SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:05 PM
Buzz Run Extraordinare!
USA, MI, Sanford
Joined Jul 2006
2,369 Posts
Discussion
rocket launcher for any rc airplane

I have been designing a pod rocket launcher. it uses a few common household materials and wood to launch a custom-made missile. the whole system uses a pod, instead of a direct launch rod, to launch the rocket, allowing for use on any plane, including foam and tissue. it works by launching a pod, equipped with ignition system, a pin, parachute, and rocket. when the pod releases, a parachute is deployed on an excessively long string. when the pod tugs the line, the parachute pulls the pin, allowing an electrical connection to ignite the rocket electronically with a 9-volt. this allows the rocket to drop a controlled distance before launch, allowing a rocket to be launched immediately or in time, meaning foam a/c or even tissue could launch a small model rocket. the pod is about 1 foot by 5 inches by 5 inches, allowing any 4+ foot wingspan electric or gas airplane to launch this, and larger to launch arrays of rockets.
b-29er is offline Find More Posts by b-29er
Last edited by b-29er; Apr 15, 2008 at 11:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2008, 01:16 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,240 Posts
I have done and seen rockets launched from r/c cars and boats. You should consider putting an "arming" switch in series with your launch switch for safety purposes. I saw a guy nearly get hit by his rocket when he hooked up the igniter lead with the launch switch "on". It rocketed by his head just inches from his ear. Could have been ugly.
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Old Apr 17, 2008, 06:38 PM
Buzz Run Extraordinare!
USA, MI, Sanford
Joined Jul 2006
2,369 Posts
i know what you mean. i launch model rockets c-size with an accelerometer hit 80mph, and watched thse "lawn darts" commonly known as A-engine rockets go 1,500ft+, and watced these rockes miss small aircraft and immigrants by a few hundred feet. they can be dangerous, but te way i plan to launch is a pod sstem with a carrier. meaning- unless a c rocket can go through foam or wood in 1 foot of acceleration, i doub much could go wrong. the system has a built-in safety in the fact that a parachute has to remove the pin to complete the circuit, meaning no ground or accidental launches are possible without 20 feet of drop, good air speed, and the pin system working. if by some means these all come to play, it will be by an operator only.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:50 AM
Laughs at his own jokes.
Missoula, Montana, United States
Joined Feb 2002
1,168 Posts
Hey kid - You'll put your eye out.

Make sure you get video.
IwantaJet is offline Find More Posts by IwantaJet
Old Jun 03, 2008, 06:59 AM
eupee.com has funny vids
On earth....but I might move soon...
Joined Jun 2008
3 Posts
Heres an Idea. It's a little out there but hear me out.
LOSAT TOW rockets. Attach a small camera like a sony adventure cam, onto a storebought rocket or an Estes 12-d Bullpup recreational model rocket, they'r pretty accurate. place inside the rocket, several pistons or two electric motors for contorlling the flaps of the rocket.

Now all you have to do is to get some really long cables. attach one to the camera, (you'll need a processor like a mini T.V. on your weapons contorl console. (oh yeah, you'll need a consle). Attach other ones to the flap contol mechanism. Ta-dah.

T.V. guided rockets. Of course you would need a faril large plane or a chopper for this to work.

If you wan't a little more bang for your buck, filll the rockets top with some gun powder and place inside a small bullet. Remove the led, take out the gun powder, and tape a nail onto it's primer. when the rocket hits something, it'll push the nail into the primer setting it of, therefore, blowing up the missile......

