HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 11, 2008, 12:58 PM
Mansell Models
United States, UT, Layton
Joined May 2004
1,254 Posts
Build Log
41" Piper Tomahawk

Over the last three years I have been looking for a 10e sized Piper Tomahawk kit and was unable to find one. So over a year ago a good friend showed me how to use a good 2D Cad program. I told him I was not going to use it learn, unless I do an airplane that I want. Well this Tomahawk was definitely it. Over the last year, I spent a great deal of time Cadding this Tomahawk.

As a young child I was always intrigued by this airplane. I loved the bubble canopy, the low wing and of course the T-Tail. This bird also had a bad reputation in the aviation world do to the Spin Characteristics. One Nickname it was given was the Traumahawk, and I am sure there are several others.

I worked out some deals with a couple of companies to make it possible for everyone to order laser cut parts, plans and plastic parts. Below are the links: If you need laser cut parts and plans, contact Laser Design Services.

http://store.laser-design-services.com/

If you need a plastic cowling contact Park Flyer Plastics

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/

Anyway I am doing a build log on this bird, and we will see how it comes out. Here is a picture of the parts that have been laser cut.

Tom
N827TM is offline Find More Posts by N827TM
Last edited by N827TM; Jan 24, 2014 at 10:54 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2008, 01:01 PM
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Sep 2004
13,500 Posts
Tuning in to go along for the ride on this one, especially hoping a kit or something may ultimately come out of it.

I did about 25 hours in a Tomahawk and soloed in it, so I'd love to build one too.

Thanks for taking the time to do this thread,
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 11, 2008, 02:58 PM
Mansell Models
Joined May 2004
1,254 Posts
No problem, Barnesjonr.

Anyway a few things I would also like to mention before the build log. The laser parts were cut by Jim and Tina from JTech laser.

http://www.jtechlaser.com/

Qrome from BlueSkyRC taught me the Cad program.

http://blueskyrc.com/

Mike from BMK designs.

http://www.bmkdesigns.net/

All these people have helped me get going with this project.

The specs for this Tomahawk are:

Flt weight goal 26 to 28 ozs.

Motor: HXT 20-22L
ESC: TURNIGY Basic 25A v3.1 Speed Controller
4 Servos: HXT 9 gram servos
Battery for Use: LM Loong max 1300 3S1P 20C Lipo pack

Here is a picture of a real Piper Tomahawk
Old Apr 11, 2008, 04:24 PM
Garry Owen!
Florida
Joined Oct 2004
341 Posts
I too flew the real Tomy back in the day...around 1980. Wow I can't believe it was that long ago. Anyway, I loved the airplane much more than the 152s I learned on. The cockpit was roomy and you sat up high. Well, atleast it felt higher. I thought it was much easier to get a good landing with it due to the wing floating in ground effect during the flare. I would love to build this one if short kits become available.
Yak18 is offline Find More Posts by Yak18
Old Apr 11, 2008, 05:18 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,222 Posts
Traumahawk

I logged time in two Tomahawks waaaay back in the late 1970s-early 1980s. Compared to the other Pipers I flew it seemed very flimsy, and it was downright scary just before a stall, shaking and bucking like nothing I've experienced in anything else. So, I can't understand how anyone could accidentally do a stall/spin in one. Still, it IS a cute little bugger, so I'm signed on!
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Apr 11, 2008, 06:54 PM
Mansell Models
Joined May 2004
1,254 Posts
I decided to first start building the Horizontal Stabilizer and the elevator. I used 3/16" balsa sticks. I choose this because I did not want the tail to be flimsy. Here are some pictures.

I will eventually offer a short kit, for those that want one. I will need to work out some details for pakaging and selling it as a short kit.

Tom
Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:44 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,723 Posts
Tom,
Looking good. Do you have any connection with the real Tomahawk you have in the photo or is that just the color scheme you have chosen?

Jim
eliworm is online now Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:57 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,262 Posts
Heh Geofinpdx, want to feel a plane buck and jump- try doing knife edge in a C-152, not the aerobat version. NOW that was just plane scary, and stupid!
baldguy is online now Find More Posts by baldguy
Old Apr 12, 2008, 02:19 AM
Mansell Models
Joined May 2004
1,254 Posts
Jim, it is just a paint scheme for a Tomahawk II. I really like the Tomahawk II. The Tomahawk I taught in was Grey, Maroon and White. I will see if I can find any pictures of it.

Here are some more building pictures of the vertical stab and Rudder. I built the rudder first then the vertical stab. The tail went together very quick. The vertical stab is sandwich together with 1/16" balsa on the outside and 1/8" balsa in the center. When I designed the Tail I made it with a canyon for the elevator cable. Before all three pieces of wood were sandwich together I glued the elevator cable housing in the vertical stab.

Tom
Old Apr 12, 2008, 02:30 AM
Mansell Models
Joined May 2004
1,254 Posts
Here are some pictures of the Tomahawk I gave instruction in.

Tom
Last edited by N827TM; Feb 10, 2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 06:59 AM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,592 Posts
Be sure to check: www.airliners.net they have plenty of pics.

<---Also has time in Tomahawks
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Apr 12, 2008, 05:30 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,219 Posts
Many years back Gulliows had one that was actually designed for R/C and .10 power. I built one and flew it for a season back in the 1980s with a glow OS .10. It was a nice little flyer!

I have a couple of hours in a real one as well...I much prefered the Cessna 150/152, personally.

A couple of years back someone had a rare Guillows Tomahawk for sale here on R/C groups:

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587840
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Apr 12, 2008, 05:44 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,444 Posts
Signing on - great project!

It has always been a favorite plane (for looks) but I too preferred flying the 150/152 (full scale that is....) but only had one flight in the Tomahawk so not very much comparison.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2008, 05:51 PM
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Sep 2004
13,500 Posts
Its all I ever knew Mike, unless you count some stick time in my buddys 180 flying to the Bahamas and Key West.

I'm hoping I can get a short kit of this one for sure.
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2008, 05:55 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARNESJONR
Its all I ever knew Mike, unless you count some stick time in my buddys 180 flying to the Bahamas and Key West.

I'm hoping I can get a short kit of this one for sure.
To be honest I have very few hours on anything so.......................

But agree a short kit would be great!
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member