HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2001, 04:49 PM
Joined Jul 2001
18 Posts
Anyone fly the Foxbat delta wing pusher?

This model is apparently sold by a German company (ACT). Interesting delta wing/canard design. From the video on the website, http://www.acteurope.de/Modelle/FOXB...il_foxbat.html , looks like a nice flyer.

Anyone own this plane or know of a US distributor?

Thanks
sticktime is offline Find More Posts by sticktime
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2001, 07:22 PM
Oxford(ish), England
Joined Feb 2001
389 Posts
Well, there were plenty at North Weald (UK) this weekend, seemed pretty cheap and went together okay. could be a little on the large size for one 400, I guess, but i'm sure it will fly. I'm not sure if they're all like this but the one I saw had the vanes at the front providing "elevator" control!

If I had to describe it I would say it is more of a PicoJet/Wattage Mirage rival than anything else, and if I was currently in the market for a model of this type I would seriously consider it.
gdb1973 is offline Find More Posts by gdb1973
Old Jul 03, 2001, 03:17 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,471 Posts
Bought one last week at the new 'Conrad' store in Mainz for DM 79.95

They have a HUGE pile of these.

I'm also looking forward to sugggestions / experiences on equipment as this is definitely no plane for a bog standard 400 - much beefier than my Pico Jet. But then I'm too mean to fork out for a Plettenberg.

Should look neat in a pseudo Russian fighter paint scheme.
ChrisP is online now Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Jul 04, 2001, 08:36 PM
Joined Jul 2001
18 Posts
Thanks for the replies. ChrisP let us know how it flys when you get it setup.

I guess I'll have to wait a while for the Foxbat to show up on this side of the Atlantic.
Old Jul 06, 2001, 11:28 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Videos can sometimes be deceiving. But from looking at the Foxbat video, it appears that this aircraft offers a great combination of speed, maneuverability and the ability to slow down while maintaining stability. It will be interesting to read flight reports on the Foxbat, and especially comparisons with similar aircraft such as Pico-Jet, Twin-Jet, Watt-Age Mirage, etc.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Jul 06, 2001, 05:29 PM
Professional Dork
Winchester, Kentucky
Joined Jul 2000
435 Posts
Based on the video, I don't think it could be compared to those planes, Dave. The Foxbat looks more like a park flyer. I certainly hope someones imports a batch of these SOON!
Randy S is offline Find More Posts by Randy S
Old Jul 06, 2001, 05:57 PM
Joined Jul 2001
18 Posts
Dave,
The stability and low speed characteristics (I'm sure the canards play a significant role in this) are what really caught my eye as well.

Randy,
It does look like this plane could be flown in a relatively small area. I second the motion to have this this imported quickly.
Old Jul 07, 2001, 12:30 AM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts

Looks pretty neat, but the Wattage F-22 Raptor should be
out in a week or two. It uses a 370 geared pusher power.
Whichever gets here first, gets my money.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/128404.htm

DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA
Old Jul 07, 2001, 02:18 AM
Joined Jul 2001
18 Posts
Although it's in German here is link to a few more pics, including one of the foxbat next to a twinjet.
http://www.rc-segelmodell.de/elektro...el/foxbat.html
Old Jul 07, 2001, 03:55 AM
Tiptree,Essex,England
Joined Aug 2000
89 Posts
Bought one of these at the Sandown (UK) show earlier this year, no english instructions but with such a low part count it didnt cause any problems. Installed 480 and Kontroniks rondo out of retired Pico jet, Overlandders built me some 8x1350 mah nimh packs, now all I need is a reasonably calm day and Ill fly the sucker!
davejay78 is offline Find More Posts by davejay78
Old Jul 07, 2001, 03:59 AM
Gravity Is My Friend !!!
Lewisville, Texas, United States
Joined Mar 2000
1,303 Posts
Unfortunatly Horizon Hobbies has an exclusive on it in the U.S. so unless your LHS is set up with Horizon you won't see it there. Horizon pretty much freezes out specialty electric aircraft suppliers due to their FULL LINE buying policies ( unless you but their FULL line I.E. cars, boats, heli's, etc etc you can't buy ). I saw the Foxbat at Dortmund it is impressive but it made me sick when I found out about the Horizon deal.

[This message has been edited by EAMRC (edited 07-07-2001).]
EAMRC is offline Find More Posts by EAMRC
Old Jul 07, 2001, 07:38 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Great pics on the German site. The photo comparing it with the Twin-Jet is important because it shows how two designs can be similar in some ways and different in others. That means there is hope for those companies that can't carry Horizon Hobbies products. The trick is to find another aircraft design with similar performance characteristics to the Foxbat. If it has a delta/canard futuristic fighter look, so much the better. I wonder if the Wattage F-22 Raptor can slow down and turn as tightly as the Foxbat? That does appear to be the Foxbat's advantage over similar aircraft.
Old May 06, 2002, 07:38 PM
Arizona
Joined Mar 2002
10 Posts
Foxbat

If anyone has seen the tower hobbies mag latley, it shows one called the Firebat. It is identacal to the foxbat and is 49.99. I'm looking to get this one or maybe the twin jet. Any opinions on which one I should get? Also, do the canards work? Let me know if the firbat is worth getting. It looks pretty cool. Thanks

Ryan

Oh yeah, if you want to take a look at the firebat from tower hobbies, it is at www.towerhobbies.com
Wingnut 3 is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut 3
Old May 06, 2002, 08:40 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
There are several different videos of the Foxbat in action with various power systems for download at the following site:

http://www.acteurope.de/FOXBAT_Tunin...batvideos.html

I think the one that shows off the Foxbat's low-speed flying characteristics the best is the one called "Foxbat Video 2." It was on the basis of seeing this video that I purchased a Foxbat kit. But I haven't gotten around to building it yet, so I have no experience flying it.
Old May 06, 2002, 08:47 PM
DNA
NE Ohio
Joined Jun 2001
3,311 Posts
Hi Ryan,

Yes the canards are functional.
DNA is offline Find More Posts by DNA