HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2008, 04:16 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2006
1,693 Posts
Discussion
how to transfer paper plan on foam

I know this is a stupid question but I'm just looking for an idea to transfer from ink jet paper plan to a foam. Since I'll be using a cutting hot blade to cut the foam I can't just glue the paper on the foam because I won't be able to cut it. What's the easiest way to transfer paper plan to a foam without drawing the plan on the foam?
Almaz is offline Find More Posts by Almaz
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2008, 04:34 PM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,620 Posts
Al, no question is ever stupid. Its still got to be answered. The Fella's here might have different idea's but I just glue my my plan with a glue stick ( kids use them at school ) onto cardboard templates. Cut out the templetes and either, weight the plan on the foam or stick it on with double sided tape and cut. I've seen some of the fella's make templates from thin ply, circuit board plate etc. Something that doesn't burn easily. Hopefully this might help but one of the fella's hopefully will jump in here with other idea's.

B x
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead
Old Apr 09, 2008, 04:39 PM
Dallas Texas
Joined Oct 2004
917 Posts
I glue the paper plans onto big sheets of posterbord or other cardstock, and cut out the parts. The templates can then be used to trace onto the foam, and they are reuseable.
rockin' roller is offline Find More Posts by rockin' roller
Old Apr 09, 2008, 05:05 PM
"How old are you?"
Brum, U.K.
Joined Feb 2006
544 Posts
Same here, but i use paper and tape over the edges before i cut them... Then draw onto the foam

Mike
Brummeh is offline Find More Posts by Brummeh
Old Apr 09, 2008, 05:37 PM
girls on film
Joined Mar 2008
45 Posts
What

I'd do is use your iron and try to iron the inkjet printout onto the foam. I would work slowly and try to wet the paper after it's been laid down onto the foam. I've never tried this, so write back if it works.

newhackerflyer is offline Find More Posts by newhackerflyer
Old Apr 09, 2008, 05:42 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhackerflyer
I'd do is use your iron and try to iron the inkjet printout onto the foam. I would work slowly and try to wet the paper after it's been laid down onto the foam. I've never tried this, so write back if it works.

I believe it works only with laser prints because I've done PCB's before that way.
Old Apr 09, 2008, 05:49 PM
Honolulu, Hawaii
Joined Apr 2007
313 Posts
Another technique. Scribble on the back of the plans with the darkest pencil you have. Doesn't have to be precise as long as you darken about where the lines are on the opposite side of the print. It helps to use light paper so you can see the lines on the reverse side. Once you've scribbled the outline, lay down on your foam and trace the plan from the printed side. It essentially becomes carbon paper and leaves a light imprint of the plans to be cut.
rc808 is offline Find More Posts by rc808
Old Apr 09, 2008, 06:27 PM
Roflsauce Noobcopter!
Joined Feb 2008
129 Posts
I have tried using sharpie and it doesn't work extremely well: tape the plan on your foam, and then write on the corners until it bleeds through. Then use a ruler to connect the dots .
LlamaFragments is offline Find More Posts by LlamaFragments
Old Apr 09, 2008, 06:39 PM
My plans are in my blog
Kotzebue, Alaska
Joined May 2006
5,416 Posts
I cut out the paper templates, set on top the foam sheets, outline with pen, and cut out. I'll have to give the card stock idea a go, would make for durable templates.
Rusty-Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Rusty-Gunn
Old Apr 09, 2008, 07:07 PM
Joined Jan 2005
135 Posts
Acetone on posterboard

Transferring the plans to posterboard.

Posterboard makes an excellent template for foamies. The full size plans will fit on a typical 22" x 28" piece of posterboard. I get my posterboard from my local Staples office supply store. The stuff I get is the consistency of a poker card and is insanely cheap at about $2.50 for five sheets. To render your plans on the posterboard, simply lay the plans face-down on the posterboard and weigh it down with shot bags or pins.

Put plans face down over posterboard.

The next step is to use white towel (an old athletic sock works fine) to wipe on some Acetone. Make sure that you have adequate ventilation because the Acetone is smelly. You just want enough wiped on to render the plans "clear" from behind. Wipe down all areas where there is drawing data to be transferred to the posterboard. When complete and dry, slowly peel off the drawing and you have a set of plans on posterboard.

RippinFoamies.com
Just ShootMe is offline Find More Posts by Just ShootMe
Last edited by Just ShootMe; Apr 09, 2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2008, 08:02 PM
Mableton, GA USA
Joined Nov 2005
161 Posts
Is a "cutting hot blade" the same thing as a hot wire cutter?
turt1e_b is offline Find More Posts by turt1e_b
Old Apr 09, 2008, 08:05 PM
Joined Nov 2006
1,693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turt1e_b
Is a "cutting hot blade" the same thing as a hot wire cutter?

Never tried it before but I'll be using a cheap method and it should work pretty decent. I'll be using my Soldering iron with attached hobby knife blade. It should probably cut the foam like water.
Old Apr 09, 2008, 09:47 PM
Flying 3 mistakes high
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,522 Posts
I just print out the plans, cut out the paper templates and then use a very light spray of 3M77 on the pack of the templates and put the templates on the foam sheet or blocks.
When finished, the templates just peel off. I have re-used them a couple of times. The 3M seems to stay tacky for long while.
Glenn.
GlennS is offline Find More Posts by GlennS
Old Apr 10, 2008, 01:11 AM
7up
,ɯǝ ʇoƃ ɐʎ ɟı ,ɯǝ ǝʞoɯs
USA, KY, West Liberty
Joined Jun 2001
1,154 Posts
After printing, cut out your paper parts and use double sided tape or glue stick to attach plans to foam.

Take foam safe spray paint and spray around the edges of each of your parts, let paint dry and remove your paper plans and you have a perfect outline of your parts. Just cut inside the spray paint line and you got it.

It's a lot easier and faster than tracing each part individually.
7up is offline Find More Posts by 7up
Old Apr 10, 2008, 06:44 AM
Fly by grace
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
899 Posts
Unless you are trying to make multple copies o the same part, template is not needed.

A hot-knife may be good on a straight edge but it does not cut curve well. Might as well use hot-wire. That's what most foam cutting dude use.

For me, making a one-off foam parts is simple. Spray 3m77 or Elmar's spray can on the paper plan (I use letter size), somthime I rough-cut the parts first but most of time I just spay the wholesheet. Wait a few miniutes and stuck it on the foam. Now use a sharp knife, I use disposible single-edge razor blade from HomeDepot (100 for $8). Cut thru the paper onto the foam. That's it.

Remeber, change your blade often.

Enjoy!
rkhoo is offline Find More Posts by rkhoo