SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 12, 2008, 10:58 PM
Joined Feb 2008
10 Posts
Discussion
Bending 1/16" balsa wood

How would I go about bending this type of balsa wood?. I want to bend it so I can cover part of a plane I'm modeling. Ive read numerous methods of soaking it in ammonia, boiling it with water and steaming it. Which method would be the best? Is there a quick way? I'm not planning to fly this model if it matters.

Heres an example of what I mean.
peternm is offline Find More Posts by peternm
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2008, 11:39 PM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
You'll probably get plenty of advice from older modelers, and there may be lots of ways. Many yrs ago I did it for planes and boats.

A big difference is whether desired bend is across the grain or with it. Bending with it is much easier and is usually the way models are designed. Usually for covering curved fuse and leading edges of wing, it is bent with the grain.

Before putting the curved balsa on the model I bent it around something sturdy with approximately same curve, like dowel, broomstick or tin can. Ammonia sounds nasty and seems to me boiling could waterlog it, and I never heard of those methods. I used Mom's steam iron to steam it. I put a gardening glove on my left hand to avoid getting burned. I held it in place until it dried with pins, rubber bands, string, wire, whatever was handy and worked. If bend is not quite exact final pinning and gluing on the model will work okay.

I hope this helps.

Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old Apr 13, 2008, 01:25 AM
Wind blows
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2007
2,896 Posts
I just boil it for a few minutes in plain water.
Laggard is offline Find More Posts by Laggard
Old Apr 13, 2008, 03:56 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Warm water.. steam... and/or amonia.

Depending on what shape you are trying to force the wood to conform to.

1/16 balsa can be almost shaped to conform to 1/2 of an old "Leggs" egg. without cutting.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Apr 13, 2008, 08:25 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,215 Posts
I built a P 40 using this method, just takes a while but it's worth it. Rough cut the balsa to cover one side of the fuse. Soak the medium soft balsa in the tub for about 15 minutes. I had a foam fuse for the mold/ finished fuse. Go to a farm supplier and get some horse leg bandages, not expensive. It's stretchy cloth about 2 1/2 in wide and a long strip. Lay the balsa on the fuse and wrap with the bandage. Let it dry overnight. the next morning it will be dry and peel off like an egg shell. Do the same with the other side. Cut and fit one side till you get a straight line at the top and bottom of the fuse. I used carpenters glue and glue the one side to the fuse with a bead of glue with a zig zag line down the fuse. Wrap it lightly with the leg bandage just to hold it in place. Make sure there's no glue on the outside Let it dry. then do the same with the other half. Hope this helps with some ideas.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Apr 13, 2008, 08:26 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,802 Posts
It also usually involves selecting your wood so that is is easy to bend, some balsa is rather hard and prone to split.
If it's a kit, sort all the wood into similar grades of softness/flexibility, keep the best for the tighter bends.
Also try to do both sides to the fuselage at the same time with similar grades of wood to stop twist/warps occurring.

I have used hot water and ammonia, (not together), the ammonia works very well, for more for complex shapes, but the smell is appalling. Choose the grade of balsa and you may not need either method depending on the radius.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Apr 17, 2008, 07:37 PM
Joined Feb 2008
10 Posts
Thanks for the help, boiling the wood for a few minutes worked for me.
peternm is offline Find More Posts by peternm