SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by LOGICAL_PSYCHO, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 09, 2009, 06:20 PM
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs
Just found this post. Bravo man! That is a nice foamy and a great paint scheme and it was applied extremely well. I am envious of your painting abilities. Looks like it performs well also! Thanks for the post.

Diggs
Thank you very much Diggs but, you know, this plane is rather easy and fast to build and the painting is not as hard to reproduce as it looks.

The plane is just 3 colors painted (dark blue on the top, pearl grey on the bottom and some yellow touch for the nose's flamming and that's all...
All red bull and other sponsors markings are some photoshop work + a standard home inkjet printer

Best regards
Dreamcatcher is offline Find More Posts by Dreamcatcher
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2009, 07:32 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
Are you making decals or cutting stencils for the Red bull stuff?

Still a looker of a plane.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Sep 10, 2009, 04:38 PM
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,603 Posts
Hello mate,

Even simplier than you think :

All the Red Bull Markings have just been printed on white paper label sticker (A4 format) then cut with a sharp blade.

Once stuck on the plane, i sprayed a coat of waterbased varnish for acrylic painting (a kind of Krylon i think) to protect a bit the paper and i applied an acrylic "shinning finish" varnish melted with 50% water on all the plane using a small roller. The varnish is to give a glossy look to the plane and also to seal the markings.

That's all

Still not found any Edge 540 plan to build ?
Why not to try drawing them yourself ? You will see, it's not so difficult and what a pleasure to fly your own designed plane !

Regards
Old Sep 11, 2009, 07:50 AM
Australia, NSW, Mona Vale
Joined May 2002
5,450 Posts
I found this three view via Google and made a profile slope soarer from it in packaging sheet styrofoam.

Worked out pretty good ---and I posted some pics of the build and flight, but they all disappeared into the electronic void.
So I am packing it in for the night and going to bed.

Nighty Nights. Paddy.
oldpilot is offline Find More Posts by oldpilot
Old Sep 11, 2009, 09:08 AM
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,603 Posts
Hi Oldpilot !

Awesome picture !
I hope you will open a thread about your Soarer SR-71
I really like the dark look of this bird from the '60s.

I have a lot of questions to ask about your glider like :
Have you stretched up the wings area ?
Did you used an airfoil or a simple flat board ?

Thank you and good night !
Old Sep 11, 2009, 04:56 PM
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Sep 2008
1,103 Posts
Guys,
I've been looking for a plane that looks like GWS Slow Stick. Anyone know if someone's got a PDF. I'd like to build one to fly using an AR6400 brick and motor. So somthing very small 20g ranage 130mamp 1S. I just needs some plans and I'll shrink them down if need be.

Doesnt have to look like a slow stick just a very simple plane. I've got all the guts just need simple plan. I would like to use CF for the fuse and 2mm depron for wings, tail, rudder, .8mm cf for pushrods. 100mamp 1S very light floater to train my son on.
Fidy$Trainer is online now Find More Posts by Fidy$Trainer
Last edited by Fidy$Trainer; Sep 11, 2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 01:18 AM
Joined Sep 2009
4 Posts
One of My favorite Plans

I just found this. Its built out of white foam with basic tools. It looks durable.

http://grosj.tripod.com/radiocontrol/plane.html

Joe Register
www.trekfoods.com
jjregist is offline Find More Posts by jjregist
Old Sep 13, 2009, 01:30 AM
Joined May 2002
5,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher
Hi Oldpilot !

Awesome picture !
I hope you will open a thread about your Soarer SR-71
I really like the dark look of this bird from the '60s.

I have a lot of questions to ask about your glider like :
Have you stretched up the wings area ?
Did you used an airfoil or a simple flat board ?

Thank you and good night !
Dreamcatcher.
When I have got more time I will have another go at it.
It really does demoralise a guy when you spend a lot of time on a complicated post ---and sudenly it just evaporates.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 07:10 AM
Joined May 2002
5,450 Posts
Lets try again.

The drawing.

Parts cut out from packaging styrofoam about 8mm thick, and stuck together with UHU glue.

Finding the CG by gliding.

Covered in black film.

Hows this for "Stealth"

To be continued.
Old Sep 13, 2009, 06:00 PM
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,603 Posts
Nice !

Thank you Oldpilot.

When you write "finding the CG by gliding : Do you means that you have hand launched the blackbird until it fly correctly ? or may have you a "secret from the Lockheed's Skunk Works" or from other lockheed black projects team

Thx

Nice spitfire too... 4 bladed prop reminds me a Mk IX.
Is she a model from Flying Styro ?

Bye
Old Sep 13, 2009, 11:21 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidy$Trainer
Guys,
I've been looking for a plane that looks like GWS Slow Stick. Anyone know if someone's got a PDF. I'd like to build one to fly using an AR6400 brick and motor. So somthing very small 20g ranage 130mamp 1S. I just needs some plans and I'll shrink them down if need be.

Doesnt have to look like a slow stick just a very simple plane. I've got all the guts just need simple plan. I would like to use CF for the fuse and 2mm depron for wings, tail, rudder, .8mm cf for pushrods. 100mamp 1S very light floater to train my son on.
I have considered building something like this as well but with Ailerons via the ar6400 brick and servo. I was going to reuse the Vapor stick and landing gear, but build depron or wall foam tail feathers and wing. I have found a plan that might work, but i am not sure how to scale it yet.

BowStick Thread
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Sep 14, 2009, 03:40 AM
Joined May 2002
5,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher
Nice !

Thank you Oldpilot.

When you write "finding the CG by gliding : Do you means that you have hand launched the blackbird until it fly correctly ? or may have you a "secret from the Lockheed's Skunk Works" or from other lockheed black projects team

Thx

Nice spitfire too... 4 bladed prop reminds me a Mk IX.
Is she a model from Flying Styro ?

Bye
Lol.
No Dreamcatcher, I found the CG by gliding it in still air over grass. I folded a piece of lead flashing over the central "spine" and slid it back and forth until the plane glided very flat. I then put it on the CG machine and located the CG. Although I marked it, I pushed a bamboo skewer through the wing so that I could locate it again once the wing had been covered with black film.

BTW the Spit IS a MK1X. The Ripmax Spit, with a Haikong Spits cowl, and a Vario four blade prop and a GWS spinner. Looks good---but not practical.
I fly it with a 10.5 x 6.5 folder, (like this) and get 9-10 minutes of mixed flying with it.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 06:34 AM
Joined May 2002
5,450 Posts
To Continue:-
The wings and in fact all the forward facing edges were sanded to a fairly sharp rounded edge. The outer wing panels were treated to a "Droop Snoot" treatment as in the full size and the wing tips were given about 4mm of washout to hopefully reduce tipstall tendencies.

The first flight was very twitchy as the large control surfaces had far too much throw. This was reduced mechanically and also an adjustable movement reducer was plugged in between the RX and the ailerons which allowed fine tuning of the aileron movement.

After that she flew fine. The Yellow tails were good for visibility in the air, but she was still a bit "Stealthy" if you got a bad background.

But this is what she looked like in the sky.

Battery was a Ni Cad flat pack placed right on the CG (for the needed slope soaring weight), four small servos on Y leads, and only a two channel TS was needed. Antenna was routed along the wing under the covering.
Altogether a very simple quick and inexpensive way to get a sharp looking and good flying Slope Soarer.
Cheers. Paddy.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 06:54 AM
Joined May 2002
5,450 Posts
OH !!! I forgot.

The fuse was strengthened with carbon tubes top and bottom, taking care to build in the 1 1/2 deg "lift" in the section of the fuse forward of the wing. This equates to a 12mm lift at the tip of the nose, giving a natural decalage , the flattened surface of the forward fuselage acting like a canard.
The wings were stiffened by two 2" wide strips of 1/64" ply top and bottom, glued on with EPS friendly glue. Under the black covering these were not noticeable, but made the wing very strong.

Cheers. Paddy.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 08:25 AM
Warbirds Lover
South of France
Joined Jan 2008
1,603 Posts
Thank you very much for all this details !

Great looking Spitfire too

Cheers,

Pascal