined Apr 2007
708 Posts
Well, I was hoping this project might help pay for itself, but I've got shirts that cost more than that fuse went for, and it doesn't look like I'm even gonna see a payment anyway....hmmm....it's a sad state of affairs that the balsa kit to build it cost me three times more than anyone's willing to pay for one you don't have to build. What's the world coming to? Oh well, I think you're all crazy, and it still makes me happier than heck just to know that I can crash as many as I like....to heck with all of ya; you're all nuts! lol