HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2008, 08:40 PM
Staying away from trees..
Auburn, IN
Joined Jul 2007
93 Posts
Build Log
GWS Beaver Build - Relaxing park Flyer

The weather has been starting to get nice around here and is really making me crave getting out to get some air time. But, I've currently only got 2 planes and neither of them are in flying condition right now. One has an electrical gremlin and the other is currently without a motor. On top of that I'm at school and my planes are at home.

With the combination of the nice weather and not having any planes to fly, I ordered a GWS Beaver this afternoon. It was an impulse buy, but it is so inexpensive that I figured, "Why not."

The beaver also will fill in a void in my current airplane collection, a fun and relaxing parkflyer. I have a 2CH plane (rudder and Throttle) that is too simple to fly, and then I have a Watt-age Corsair that is a real hand full. I really wanted something that I could toss in the air and have fun with and not get stressed out doing so. Also I wanted something that wouldn't cost much to get in the ari. I've already got some servos lying around along with the radio equipment, the kit comes with the EPS-350C included.

Tower Hobbies estimates the delivery to be anywhere from the 16th to the 18th of this month. So next week sometime the package should arrive. I will probably have to wait until May 1st to start working on it. I will be done with the semester and back home then.

I'm hoping this plane goes together quickly. If anyone has any tips or good advise regarding building and flying this plane, please let me know. I know that the manual may not be in very good english, and I've heard that the wing may need extra support to keep from fluttering. I'm also contemplating lowing the dihedral and adding ailerons, but I probably will build it stock because I've never flown with ailerons before (other than on a sim). Any advise relating to the build is welcomed.

Thanks,
Mark
markag is offline Find More Posts by markag
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2008, 01:19 AM
Super Genius
The more you drink the better my planes look. Orange County, CA
Joined Jul 2006
107 Posts
Tips from Beaverdom

Hello and welcome to Beaverdom. Please check out the "Canada's Latest Beaver" thread. A great bunch of guys that can answer all you Beaver questions.

Here's some tips that I have received and will pass along...
-The stock power system works just fine for flying Beaverly (use 2S Lipo if ya can)
-Either pin the struts to the clevis or look up "Art's Struts" (PM PoudreDerf and he'll e-mail 'em to ya)
-Build light!!!! Go light on the glue, light on the paint, light on...well you get the idea.
-Check out http://www.parisjunctionhobbies.com/gwsbeaver.html Thanks to bob suruncle. (Don't call him bob)
-Learn to say "Eh?!"
-Most importantly...and to quote PoudreDerf "Enjoy flying!"

I'm sure I've left out many little tricks. This should be a start though. Have fun with the build and see ya in Beaverdom!

Tony
MtnBikeGeek is offline Find More Posts by MtnBikeGeek
Old Apr 12, 2008, 01:42 AM
Midnight Maniac
USA, NE, Lincoln
Joined Dec 2006
894 Posts
I build all of my Beavers with around 3.5 to 4 degrees dihedral. Everything else MBG posted is dead on. Good luck.
planekiller is offline Find More Posts by planekiller
Old Apr 12, 2008, 10:45 AM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
And like Tony said, "Keep it light!" Probably the most important thing you can do to keep it a relaxing flyer! And Derf can also lead you to the proper way to paint one.
Have fun and let us know how it goes.
http://www.rcgroups/forums/showthread.php?t=797266

Sterling
yardboz1 is offline Find More Posts by yardboz1
Old Apr 12, 2008, 11:17 AM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
Dont forget the floats!

GWS Beaver on Floats doing a water landing (0 min 17 sec)
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Apr 12, 2008, 03:56 PM
Auburn, IN
Joined Jul 2007
93 Posts
Thanks for the replies. All of your beavers look really nice.

I went shopping today and picked up 2 HS-55 servos and an Electrifly C-12 ESC. I also picked up some EZ connectors. I've never used them before, so I think I'm in for a treat. I think I'll pull my GWS Naro 4CH reciever out of my 2CH plane. I've also got one 6 cell NiMh and one 7 cell NiMH at home that I can use. I think they are KAN400 2/3AAA cells. They are both brick packs though, so I won't be using the defalut battery slot. My birthday is in early June, though, so I think I'm going to put a LiPo charger and some LiPo batteries on my list. I haven't made the jump yet because I would need a new charger.

planekiller:
I am really glad you said that. I don't like how this plane looks with the 10 degrees of dihedral that the instructions say you need. I think I am going to build mine with 5 degrees instead. Maybe someday down the road I'll get the Super Cub wing and do that mod. Or i may try and get a wing from Spithungry (mentioned in Bob Suruncle's website) if he still is making them. I could use the beaver as an aileron trainer then. But for now I'll just use the regular wing.

Modfly:
Floats on this plane are awesome. I'm sure I'll pick up a pair eventually, but I don't have any good bodies of water to fly off of right now.

