HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:05 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
Build Log
Profile RA-5C Vigilante

This is my first profile jet pusher. I'm really into vintage supersonic jets. If all goes well it will go up tomorrow morning. Really busy all the time so it's tentative. 6 & 9 mm depron. There's some thing I don't like about my workmanship so I'm calling this one the prototype. I'll put markings on the next build. I don't know what else to say... there it is.

Wing Span: 24.5"
Wing Area: 177" ^2
Motor: hexTronik 1300kv
Propeller: APC 7x5 E
Battery: 700 mah 3 cell
Servos: 2 (mixed tail-eron)

Link to video
Link to plans
DreamArcher is offline Find More Posts by DreamArcher
Last edited by DreamArcher; Apr 25, 2008 at 01:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:26 PM
Canada, AB, Okotoks
Joined Apr 2007
1,296 Posts
Looks great. Hope your going to post the plans. I would love to build this one.

Cheers
thedeuce is offline Find More Posts by thedeuce
Old Apr 20, 2008, 11:41 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
Way too windy to fly but here's the video link.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852708
Old Apr 21, 2008, 12:33 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
I was afraid I made another cow, but less wind, and slightly forward CG cleared up stability problems. I gave it less throws but it turns out it needs less pitch authority but more roll. I think my Futaba can do that. I just have to read the manual.

Now I have no excuse not to finish up the marks.
Last edited by DreamArcher; Apr 21, 2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 01:08 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
Glad that worked out for you, My A model was similar, I toned down the pitch, but now my roll rate is a bit slow, but not enough that I have played around with it to change anything. Good Job.

Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamArcher
I was afraid I made another cow, but less wind, and slightly forward CG cleared up stability problems. I gave it less throws but it turns out it needs less pitch authority but more roll. I think my Futaba can do that. I just have to read the manual.

Now I have no excuse not to finish up the marks.
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fullscale Hellfire Missile
Old Apr 21, 2008, 01:45 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
I don't mind the slow roll rate too much but one thing I noticed compared ailerons is these just stop having any roll control at slow speed. the 1st session in 35mph gusty wind was not fun, but overall I enjoyed the 2nd flying session this morning. I'm looking forward to building a 2nd one and fine tuning the construction.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 01:55 PM
Joined Feb 2007
189 Posts
Quote:
I don't mind the slow roll rate too much but one thing I noticed compared ailerons is these just stop having any roll control at slow speed. the 1st session in 35mph gusty wind was not fun, but overall I enjoyed the 2nd flying session this morning. I'm looking forward to building a 2nd one and fine tuning the construction.
... and then posting plans
tooconceited is offline Find More Posts by tooconceited
Old Apr 21, 2008, 01:58 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
That's interesting, I've found that ailerons, especially strip type can cause a wing stall as you get to very slow speed and large deflections, when I'm doing high alphas I find the tailerons will allow large deflection control and the plane won't drop off one way or the other. Might be that you've had to tone down the throw too much, on all my tailerons, I'm running pretty large deflections.

Frank

Quote:
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2008, 02:21 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
Yeah, I saw your video that shows the deflection on yours. That's how I originally mine but have it about half that now. I'll play with it some more. Normally the air is nice in the morning here but there was still a 10-15 mph breeze. I'd like to get some flights in some dead air to really dial it in.

I'll make tracings from my templates and post plans. I literally had the smallest 3-view to work from (wingspan is like 3 inches on the 3-view) and the height and length of the camel-back is questionable. After construction was complete I thought it would be more clear if it was the right size, but I'm still not sure. It looks cool so I guess it's ok. Plus I forgot to add the camera pod on the belly.

I know the is sacrilegious, but I think I might want a higher wing-loading. hahaha. I might move the battery back under the wing and just put some lead in the nose.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:56 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
Got 3 flights in this morning in dead air. 700 mah packs at 10 minutes each. Not sure how much is left but I'd guess I could have went at least 5 minutes more. I'm really digging this plane. It's fast, has a tiny bit more than 1:1, and loops in about 5 feet. Roll rate is moderate but that fits my style so I'm happy with it. It turns on a dime and doesn't lose too much air speed.

My buddy is much better at 3D than me and he was getting it to hover by torque rolling... which looked ridiculous. haha. He did some high alpha and low passes. I got some good video while he was flying. I'll get it online late tonight or tomorrow.

I'm a little confused by the prop I'm running but I'm no expert in power systems. 7x5E on a little 1300 kv outrunner and 8 amp esc. It has more than 1:1. I see way smaller props on more powerful motors.
Last edited by DreamArcher; Apr 22, 2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 01:50 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
that prop sounds right, I'm running a 6x4 on small 1500-1700kv motors,
and a lot of the parkjet motors are 2Kv or better, so they are happy running a small diameter prop very fast.

Frank

Quote:
Got 3 flights in this morning in dead air. 700 mah packs at 10 minutes each. Not sure how much is left but I'd guess I could have went at least 5 minutes more. I'm really digging this plane. It's fast, has a tiny bit more than 1:1, and loops in about 5 feet. Roll rate is moderate but that fist my style so I'm happy with it. It turns on a dime and doesn't lose too much air speed.

My buddy is much better at 3D than me and he was getting it to hover by torque rolling... which looked ridiculous. haha. He did some high alpha and low passes. I got some good video while he was flying. I'll get it online late tonight or tomorrow.

I'm a little confused by the prop I'm running but I'm no expert in power systems. 7x5E on a little 1300 kv outrunner and 8 amp esc. It has more than 1:1. I see way smaller props on more powerful motors.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:49 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
Added a decent video.

Link to video
Old Apr 23, 2008, 12:37 PM
X-15 Jockey
Joined Oct 2006
2,456 Posts
That's great! That's what I love about profile pusher jets, you can fly them like a jet, or you can fly them Not like a jet And then just plop them down on a small patch of grass when done. I think they are even more fun in a little wind.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 23, 2008, 12:55 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
That was my buddy flying. Normally I'm a soul surfer and just love to cruise and make big turns. He put it through it paces yesterday. Now he wants me to cut some cores for him plus one other person.

I need to figure out why my camera won't focus too. Normally it works great but apparently not for small flying objects.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 01:15 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,979 Posts
Plans added:

Link to plans