Old Apr 08, 2008, 07:08 PM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,026 Posts
Discussion
150cc AW Yak 54 and 2.4 Radio

Hello,

I just purchased a Yak 54 from Aeroworks (150cc). I want to put a DX7 2.4 radio in it and have noticed some concern on setting this up properly for failsafe flight. I will be installing Hitec 5955 servos for ailerons, elevator, and rudder. I need to have someone that has set this up before tell me what works without question. I plan to buy a power box but what one is best for this plane? I will have a DA-150 in it with Greves pipes and 2 servos on each aileron, 1 servo on each stab, and 2 servos on the rudder (for now). If the DX7 can't handle this in your opinions please say so and why. I have not put out of my mind of buying a JR 9303 2.4 setup. Also which batteries are best to be using for receiver packs no days? Alls these may seem like weird questions for someone with a huge plane, but i assure you my skills of flying are there. I have been out of the giant scale planes for 5 years now and just now returning, many things have changed in them 5 years. I just want to set this up right the first time. Any help with this area is much appreciated.

Dave
edge_pilot is online now Find More Posts by edge_pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My 2 favorite everyday flyers!
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2008, 12:16 AM
Comfirmed Sodomite
Hillsboro,OR USA
Joined Mar 2007
92 Posts
Hi Dave,
I'm not running as large a setup as you've got (100cc/33%extra) but we have a couple of guys in the club that are running 40%ers on DX7's. Both guys are using Smart Fly power expanders. They're really the only way to go. It will except a dual battery input and I think they have built in regulators. You will want to run a dual battery and switch setup to ensure redundancy. The DX7 receiver will work fine with the power expander......the expander handles all the current the servo's require, the receiver never see's any current draw.
I use Fromeco Li Ion batteries. They have 7.6v packs up to 5200mah. I'm running 4600mah packs in my extra on ignition and radio (2 less 5955's than your setup). They have a much higher energy density per ounce in weight than NiCd's or NiMh and the cost is not that far out of line. I think I paid about $60 each for my 4600mah packs. You can charge them with a regular LiPo charger also.
Also to consider on the power expander....SmartFly just came out with a new "All in One" unit marketed for 85cc airplanes. It looks like it would handle the number of servos you're going to use. It has dual Batt input, regulator, expander, and fiber optic engine cut off all built into one unit. Might be something worth considering. It is around $200 but when you add up the cost of the components seperately, you're saving quite a bit.
Hope this helps.

Chris Elliott
OMAS
castlebravo is offline Find More Posts by castlebravo
Old Apr 11, 2008, 09:30 AM
From a Different Planet!
Lagrange, Ohio
Joined Jun 2005
1,026 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have decided to buy both the radio package and ignition package from Aero-Works that has the Smart-Fly Turbo with Fromeco batteries. This should get me everything I need to complete the job.

I still have questions on mounting the DX-7 receiver for maximum reception. Some guys have saying they have problems mounting both pieces of the receivers down in the body. Some people say to mount the small receiver up in the turtle deck. I guess not as many people have set DX-7's up in 40%'s as I thought?
edge_pilot is online now Find More Posts by edge_pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My 2 favorite everyday flyers!
Old Apr 11, 2008, 04:59 PM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
I'd get the AR9100 reciver. You can use up to 4 satellite recivers (I'm sure its at least 3). They will get you amazing reception.
Mike
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Apr 12, 2008, 06:23 AM
Joined Jul 2004
2,580 Posts
I agree with 3Disaster, just make sure you use a battery backer that has an overlapping battery switching mode and use high capacity RX packs as it has been found that low voltage on rx's using spectrum causes problems also keep all rx and high tension cables as far away from rx's as possible as there is no excuses for a bad instillation and 2.4 doesn't fix this, check out the threads of flying giants and how other guys have fitted out there biggies. I'm in the fitting out stage with a 45% CA models edge 540 and the satelite receiver will have to be extended to fit up in the turtle deck and routed well away from all power cables.
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181