Everyone:
What size wheels should I get for this plane? I don't like the GWS wheels at all. I was thinking about picking up some DuBro 2" wheels for the mains. Does anyone have a recommendation for a tail wheel? Also, I've read that the Landing gear wire would need to be replaced if I went with aftermaket wheels. Does anyone have a recommendation on the size (diameter) of the piano wire?

Thanks again everyone.
Mark
Old Apr 12, 2008, 08:28 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
Mark,
The front wheels on mine are 2 3/4" Dave Brown Lite Treaded wheels, back is 1 1/2". I believe the wire I used was 1/16". I know they look big, but it sure smooths out my rough runway.

Sterling
yardboz1 is offline Find More Posts by yardboz1
Old Apr 13, 2008, 07:08 AM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
Also get yourself some carbon fiber rod or wooden dowels and re-enforce the leading edge of the wing, it will help stiffen it up. Also put packing or strapping tape along the leading edge as well and try and mold it around the wing tips this is where the Beav is at it's weakest point.

You can always modify the battery bay by cutting the foam for what ever size battery you use and then cover the bay with a piece of sheet balsa or thin plywood. It can be secured with small flat magets. I have done this on both my Beaver & Estarter so that I can use the same battery packs.
mtdoramike is offline Find More Posts by mtdoramike
Old Apr 13, 2008, 02:55 PM
Auburn, IN
Joined Jul 2007
93 Posts
yardboz1:
Thanks for the wheel sizes. It will help me a lot. I don't know if I'll go quite as big with the wheels as you did, but I might go with 2" or 2 1/4" or so mains and a 1" or 3/4" tail.

mtdoramike:
I do plan on re-enforcing my wing a bit. I'll see about getting some CF rods for the LE. I also am probably going to get some of the tape with fiber in it to help with the TE.

I've got a couple of paint ideas so far. I'm probably going to go with the 2nd one just because it is brighter. It is based off of the Microsoft Flight Simulator X Beaver, but I simplified it a bit to make it easier to paint.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 05:55 PM
Mt. Dora, Florida
USA, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Dec 2006
4,040 Posts
Here is my latest Beaver. I haven't maidened it yet. I hope tomorrow.
mtdoramike is offline Find More Posts by mtdoramike
Old Apr 13, 2008, 05:57 PM
Doing it in the Lateral Axis
USA, OH, Akron
Joined Dec 2006
15,360 Posts
should be able to see that coming.
modfly is offline Find More Posts by modfly
Old Apr 15, 2008, 09:40 PM
Auburn, IN
Joined Jul 2007
93 Posts
UPS arrived to my dorm today. I found a slip in my mailbox that said I had received a "Medium Box." Hmm... I wonder what that could be .

It turns out it was my brand new GWS Beaver. I bet you never could have guessed.

The hardest part is going to be waiting 2 1/2 weeks until I can get home for the summer and put this thing together, especially since the box is propped up and staring at me.

I keep going out and buying things for the build though. I bought some electronics the other day. Today I bought some paint and some 3M double sided tape. I decided to go with the yellow and brown paint scheme I posted a while back. So I went and bought Yellow and "Burnt Umber" (A.K.A. Brown) craft paint from walmart.

The instructions look like they are decent. I browsed through them. Some things seem like they are covered really well, and others seem like they could use a lot more detail. It shouldn't be much of a challenge though to build. One thing I did notice though. There is a glaring misspelling on the front of the box. They wanted to print "Easy Build," but instead it came out as "Esay Build." It made me laugh.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 01:19 PM
I think I can glue that..
Paris, Ontario, Canada EH
Joined Jul 2005
1,400 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by markag
yardboz1:
Thanks for the wheel sizes. It will help me a lot. I don't know if I'll go quite as big with the wheels as you did, but I might go with 2" or 2 1/4" or so mains and a 1" or 3/4" tail.

mtdoramike:
I do plan on re-enforcing my wing a bit. I'll see about getting some CF rods for the LE. I also am probably going to get some of the tape with fiber in it to help with the TE.

I've got a couple of paint ideas so far. I'm probably going to go with the 2nd one just because it is brighter. It is based off of the Microsoft Flight Simulator X Beaver, but I simplified it a bit to make it easier to paint.
I like both schemes but prefer the yellow.... now I know why things have been quiet in the latest Canadian Beaver thread... its all going on over here
bob_suruncle is offline Find More Posts by bob_suruncle
Old Apr 16, 2008, 04:52 PM
Auburn, IN
Joined Jul 2007
93 Posts
Once I start building I think I'll pop over to the Canadian Beaver thread and start posting my progress over there as well. I've been reading them over there though. PoudreDurf might be a little disappointed that I'm not using a lot of paint. I don't plan on using my paint for structural support, just the aesthetics.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 07:30 PM
Auburn, IN
Joined Jul 2007
93 Posts
Update:

I just ordered 2 7.4V 900 mAH Li-Po batteries and a cheap E-sky Li-Po charger. I think these will be great to power my beaver on the stock motor. I'm not sure what the amperage rating is for the Stock 350C motor, but I should get decent flight times with these. Especially since I will probably be doing a lot of 1/2 throttle lazy flight.

Markag