HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:24 AM
Land O' Lakes, FL
Joined Aug 2003
842 Posts
Discussion
Incredible New Boat Available Now!

There is a brand new boat that has just the market today! It LOVES rough water, will run right along with the Micro Hydro and SV27. It has a great Jollymotor scale paint scheme (no stickers!) and comes Ready to Run with a stand, 75mhz radio, 40A ESC, etc. all installed. It is equipped with a 2185K water cooled OUTRUNNER motor which allows it to swing a big prop! Other features are top quality CNC machined hardware, adjustable trim tabs, battery holder, receiver already in a balloon, cnc machines ESC and receiver mount, and wooden stand.

All you need to do is add your battery. The price is $299!

SPECS:
Material: Hand Laid Fiberglass
Length: 24.4"
Width: 7.87"
Motor: 2185KV OUTRUNNER
ESC: 40A
Prop: D40mm x P1.4" plastic
Recommended battery: 20-25C 11.1V 2200-3000mAh lipo

It is on the Mini Cat Racing website now. The boats are available for immediate shipping. Go to www.minicatracingusa.com to order

Here are some pics
sailr is offline Find More Posts by sailr
Last edited by sailr; Apr 10, 2008 at 09:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2008, 01:59 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,499 Posts
That's a stunning looking boat!

However, I have a few remarks:

The hardware looks strikingly similar to the stuff Purple Light sells, well made, but the rudderblade can't swivel up when you hit something, at speed this will rip your transom (I own a Purple Light, so I know what can happen...)
All bolts are steel, they rust like mad.
The trimtabs on my Purple Light only slowed the boat down and were wrongly positioned, I took them off.

The handlayup is 'Chinese' quality, which means the outside is as brittle as chalk, even my reinforced Purple Light gets cracks in the outer surface, mainly the bottom, simply by running it, the slamming on the water does that.

It's polyester, in stead of epoxy, so the hull is fairly heavy and not nearly as tough as a similar epoxy hull.

An outrunner in a closed hull isn't the best solution (it's the cheapest), unless it's way oversized (even in that case the long Lipo runtimes will cause it to overheat, specially in summer).

Having run the Purple Light for one racing season, it now has a decorative function on my shelf, running it more will result in the hull falling apart.

So, incredible? Sure, but not in a positive way.

If you buy this boat, be very carefull running it, avoid rough water, don't hit anything, you'll damage your boat very quick, very beyond repair.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is online now Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Apr 10, 2008, 06:59 PM
Land O' Lakes, FL
Joined Aug 2003
842 Posts
Nice troll. Thank you for your expert opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pompebled
That's a stunning looking boat!

However, I have a few remarks:

The hardware looks strikingly similar to the stuff Purple Light sells, well made, but the rudderblade can't swivel up when you hit something, at speed this will rip your transom (I own a Purple Light, so I know what can happen...)
All bolts are steel, they rust like mad.
The trimtabs on my Purple Light only slowed the boat down and were wrongly positioned, I took them off.

The handlayup is 'Chinese' quality, which means the outside is as brittle as chalk, even my reinforced Purple Light gets cracks in the outer surface, mainly the bottom, simply by running it, the slamming on the water does that.

It's polyester, in stead of epoxy, so the hull is fairly heavy and not nearly as tough as a similar epoxy hull.

An outrunner in a closed hull isn't the best solution (it's the cheapest), unless it's way oversized (even in that case the long Lipo runtimes will cause it to overheat, specially in summer).

Having run the Purple Light for one racing season, it now has a decorative function on my shelf, running it more will result in the hull falling apart.

So, incredible? Sure, but not in a positive way.

If you buy this boat, be very carefull running it, avoid rough water, don't hit anything, you'll damage your boat very quick, very beyond repair.

Regards, Jan.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:25 PM
Joined Sep 2007
643 Posts
Expected speed? Any video of it running?
BJM-Maxx is offline Find More Posts by BJM-Maxx
Old Apr 10, 2008, 09:35 PM
Land O' Lakes, FL
Joined Aug 2003
842 Posts
Estimated Speed about 35-40 but not verified. We will have a video soon. Keep watching the site. The first production run just got in yesterday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJM-Maxx
Expected speed? Any video of it running?
Old Apr 11, 2008, 12:53 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr
Nice troll. Thank you for your expert opinion.
Sailr:

Um, Pomp has been around these parts for a while. Note he has about 5x your post level.

Next, your post comes off as a sales job, his comes off as an experienced hand with a given type of boat.

If the boat you are so excited about does NOT reflect his concerns, then specifically counter his concerns. Talk about the epoxy hull, the milled hardware, the stainless steel screws.

Say things like, "Yeah, the rudder doesn't pop up so you'll have to watch where your driving until we come out with rudder mod X, available this summer."

Whatever it is, his post is not a troll post. He has concerns and if you are indeed representing this boat in an official capacity for the manufacturer, you should be able to respond to his concerns. If not, say so and offer to forward the concerns to the manufacturer.

Trite, insulting responses are not the way to engender good will on any board.
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old Apr 11, 2008, 01:14 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,499 Posts
Thanks Shaun,

I wasn't sure if and how to react to Sailr's response...

