HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2009, 01:39 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,450 Posts
actually here is a question those teak decks require maintainance, now I know there aren't eighty volunteers to holystone the decks, how/who does the upkeep on them?
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2009, 08:08 AM
Nevada BB36
Kansas City, KS
Joined Jan 2007
47 Posts
Foo – I assume is volunteer thing. You can contact the North Carolina Museum and find out:

Email: curator@battleshipnc.com
Battleship NORTH CAROLINA
Museum Department
PO Box 480
Wilmington, NC 28402-0480
http://www.battleshipnc.com/

According to their website:
“The original teak decking was installed prior to the Battleship's commissioning in April 1941. After more than 50 years of service, the decking was in advanced stages of deterioration in many places due to weathering and infrequent maintenance. Also contributing to the condition was that during World War II when repairs were needed and no supply of teak available, the crew removed the damaged teak boards and poured a castable boiler compound material, a concrete-like substance, into the space.
An opportunity to replace the original teak decking with new teak arose in 1994 with an incredible offer from the Minister of Forestry from the Government of the Union of Myanmar (formerly Burma) who was on a tour of the facilities of U.S. wood importers. The Minister's itinerary included a visit to a Wilmington importer, Dean Hardwoods. Ultimately, the Government of the Union of Myanmar donated 40 tons of teak and provided the opportunity to purchase the remaining 137 tons at a most favorable price. The project got underway in mid-1999 with the removal of the original teak decking and preservation of the steel deck underneath. After drying and milling the new teak, crews started the painstaking task of fitting the teak, welding studs to the steel deck to fasten the teak boards to the deck, then spreading a bedding compound onto which the teak boards were laid and fastened with special barrel nuts. After the compound dried, teak plugs were installed over the barrel nuts and a synthetic sealant poured between the teak boards. Finally, the entire deck went through a sanding process to provide a smooth surface. In the end, just over 55,000 square feet of teak was installed on three decks of the Battleship”.

Photos of the restoration process - http://www.battleshipnc.com//lucky_bag/pjt_photos1.html
Kampfleiger is offline Find More Posts by Kampfleiger
Old Aug 02, 2009, 09:35 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,450 Posts
oh boy see under "rough looking" in the dictionary for that old deck...I would have loved to have been involved in that (I am a carpenter after all) wonder how long that took? Still great pics though thanks again. I will definitely keep a bookmark of the planking pics you took.
Thinking on it, I have a piece of an old silk powder bag from New Jersey, (it stinks very much bad) wonder if they would be interested?
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Last edited by fooman2008; Aug 02, 2009 at 09:40 AM. Reason: more