HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RobinBennett, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 03:09 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,373 Posts
Discussion
Boomerang

I spent most of the winter planning a plane for windy days and came up with this. It's inspired by a club-mate who electrified a slope plane, and a free plan from RCM&E (which also donated the name).

I'd always liked flying wings for windy weather, but this design should have the following advantages:

* A thinner, higher aspect ratio wing for speed,
* More separation between the motor and the wing, to reduce the noise.
* More protection for the battery
* Better pitch stability, for trim-free inverted flight.
* 3 servos, so I can mix flaps and spoilers/airbrakes.

It has a 50" span, and weighs only 500g - with 200W it should be quite quick but still easy to land. There's plenty of room for a second battery if I ever need more power.

The thread starts here
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Last edited by RobinBennett; Apr 23, 2008 at 03:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 22, 2008, 06:08 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Love your Electrified Boomerang

Hello Robin,

I like this twin boom design and your plane looks really nice. Where can I obtain a copy of the free plan? You had mentioned RCM&E. Also, looking at the booms from the photos, they seem to have a flat-type configuration. What material did you use for the booms and the horizontal stabilizer? Also, how did you achieve the angles in the horizontal stabilizer?

I appreciate any feedback you may have as to I really would like to build one. As you can see in my Avatar, I have built a twin boom plane with basswood sticks for the booms, which are not durable at all. They break all the time.

LG
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Last edited by LittleG; May 22, 2008 at 06:14 AM.
Old May 22, 2008, 04:45 PM
Sussex, UK
Crawley, West Sussex, UK
Joined Jun 2004
7,373 Posts
RCM&E have a web site here http://www.modelflying.co.uk/
You can get back issues of plans at customer.services@magicalia.com

The booms are depron (6mm foam) with a 3mm carbon rod on the bottom and a bamboo skewer on top. I've built a similar model for a friend and used 3mm square spruce on the top and bottom, which was much cheaper but may not be as tough as the carbon. Tape covered foam is pretty tough, as it can bend but the tape stops it cracking.

The curved tail is a fairly standard technique - I covered the outside of the foam with tape to prevent it cracking and bent it around a paint tin. I then held it in place and heated it with a hot-air gun to set it in shape.
RobinBennett is offline Find More Posts by RobinBennett
Old Jun 29, 2008, 11:02 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,533 Posts
Hello Robin,

I've been working on my version of this twin boom plane and I'm about 65% percent completed... I'm trying to figure out where to put the servos for the elevator... On my first twin, the one pictured on my avatar, I have the servo for the elevator embedded in the right wing panel and have a long control wire that extends all the way to the elevator.

Where did you mount the servo for the elevator and what size servo did you use?

I appreciate any feedback you may have....

LG
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG