HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2008, 12:28 PM
CHESHIRE U/K
Joined Jan 2008
186 Posts
Hi Andrew, I think IRON DUKE was a little taller, and they were not as flat bottomed as you think, just about 1/3 rd of the hull was completly flat.

Here,s a later photo of ID.
bluebell is offline Find More Posts by bluebell
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2008, 02:59 PM
Joined Mar 2008
122 Posts
hi,

Looks very nice

i envy your building speed
i'm looking foward to more progress

Mat
Big_Beesley is offline Find More Posts by Big_Beesley
Old Apr 16, 2008, 05:11 PM
CHESHIRE U/K
Joined Jan 2008
186 Posts
Hi Mat, As I said in an earlier post the model has been completed, I have posted it to help new members, would anyone like to see a photo of the finished ship, or would you all want to see it progress.

Mat it seems your less than 20 miles from me.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 04:48 AM
Maltese sparrow
Leicester, UK
Joined Oct 2004
536 Posts
Bluebell,

There is just enough flat-bottomedness to give a handy base for convenient building, etc.

ID is a handsome vessel, but I wouldn't have fancied working the ATB guns in the side barbettes - not in heavy weather anyhow!

Thanks for posting the sequence - I'm sure it will inspire confidence and action.

andrew
andrewhalst is offline Find More Posts by andrewhalst
Old Apr 17, 2008, 12:13 PM
CHESHIRE U/K
Joined Jan 2008
186 Posts
Your right Andrew, if you notice the rib sections start around the middle of the ship, it helped to keep them stood up.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 04:55 PM
Minnetonka Minnesota
Joined Aug 2007
1,196 Posts
Bluebell, You ought to post a finished picture, seems we think you work so fast you'll really get some accolades if you accelerate your apparent building speed some more.

I'm nearing the point of glassing a relatively large wood hull myself, I haven't sanded the exterior yet but I assume you sanded and then applied the "bondo" any tips on applying that? Cap
capricorn is offline Find More Posts by capricorn
Old Apr 17, 2008, 05:17 PM
CHESHIRE U/K
Joined Jan 2008
186 Posts
I'm nearing the point of glassing a relatively large wood hull myself, I haven't sanded the exterior yet but I assume you sanded and then applied the "bondo" any tips on applying that? Cap

Put it on in thin layers.

Sand between coats

When you get to the final coat sand it with wet and dry emery paper, very fine, and keep dipping it in water.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 05:23 PM
CHESHIRE U/K
Joined Jan 2008
186 Posts
This is what she looks like on the water.
Old Apr 18, 2008, 02:40 AM
Maltese sparrow
Leicester, UK
Joined Oct 2004
536 Posts
Bluebell

Than was a fast build

I'm tickled pink by the arrangement of boats round "Q" turret - its hard to beleive that they would have survived the blast of a single salvo.

Beautiful model, thanks of the look-ahead

andrew
andrewhalst is offline Find More Posts by andrewhalst
Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:11 AM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,612 Posts
I am not sure if it continued into the Iron Duke era, but at one point they used to put all the boats over the side before a battle and they were available for any survivors in th eevent of the ships going down. In any event, they were moved before firing the turret if its use was anticepated.

Pete G
P_J_Glor is online now Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Apr 18, 2008, 05:09 PM
CHESHIRE U/K
Joined Jan 2008
186 Posts
My next step was to cut out the access for the rudder stems.

Then I marked out for the portholes and drill and dry fit my brass billings portholes in place.
Last edited by bluebell; Apr 20, 2008 at 07:32 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2008, 05:18 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,387 Posts
In the WW1 Falklands battle, the British ships did not put the lifeboats overboard prior to battle - it was a running battle, for the most part, so the boats would have been over the horizon in no time. When the British battle cruisers had finished firing at SMS Gneisenau, they attempted to pick up German survivors. The British lifeboats were so shot up, with splinter damage, that it took the carpenter 20 minutes of repair work before they could be lowered. Many German sailors sucumbed to hypothermia before the boats were ready for lowering, unfortunately. The only time British Admiral Sturdee lost his temper during the Falkland action was when he thought a British ship was not speedy enough to lower her boats. The surviving Exec of the Gneisenau was bitter about the delay.

It should be noted that the Germans made no attempt to pick up survivors of British Admiral Craddocks's squadron at the Battle of Coronel a month earlier. The reasons given by the Germans for not attempting rescue (darkness, not sure where British ships were located, battle not over) were accepted by the British.

My own opinion is that those reasons were not sufficient, particularly this early in the War, but that is only my opinion. For instance, the HMS Monmouth was discovered by SMS Nurnberg after dark, listing, on fire, silent guns. The Nurnberg pumped shells into the hulk at pointblank range until Monmouth sank. Then Nurnberg left, engaging in no attempt to search for survivors.

This was a strategic mistake, if nothing else. Sailors were not imbued with the never-talk-to-the-enemy ethic of later wars; who knows what intelligence the Germans could have obtained if they had picked up British survivors. Von Spee was interested in the whereabouts of British battleship Canopus, for instance, along with the disposition of Allied forces generally. He was surprized by the presence of British battlecruisers at Falklands, and his squadron was sunk.

Craddock's men could not have known about the battle cruisers since they had not yet been sent from England. However, they might have known about Allied deployments in the Pacific, particularly those in the vicinity of the Panama Canal, a potential escape-to-Germany route for Von Spee. There are sound military reasons to engage in rescue, leave alone the humanitarian ones.
Brooks is online now Find More Posts by Brooks
Last edited by Brooks; Apr 19, 2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 08:01 AM
CHESHIRE U/K
Joined Jan 2008
186 Posts
The next stage was to make 2 rudder posts and soldier on small brass plates to the bottom.

Then I made a small box and filled it with fibra paste, I then placed the bottom of the rudder post in the paste and left to set.

When set I sanded to rudder width and marked out the shape, this was then sanded to a final shape.

Rudders were put in place and rudder arms and linkages fitted.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 05:24 PM
CHESHIRE U/K
Joined Jan 2008
186 Posts
The rudders are fit, next stage , prop shafts.

Iron Duke had 4 shafts, so I marked out the line where they were to fit, I drilled a hole in the position they were to come out of the hull.

One at a time I ellongated the hole so the shaft would lie nearly flat.

I then put in each 14 inch shaft and glassed it in position, later I fit all the bracing struts.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 09:11 PM
Minnetonka Minnesota
Joined Aug 2007
1,196 Posts
Well done Bluebell, what size prop shafts are they (dia)?

It's amazing how a bit of finish work puts every thing right again, cutting big gashes in the hull is always tough, but once the tubes are in and the finish work is done it looks great.
capricorn is offline Find More Posts by capricorn