SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 12, 2003, 02:34 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
738 Posts
Triplane plans on short final

For the builders out there.....

Very soon I will have CAD-based plans available for a 1/12-scale Fokker DR-1 Triplane suitable for the GWS IPS DX-A and typical Litestik components. You may have seen this one in the Chilliwack May 2002 Picture Flood thread or the Postcards from Chilliwack thread.

The model builds very quickly as construction is all sheeting and there is no covering involved.

The plans are highly detailed CAD drawings derived from the flying prototype, and proven with subsequent builds. There are two 22" x 34" sheets complete with flat patterns for all parts and assembly sequence diagrams.

Material is mainly white foamcore so you can paint it any colour you want. (or leave it white like Redfern's replica, as I did for the prototype, see below). Note: dihedral used in the prototype has been removed from the design.

More details to follow....
cayuse is offline Find More Posts by cayuse
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 12, 2003, 02:36 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
738 Posts
Another paint scheme:
Old Jan 12, 2003, 03:31 AM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,827 Posts
Cayuse,

Looks very nice!! I'd be interested...I have one of my own about half done, but on the back burner, using three sets of LS wings and a fanfold fuse/tail. Let me know at gofli@aol.com when you get them ready.

Thanks,
David
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2003, 09:21 AM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Looks good -

I am also doing one with LS wings and BluCore fuse. 38"span and 24" length.

Rob
RMason is offline Find More Posts by RMason
Last edited by RMason; Jan 12, 2003 at 06:32 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 06:31 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
cayuse -

What are you using for a cowl?

Mine's going to be a little bigger with a 37" top span and AUW of around 16oz. with a EPS 300C - D with a 12X6 prop.

Also - what incidences are you using. Mine are set to 0-0 with the undercambered wings.

Rob
Last edited by RMason; Jan 12, 2003 at 06:34 PM.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 11:15 PM
Wayne's World - Illinois
Joined May 2002
847 Posts
Very nice!

What would the cost be for plans and shipping...I'm very interested!
Scratchbuilder is offline Find More Posts by Scratchbuilder
Old Jan 13, 2003, 12:50 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
738 Posts
Gofli -

I checked out your site. You've been busy! Those litestik parts make short work of the wings. Have you worked out the cabane struts, yet? That 8-foot Litestik is awesome!

Rob -

Neat looking triplane! Looks like you and Gofli are on the same page. I've built the cowl simply by hollowing out a block of white foam. I've also made one by heat-shrinking a Pepsi bottle over a wooden plug. This makes a very durable cowl very quickly. My concept was to build the triplane small enough to use all the standard litestik components so I had to keep it small. The wing area on mine is about equal to your top wing!

Scratchbuilder - I'm checking out copying and mailing charges tomorrow so I'll have all that info for you tomorrow night. I'll be back online tomorrow after I show my Cub/Beaver group some indoor Litestik flying!

I think I'm finished with detailing so I'm printing a final proof copy tomorrow. If that checks out I'll be ready to ship this week!

Cheers, Gary
Old Jan 13, 2003, 01:13 AM
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,827 Posts
Gary,

Yeah, the 8ft LS crashed when I forgot to throttle back to half after a takeoff, and I overstressed the airframe. Its rebuildable, but havent gotten to it yet. Needs the wings reinforced some, and the tail needs brace wires( thats what caused the crash..tail flexed and I lost ele control ).

The tripe hasnt seen any progress, but does look very much like Rob's, haha. I'm thinking gws 300 power, but not sure yet. I have the outer cabanes on it, but not the center ones or any landing gear yet. Hope to continue on it soon, after I get some other things out of the way. Whats the span and etc, on yours?

Later,
David
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2003, 09:13 AM
Wayne's World - Illinois
Joined May 2002
847 Posts
Oh, oh...

Just noticed which side of the pond your on...while I'm still very interested in a full size set of plans, but, is there an option for emailing a win/zipped shot of the full size plans. It really cuts down on the shipping charges-lol. I just ordered three plans from Traplet, on a UK website{I forgot who at the moment}...DeH Dragon Rapide{$19.50 US}, He 149{$15.00 US}, and a Me110{$12.50 US}...plus $18.00 shipping and the roughly month long wait for them to get here{probably 3 weeks though}. As you can see, the shipping is almost another set of plans-lol. See what you can come up with and we'll go from there....

..."Modelflying.co.uk" is where I bought the plans from.
Scratchbuilder is offline Find More Posts by Scratchbuilder
Last edited by Scratchbuilder; Jan 13, 2003 at 09:28 AM.
Old Jan 13, 2003, 11:54 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
738 Posts
Relax Scratch,

I'm not really across the pond, just across the fence!

Although Canada Post isn't as fast as USPS my experience is that you wouldn't have to wait more than 10 days to receive the plans.

Nevertheless, I will work out an option for downloading the plans from my site, as well as shipping flat or rolled hardcopy.

Regards, Gary
Old Jan 13, 2003, 01:58 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
Joined Nov 2001
738 Posts
Triplane spec:

Here are the specs for the Triplane:

SCALE: 1:12
SPAN: 23" (584mm)
WING AREA: 260 sq. in.
WING LOADING: 4.5 oz./sq.ft.
WEIGHT: 8.25 oz. (235 g)
MOTOR: GWS IPS DX-A
PROP: GWS 9 x 7
BATTERY: 8C, 370mAh NiMH
RECEIVER: GWS Pico R-4P or equiv.
SERVOS: GWS Pico or equiv.
ESC: GWS ICS-50 or similar 2A ESC

Rob,

Regarding wing incidence, I've found that multiwings are much better behaved when the forward wing is given 1 or 2 degrees positive in relation to the other wing(s).

Regards, Gary
Old Jan 13, 2003, 02:04 PM
Professional idiot
Hampshire, UK
Joined Jun 2002
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cayuse
Nevertheless, I will work out an option for downloading the plans from my site
Paypal and a downloadable dxf file would be nice. White fanfold? Do you know how that compares to 3mm Depron?

She's a real beauty, your onto a sure fire winner.
wildpalms is offline Find More Posts by wildpalms
Old Jan 13, 2003, 04:52 PM
A Few Sandwiches Shy
Orlando, FL
Joined Jun 2001
1,961 Posts
Gary -

Sounds great. I'll have to build one to go with my larger one.

The incidences sound good - that's what I have on mine.

Mine looks like it will fly - I installed the motor today and the CG is right on. Did some glide tests today and it floats well.

It will be nice to have some Tripe plans available, doing one from scratch is a pain, and from what I heard the Kavan one was a bit marginal.

My hat is off to you. Scratch building a mono is easy. A bipe just a little more difficult, but a Tripe is a pain in the rear.

What are you looking at charging for the plans?

Rob
Old Jan 13, 2003, 07:08 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,605 Posts
Hurry with the plans, I'm ready!
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:47 PM