SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 11, 2003, 05:27 PM
Box Elder, SD
Joined May 2002
1,473 Posts
Why I hate Solite, count the ways

Why I hate Solite covering, Let us count the ways!

1. Some colors stick to its self sooo bad (I'm starting to hate, white!)

But it looks so darn good!

2................(your reasons.....)

This was brought on because I'm using it for the first time to cover a "Dandy". There have been a few times I was about ready to trash the stuff. hee hee

Crashin J
nr5a is offline Find More Posts by nr5a
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2003, 05:50 PM
Balls O' Wood
Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2001
378 Posts
It's light...

But the stuff tears so easily. Brand new blades only when trimming it... and sometimes it still tears.

But it's light
RV-4 flyer is offline Find More Posts by RV-4 flyer
Old Jan 11, 2003, 06:12 PM
Iron Mountain,MI
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
Re: Why I hate Solite, count the ways

Quote:
Originally posted by Crashin J
Why I hate Solite covering, Let us count the ways!

1. Some colors stick to its self sooo bad (I'm starting to hate, white!)

But it looks so darn good!

2................(your reasons.....)

This was brought on because I'm using it for the first time to cover a "Dandy". There have been a few times I was about ready to trash the stuff. hee hee

Crashin J
Try sprinkling with baby powder om the glue side, wipe it lightly with a dryer sheet to get rid of static cling - - - - Amazing difference
uncled is offline Find More Posts by uncled
Old Jan 11, 2003, 06:34 PM
Hoosier Hobby Hangar
Cicero, Indiana
Joined Oct 2002
266 Posts
No major complaints here. I love the stuff, just wish the white was not as translucent as it is, and that they would come out with as many colors as I want....
Crashin, what blades are you using to cut the film? Stick with it, and soon it will be the same as any other covering you have used. But WAY lighter..hehe..... Good luck with the Dandy, Im sure you are going to love her as well.

Kevin P
Kevin P is offline Find More Posts by Kevin P
Old Jan 12, 2003, 02:30 AM
Box Elder, SD
Joined May 2002
1,473 Posts
Kevin, I started off using brand new #11 exacto blade, for some reason they would rip tear cut, rip tear cut. Then for grins I tried a plain old single edge blade and it seems to work 100% better for me!

Wings, and fuselage are now covered. Tomorrow I'll see how Solite works at trim.

Crashin J
nr5a is offline Find More Posts by nr5a
Old Jan 12, 2003, 02:37 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Check out this thread that I had started a while back strictly for helping people get used to solite and covering in general. There's lots of tips in there from other people too. It may be a long read, but hopefully it's worth it.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Jan 12, 2003, 10:32 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Crashin J
Kevin, I started off using brand new #11 exacto blade, for some reason they would rip tear cut, rip tear cut. Then for grins I tried a plain old single edge blade and it seems to work 100% better for me!

Wings, and fuselage are now covered. Tomorrow I'll see how Solite works at trim.

Crashin J
I've had trouble with #11's being sharp enough, and straight Razors. If they are just a tad dull, it'll rip. After some of the tips I've seem here, I picked up some double edge razors, and broke one in half. I used a little tape to cover the backside, and they are much sharper and bendable. I rally like them for this.

Someone had mentioned, somewhere here, that you can buy #11 scalpel blades, that are better. I think they were referencing Ebay, or some medical supply place. May be worth a try.

Oh, yea, back on subject:

- Too much static
- Not opaque enough
- Not enough colors
- Too self sticky
- Hard on blades

But I still love the stuff!
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jan 12, 2003, 12:29 PM
Terre Haute, Indiana
Joined Nov 2000
357 Posts
What brand of double edge blade is the sharpest? I am about to use Solite for the first time on my Cutie but am almost afraid to open the roll after reading these threads. I think I will get some talcum powder. I have the Nelson lite film equivalent and directions tips say to try this. Also mentioned is the use of Aqua Net hair spray on balsa to enhance the adhesion. It is basically clear lacquer. Has anyone tried this?
Richard
Richard is offline Find More Posts by Richard
Old Jan 12, 2003, 02:00 PM
Albany, GA
Joined Jun 2002
2,357 Posts
I love this stuff. I had not covered a plane with covering in years and the very first time i used Solite i was very happy with the results. What i do like is you can put it on and have wrinkles and when you put some heat on it there gone. I love how much this stuff shrinks out the wrinkles.

