HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:08 AM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,123 Posts
Traumahawk, Toma-rock... man that brings back memories! Logged a lot of hours doing my private & commercial in them. Perhaps odd, but all my "trauma" moments involved takeoffs - like the time I wasn't sure I'd get airborne off the 2,200' paved runway, one hot summer day.

Otherwise, never had a bad experience in them, and we did the whole gammut of training including spins (as much as 3 revs). There was one incident were another student had a fire extinguisher get free, and exit through the rear window... impacting the tail. Scared the daylights out of him & the instructor!

Needless to say, I've been on the lookout for an R/C PA38. So far I've lost out on two Airsail kits (one built, one still in the box). I'll get hold of a model of this plane, eventually. Plan to do it up in the markings of the one I soloed in, C-GBIC.
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:13 AM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
three turns? you're more brave than i am! one of our nicknames at the fbo was "toma-coffin." i think there is a kit on ebay right now, but it's half-built and pretty trashed. i'll try/post a link...

rob

edit: can't get the link to work but it's there
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Last edited by rob737; Feb 09, 2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:46 AM
United States, TX, Cibolo
Joined Nov 2011
328 Posts
I wonder if we could generate enough interest and maybe preorders if this short kit could be restarted? I for one would be in for a kit or 2. would be willing to help if kinks still need working out.
Hollywood2979 is offline Find More Posts by Hollywood2979
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:15 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob737 View Post
three turns? you're more brave than i am! one of our nicknames at the fbo was "toma-coffin." i think there is a kit on ebay right now, but it's half-built and pretty trashed. i'll try/post a link...

rob

edit: can't get the link to work but it's there
Flew the real Tomahawk a little and actually built and flew the Guillow's Tomahawk kit pictured, powered by an OS .10 back in 1978 or so, before electric was a viable option. The model flew decently, but was a touch snappy if provoked.

After looking back at the tail assembly shaking when stalling the real Tomahawk, I decided to not look back there any more....
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:32 PM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
i had been warned about that tail shaking.....so i never looked! flying that model on a little .10 must have been fun. the only gas i ever flew were cox .049s (on a bunch of guillows control like kits). then with the advances in electrics i never really considered gas again. maybe one of these days....
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:59 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,276 Posts
Pilot had a kit of the Tommahawk back in the 80's. As all Pilot kits the balsa was excellent. I built it but sold it before I flew it. Tried to get another but no luck.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:34 PM
Mansell Models
United States, UT, Layton
Joined May 2004
1,296 Posts
You know Guys, this thread is almost 5 years old. I still have my Tomahawk, and it is a great flying airplane. I know some of you would like a short kit. I can start putting something together.

Again, there have been some small adjustments that need to be fixed for this bird to be kitted. My problem is I am short on time, I am in the process of relocating, and once that is complete, I have a huge backlog of builds I would like to finish.

If I can find someone that wants to put together another Tomahawk at his/her expense and coordinate with me on some changes, I will do a limited production run of this bird. PM me if you are interested.

Thanks,

Tom
N827TM is offline Find More Posts by N827TM
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:55 PM
Joined Feb 2013
9 Posts
I'd be keen Tom. What do you have to get me started? I have a copy of the old Pilot kit plans that I was going to build - the paid was the canopy and cowling.
trogladyte is offline Find More Posts by trogladyte
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:26 PM
Mansell Models
Joined May 2004
1,296 Posts
Trogladyte,

I also have a copy of the old Pilot Plans, but, My Tomahawk is already drawn up with all the parts. It was actually the first airplane that I caded. I have done many since. I am in the process of making changes on the plans and labeling the parts. I have some down time this week, so I will finish the plans. My cowlings are already molded. I will work on getting this bird knock out so all of you who want a short kit will get one.

Tom
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:31 AM
North Carolina
Joined Sep 2003
2,196 Posts
I am in for sure! I have the Pilot, Guillows and Airsail kits, and would love one of these for sure. I powered my Pilot kit with a Saito .45, and it flew beautiful. This one looks really fun to build as well. All my "Tomahatchet" models fly just like the real one. I absolutely hated stalling the FS bird. No two stalls were the same, and you had better keep the ball centered, or you would learn real fast that you would be in for a ride.
sj3cub is offline Find More Posts by sj3cub
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:25 AM
United States, TX, Cibolo
Joined Nov 2011
328 Posts
I am too, may do 2 kits, great to have such a cool little plane coming back to life, and a great flyer too.
Hollywood2979 is offline Find More Posts by Hollywood2979
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:06 PM
Joined Nov 2004
77 Posts
I would also like a kit
raptor3d is offline Find More Posts by raptor3d
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:14 AM
One cell short of a Pack
Good ole Smithsburg, MD
Joined Mar 2007
1,866 Posts
I'll definitley like to add myself to the short kit list..
steve1814 is online now Find More Posts by steve1814
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:21 AM
Arrowhead
Joined Dec 2010
1,123 Posts
Tempting!
CF105 is offline Find More Posts by CF105
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:54 PM
Mansell Models
Joined May 2004
1,296 Posts
Great News, I am making some significant progress on the plans. There are some parts I am making adjustments too. I am hoping to get these short kits up and going by the end of march as the beginning I am moving. The plans were one of the main things holding up this bird from ever developing into a short kit.

Tom