HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 15, 2008, 02:04 AM
Joined Apr 2008
15 Posts
Discussion
Flaperons with DX6i

Hello. I have a DX6i and I am trying to set up flaperons with it and cannot figure it out. I have two servos for each aileron and the aileron control works fine, but I just cannot figure out how to do the flaperons. I have looked in the manual, but can not find anything about it really. If anyone has any ideas or if you have done this before, please let me know how it is done. Thank you.
Allfat is offline Find More Posts by Allfat
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2008, 09:50 AM
USA, CO, Peyton
Joined Feb 2006
298 Posts
Set it up for dual ailerons Pg 43 in manual. Connect the left wing (looking tail to nose) to the Aux1 port and the right to the aile port. To put the radio to dual ailerons, just change the settings from inh. One recomendation is to set your flaps/spoiler to 0% when you adjust your throws, it is just easier that way (I have had the flap switch bite me a couple of times) Hope this helps
TangoUniform is offline Find More Posts by TangoUniform
Old Apr 15, 2008, 09:56 AM
Joined Apr 2008
15 Posts
Yeah, I had no trouble setting up the ailerons to work, but I just could not get the flaperons working. Maybe I will just play around with it some more today and see what happens.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:49 AM
USA, CO, Peyton
Joined Feb 2006
298 Posts
sounds like your flaps have been inhibited. I would check there first. I guess I did not understand your question... sorry
Old Apr 15, 2008, 01:17 PM
Joined Apr 2008
15 Posts
Yeah, I think that was the problem. I played around with it a little more and now it is working. Gonna go out later today if the weather holds up and see how those flaperons work.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:12 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,344 Posts
What is the plane you'd be trying with flaperons (both ailerons down)? On many planes flaperons may induce a tip stall especially when the plane is slowed down.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:37 PM
USA, CO, Peyton
Joined Feb 2006
298 Posts
I used flaperons in my e-starter and that is about it. I saw a guy use them on a Ultra Stick once.... once
Old Apr 22, 2008, 06:13 PM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
I have them on a golderg cub. they work better on a small setting like 10- 15 degrees. If you try them at full down It makes the plane handle funkey. Real flaps would probally work much better. this is what I've notice
jumpinjo is offline Find More Posts by jumpinjo
Old Apr 23, 2008, 09:21 AM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,344 Posts
Flaps on a Cub?

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2008, 06:14 PM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
Yeah! It is a experiment I was trying. they work ok at 15-20 degrees any more and you don't have much alerion control. It does work pretty well on a kadet senior.The senior has alot larger control surfaces.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 08:01 AM
Joined Apr 2009
47 Posts
I have done this on my plane but I can get the flaperons to go in the same direction How can I do this?!
TheD is offline Find More Posts by TheD
Old Jul 12, 2009, 03:44 AM
Low, slow and dirty
maine
Joined Jan 2008
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheD
I have done this on my plane but I can get the flaperons to go in the same direction How can I do this?!
I did mine thru the radio. Plus I had to change the way the Y harness hooked up to the left and right servo.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 06:32 AM
Videopilot
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined May 2009
2,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheD

What receiver are you using? If you are using a AR500, I have decided (after lots of searching) that it is impossible to do with the AR500 without some fancy remapping of the radio channel or something similar.
Derek_S is offline Find More Posts by Derek_S
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Iconic X
Old Jul 26, 2009, 03:12 PM
Joined Apr 2009
47 Posts
I managed it! Had a useful comment from someone else on here.

Here is what I did:
Left aileron plugged into Aileron Channel.
Right Aileron plugged into Gear Channel.
MIX 1 - Master is AIL, Slave is GEAR. SW is ON. You'll have to tweak the U rate for your specific model. For my F16 I found 97% best to match the aileron channel.

MIX 2 - Master is FLAP, Slave is GEAR. SW is FLAP and the rate is 125% D.

FLAPS - Set to desired angle (down, up for spoilerons).

SUBTRIM - I found I had to knock the sub trim to full whack in one direction to even the flaps out through the SUB TRIM option.

You will probably find you need to tweak the clevis on your ailerons and fiddle with the rates but that does the job good and proper.
TheD is offline Find More Posts by TheD
Old Oct 01, 2011, 12:51 PM
Joined Jul 2011
3 Posts
Thanks TheD!

This worked almost 100%, the flap channel mixed through the gear is crazy but it works. The only catch is that I can't sub-trim the gear channel enough so that the right aileron is in a neutral position (+100 with gear switch at 0, or -100 with gear at 1). So either way my right aileron is too high or low at center. I could adjust the servo arm but that won't get me to a full travel in one direction. Does anyone have thoughts? Thank you!
MirageAkak is offline Find More Posts by MirageAkak