Mike
Mike Hall is offline Find More Posts by Mike Hall
Old Jan 13, 2003, 09:06 AM
Balls O' Wood
Indianapolis
Joined Nov 2001
378 Posts
The static problem hasn't counfounded me like the tearing... I've been using single edge blades -but might have to try the doubles next time.

My technique has been to cut the piece to size, use two pieces of masking tape as recommended to get the backing started off, then pull the backing off *while* spreading the covering across the surface it's going to cover. I've only had it touch itself a few times and if it doesn't contact itself too firmly it will pull apart if you're gentle.

If you try to pull the backing off up in 'midair' and *then* lay it on the surface to cover you're in trouble.
RV-4 flyer is offline Find More Posts by RV-4 flyer
Old Jan 13, 2003, 09:58 AM
Albany, GA
Joined Jun 2002
2,357 Posts
The way i get the plastic backing off the covering is to pull and edge of the covering to stretch the plastic backing. The covering will not stretch but once the backing stretches its no problem getting the backing off.

Mike
Mike Hall is offline Find More Posts by Mike Hall
Old Jan 13, 2003, 10:42 AM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2001
8,080 Posts
I cant complain about it. For removing the backing, I lay it on a lanolium counter top with the plastic side down and the plastic to be removed on top. Peel back a corner, and as you remove it, the static between the counter and the solite makes the solite statically stick to the counter. Keeps the sticking to itself down and you can lay what you are covering on top of it (if its flat) then lift up and edge off the counter, now if the area touching the counter is less than the are touching the part to be covered, it releases from the counter, touch it with an Iron around the edges, a little heat gun action, (I am impatient) and its done!

Just dont forget its, there and set your coffee cup on it, you have a solite covered coffee cup!

Kirby
kepople is offline Find More Posts by kepople
Old Jan 13, 2003, 11:01 AM
Methuen, MA
Joined Sep 2002
870 Posts
CJ - I hate covering too! It is so much fun to build up all the bones, but then comes the painful drudgery of covering.

Solite and Nelson may not be perfect, but they are the best we can get for our purposes. If you think they are flawed, just try that miserable crap from Tower called "CoverLite". Hard to use and considerably heavier to boot! You will be very happy with Solite after trying that.

I buy #11 blades by the box of 100. I make 1 to 3 passes per blade and then throw it away. I know it is wasteful, but its the only solution I've come up with after covering several dozen planes.
Mike Tully is offline Find More Posts by Mike Tully
Old Jan 13, 2003, 11:11 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,524 Posts
I actually like the stuff. Was amazed at how easy it actually was to work with. I'm used to the heavier coverings, so I wasn't sure how this lite stuff was gonna work out. I had reservations

Like some others I've been using the snapped in half double edged razor blade trick for years. (be sure to cover the "broken" edge, I use duct tape) I covered a MM Cessna and only used one half with no tears. It is hard to cut VERY straight lines with it, so I use a single edge razor blade for that stuff. They cut great when new, but on the first tear I use the other side, then after it is done, put a big black X on it, and use for cutting balsa.

My gripe with it is removing the backing on small trim pieces. You knwo where the covering is too small for the tape to really stick enough to pull apart

Other than that, I like it and will continue to use it when ever a lite weight covering is needed.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Jan 13, 2003, 12:39 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
What covering might be a step up from Solite -weight, ease, etc ?
FlyByMike is offline Find More Posts by FlyByMike