HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 18, 2008, 09:54 AM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Discussion
Cockpit SX Programming help please!

I finished my Carbon Bird and have a couple of good sessions with it. It still scares me as it seems so much quicker than anything else I've flown but I'm getting to enjoy it more with every passing minute.
As my first moulded glider fit out I tried to do everything the right way: top driven flaps, all servos arms as short as possible and offset to allow for differential surface throws.
Using Pilebuck's suggested throws I can get perfect movement on the flaps and ailerons at around 100% servo travel.
So all the programming is done but what I want to do on my 'thermal' flight phase is get a little more down aileron for extra reflex. I've mixed flap to aileron but even at 125% I'm only getting a little extra reflex. The problem is the flaps are dropping such a small proprtion of their total travel that I'm getting the same proportion of the aileron down travel (total down travel is 6.75mm). I know I possibly need less down on the ailerons to keep tip stalling at bay but I still think I need a bit more travel.
Any advice?
I can't get more flap input via a mixer as when Fix Flap is used in a phase it gives no input into the mix no matter what the mix amount is.
I'm probably doing something stupid here.
mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor
Last edited by mr_editor; Apr 18, 2008 at 11:39 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 18, 2008, 11:41 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,541 Posts
1st off you won't need anything like 6.75mm of down travel on your ailerons. Not even close. 2-3mm would be quite a lot. Trust me!

2nd up downward movement is called camber, not reflex.

how much throw do you get on the slider? I never actually used phases on the cockpit, but if it's like the Evo 9, the fix value is a percentage of the amount of proportional throw you have. therefore if you set 100% as a fixed value, you'll get 100% of what you've set in the flap mixer (and flap to aileron mixer).

i'm not sure if this is what you are on about though!

EDIT: hmm.... you mean your aileron throw is 6.75mm down throw, so you're only getting a tiny bit of camber on your ailerons?
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Last edited by satinet; Apr 18, 2008 at 11:51 AM.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 11:51 AM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Sorry. Solved it. I'd been stupid and NOT set the Flap range, just the full deflection range for spoilers. Once I cut the flap down to 4.5mm then the whole thing went swimmingly.
D'Oh!
Old Apr 18, 2008, 11:52 AM
F3B
Warwickshire, England
Joined Sep 2006
5,541 Posts
ah right. Excellent

when are you bringing to to dirty bassett so i can fly a foamie into it, er i mean admire it's clean lines......
satinet is offline Find More Posts by satinet
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:05 PM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by satinet
ah right. Excellent

when are you bringing to to dirty bassett so i can fly a foamie into it, er i mean admire it's clean lines......
Soon I reckon, I can get to Banbury easily then I'll have to get the niece to drive me over.

Anyway it's all set up to spec, except my CG is at 76mm at the moment, and it's exciting enough there for now.

These are the throws and method I used:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...37&postcount=8