Wow, that sounds fun. You know what. I'm gonna build one.....
designation1 is offline Find More Posts by designation1
Old Jun 03, 2008, 04:15 PM
Buzz Run Extraordinare!
USA, MI, Sanford
Joined Jul 2006
2,369 Posts
sounds cool...the explosive idea is illegal. read model rocket pkg. it is illegal to place any amt. of explosive in one of these things. however, i am putting the project on hold due to legal aspects (surrounded by trees) and lack of money. i, instead, am working on a pop-can jet of my own design and classification. it uses a typical ramjet design, except for a turbine in the intake and a special air intake aft of the engine that uses the low-pressure air from the jet to suck in more (afterburner possibility).

also, if you're gonna use a rocket kit, why not just make an engine or something that uses onboard fuel? i personally would try a homeade v-1, because the bullpup costs 75bucks, and you can land it! you can't relly land a bullpup
Old Jun 25, 2008, 09:55 PM
AMA 504253 Born in the USA
Hatboro Pa.
Joined Feb 2005
861 Posts
All in all kinda neat but am I missing the rule change in the AMA where it says no projectiles can be fired from an RC plane?
Yellowspider is offline Find More Posts by Yellowspider
Old Aug 07, 2008, 10:54 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,460 Posts
I have seen the firecracker type rockets (long stick with propulsion at front end) launched successfully. Just need to get some batteries and ignite the fuse (close the circuit via a servo arm) similar to how the estes rockets are launched via completing the circuit from the button on the controller. Could rig that up for a few bucks.
Mike
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Aug 09, 2008, 05:40 AM
United States, GA, Gray
Joined Apr 2007
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowspider
All in all kinda neat but am I missing the rule change in the AMA where it says no projectiles can be fired from an RC plane?
That only applies if you want to be covered by insurance.
Disarray is online now Find More Posts by Disarray
Old Aug 25, 2008, 03:32 PM
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,715 Posts
I used to fire rockets from an old Midwest Sweet Stik until the launch system had a mechanical failure and the rocket launched through the prop - luckily the nyrods held the engine after the aluminum engine mounts sheered off. That was the last time I tried to launch a rocket off an RC aircraft, but it was a lot of fun launching 4 rockets off the plane at once when it did work.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer
Old Aug 25, 2008, 10:47 PM
Buzz Run Extraordinare!
USA, MI, Sanford
Joined Jul 2006
2,369 Posts
the method i would like to use is a drop pod. it uses a drop pod to fire the rocket. the whole pod, igniter, battery, and rocket are dropped from the plane. this means the plane never gets hit.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 11:40 PM
Old Time Builder
Keene, NH USA
Joined Jul 2008
56 Posts
Drop Pod?

Interesting.

Hmm.

Drop pod, air resistance and drag causes pod to fall "behind" the plane. Rocket fires, plane now in front of rocket! Gee! oops!

Alternative, if fly plane and turn after dropping. Problem? Never saw a documentary on rocket research, even NASA had many a rocket go up, circle around all over the place and hit the ground right near the launcher?

oops again.

I think I will just stick to plain old plastic bombs with flour in them or something. Certainly an interesting idea though.

The idea of launching an R/C rocket, like an X-1 or something from a C-130 or some 4 engine aircraft has been done before.
jbarradale is offline Find More Posts by jbarradale
Old Dec 27, 2008, 12:36 AM
Buzz Run Extraordinare!
USA, MI, Sanford
Joined Jul 2006
2,369 Posts
a. the nasa research rockets had circle runs. for a self-inflicted impact, you would ne slightly-offset oval run.

b. air resistance would cause the rocket to fall a matter of inches. the plane is wired for about a 1-2 sec. delay. you would see the rocket fire only a mere inch behind and a few feet below.

c. i have seen the x-1 idea. this would be smaller.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 06:47 PM
Old Time Builder
Keene, NH USA
Joined Jul 2008
56 Posts
Drop pod

Okay, as long as you do not put a proximity fuse in it.

jbarradale is offline Find More Posts by jbarradale
Old Dec 27, 2008, 07:56 PM
Buzz Run Extraordinare!
USA, MI, Sanford
Joined Jul 2006
2,369 Posts
no sh-t, really? a proximity fuse? i was thinking more a recreational use, not disemboweling a plane/operator.