It most certainly wasn't my intention to 'torpedo' a 'new' boat, but I have been disappointed by the Chinese products over and over, so I felt I couldn't let this commercial statement stand by itself.

I hope once the boat is available, it turns out to be one of the exeptions and lives up to our expectations.

Regards, Jan.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 01:28 PM
anaheim, ca
Joined Apr 2005
2,541 Posts
i agree... pompebled raised very real concerns for anyone looking to sink $300 into an rc boat. it bugs the heck out of me that supervee hulls come with cracks in them and those are pretty tough hulls... how would this one fair in comparison? as for the rudder, it looks like all you need to do is swap in a nylon bolt, or something else that will sheer, for the bottom hole.
lowdive is offline Find More Posts by lowdive
Old Apr 11, 2008, 04:15 PM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdive
as for the rudder, it looks like all you need to do is swap in a nylon bolt, or something else that will sheer, for the bottom hole.
When you look at the picture, you'll see there is no bottom hole you could fit a nylon bolt into, it's a simple hinge type rudder, where top and bottom are fixed...

If you were to swap the bottom bolt, the entire hinge would swivel up, most likely damaging the steering rod, or the arm it's attached to.

Regards, Jan.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 06:37 PM
Land O' Lakes, FL
Joined Aug 2003
842 Posts
I don't "live" on the boards so it's real easy to have more posts than me. I don't see that as making Pomp any more of an expert. I didn't care to enter into an argument with someone who seems bent on trashing our boat. Yes, it is a sales job. The boat is OEM'd to our specs.

"Hand laid fiberglass" does not tell you it is polyester. For all you know it could be epoxy. No, it is not an epoxy hull but it's tough as nails. We've hit a lot of things with it. It loves rough water and survives very well.

It does have stainless steel bolts and nuts.

It is not a swing up rudder. Not many are, even in the expensive hardware. You could put a nylon bolt in the bottom hole of the rudder mount and roughly accomplish the same thing. The hardware is all CNC machined aluminum, not stamped steel or plastic like most trashy Chinese ready to run boats. This is FAR from a Purple Light boat. You are right, they are trash. For comparison, this boat easily equals or exceeds the quality of the Super Vee 27

The outrunner motor is not cheaper than the typical inrunner. The outrunner motor provides far more torque and can swing a bigger prop. Our water cooling solution lets the motor run very cool. No overheating as Pomp alleges.

For what Pomp wants you would need to spend at least double the price of this boat. We would love to give him everything he asks for but most hobby boaters don't want to pay for it. Someone else made the comment ...If I'm going to spend $300 for a boat... That says it all. Remember, this is a Ready to Run boat with radio on 75Mhz FM, not 27Mhz AM, the transmitter has digital trims, etc. etc. It is a brushless motor and ESC, not a cheap brushed setup like most of the other RTR's with the exception of Aquacraft.

In closing, asking questions is great and more than fair but making accusations of bad quality without having any such knowledge such as Pomp did is uncalled for and rude.

We will end this here. I will be glad to answer any questions to the best of my ability but I won't reply to rude sniping and wild accusations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Hendricks
Sailr:

Um, Pomp has been around these parts for a while. Note he has about 5x your post level.

Next, your post comes off as a sales job, his comes off as an experienced hand with a given type of boat.

If the boat you are so excited about does NOT reflect his concerns, then specifically counter his concerns. Talk about the epoxy hull, the milled hardware, the stainless steel screws.

Say things like, "Yeah, the rudder doesn't pop up so you'll have to watch where your driving until we come out with rudder mod X, available this summer."

Whatever it is, his post is not a troll post. He has concerns and if you are indeed representing this boat in an official capacity for the manufacturer, you should be able to respond to his concerns. If not, say so and offer to forward the concerns to the manufacturer.

Trite, insulting responses are not the way to engender good will on any board.
Last edited by sailr; Apr 11, 2008 at 06:47 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2008, 07:08 PM
Land O' Lakes, FL
Joined Aug 2003
842 Posts
The Jollymotor Offshore boats are now available at www.minicatracingusa.com
Old Apr 12, 2008, 03:51 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
4,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailr
I don't "live" on the boards so it's real easy to have more posts than me. I don't see that as making Pomp any more of an expert.
I never thought of myself as an expert, being in the top three of the Dutch and European charts for a number of years in a row now and setting up the boats for my son and myself just gave me a lot of experience.

Good luck with selling your new boat!

I'd love to get my hands on one, just the boat without the radio equipment, which would be illegal in Europe.

Regards, Jan.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 01:31 PM
Joined Jan 2007
33 Posts
I Don't Think Any 24 Inch Boat Handles Rough Water Very Well.
sonny123 is offline Find More Posts by sonny123
Old Apr 12, 2008, 04:21 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,105 Posts
Salir,
Does Robins Hobby in Glendale, Ca. still carry your line of boats ?
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Apr 12, 2008, 09:21 PM
Joined Sep 2007
643 Posts
Good point about the rough water, what makes this boat's design better than the SV27 in this respect.
BJM-Maxx is offline Find More Posts by BJM-Maxx