HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2008, 03:12 PM
*Sterling Fleet*
United States, NJ, Hammonton
Joined Apr 2008
4 Posts
Build Log
Sterling Chris Craft 63' - Continued Bulding

Hello everyone! I've been reading this site for a while now and I'm very impressed with everyone's work in keeping scale boating alive. I'm 25 and I've been doing this since I was a kid. I first got into radio control with sailing, and actually never had a power vessel under my thumbs yet. But that's about to change.

My grandfather brought me this half built model of this Chris Craft yacht, which at the time I was still in middle school. The thing looked like a behemoth to me. He passed a way about a year ago, so it was only fitting I started with this one. I graduated from school and came back here to South Jersey and she was looking at me from up on the shelf, where she's sat for the last ten years. For a few weeks now I've been working on getting the hull completed up to being primable. Now theres a lull in construction because I'm trying to get my airbrush up to working.

I mostly wanted to start this build log from when I followed "strapats" log on his beautiful vessel (your photo, finished and in the water is actually my desktop background right now)! But if any of you would like to share thoughts with me on this or if there are any other Sterling enthusiasts or collectors, hit me back!

Photos so far:
Charley L. is offline Find More Posts by Charley L.
Last edited by Charley L.; Apr 08, 2008 at 03:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2008, 05:49 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2008
175 Posts
Charley,

It's very exciting to see another Sterling model boat being built/restored. I'm also very new to model boating and I'm working on a Sterling "Classic Dual-Cockpit Mahogany Runabout" which is the very last boat that the Sterling company manufactured. While I wish the Sterling boats were still available, there's something magical about building a model that's long out of production and is unmatched by any model currently on the market.

Darn right the Motor Yacht is a behemoth! But just imagine how cool it is going to be when you can drive a beautiful 40" model around a lake!

When you're ready to buy the RC components for your model, I suggest you try contacting MACK Products over the phone. They were able to put together a package for my Sterling model, which includes the radio, reciever, servos, speed control, rudders, prop shafts, and other really high quality parts designed for the specific model boat. They made packages for all of the Sterling models so I'm confident that they could put one together for your Motor Yacht.

You're really lucky to own one of these models! The Motor Yacht and Corvette unassembeld kits will usually go for about $500 on eBay. I really want to build one someday, even if I have to build it from plans. Nothing compares to these Sterling Chris-Crafts, in my opinion.

Can't wait to see how this one turns out!

-Kyle
kylewp is offline Find More Posts by kylewp
Last edited by kylewp; Apr 08, 2008 at 06:01 PM.
Old Apr 08, 2008, 06:13 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,982 Posts
Hi Charley, and welcome to the forums. Your work so far looks really good. And I am sure your grandpa would be very proud.

I recently restored an old Sterling boat as well.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Apr 08, 2008, 08:48 PM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2008
304 Posts
Welcome aboard Charley. Looking good. Your Grandfather would be very proud to know that you are carrying on the tradition that he started.. I too am building a 63' but I am building mine from scratch. If I can help you with something don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with the build and enjoy it. the old CC's make awesome models.
tinknocker is offline Find More Posts by tinknocker
Last edited by tinknocker; Apr 09, 2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2008, 11:14 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,111 Posts
Wecome Charley, If you have ANY questions on any part of building,rigging, floating etc,this is where to be. Someone always has the answer and usually you get several suggestions for a given problem. All are generally good but I must also advise you to watch out some of these guys have outlandish senses of humor. Also kmot will demand more pictures.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Last edited by charlie eaton; Apr 09, 2008 at 08:11 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 01:07 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,229 Posts
It's amazing how many of the 63' CC Motoryachts are still around in built, partially built and in kits. This is a large and fairly heavy model when completed. I have a really old example that needs some modernizing equipment wise and refinishing hull-wise but is still pond-worthy. You have probably seen pics of my model including hand carved deck figures and furniture etc. Recommend you build a fairly wide and stable display and transportation rack/stand for the model with cushioned holders so it can't tip over in your car. The mahogany hand rails should be made as sturdy as possible and protected as they are vulnerable to damage in handling etc. You will be proud of your as it plows through the sparkling water or cruises at twilight with lights glowing.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Apr 10, 2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 06:49 PM
Edmonds, Wa.
Joined Mar 2007
109 Posts
Chris Craft 63

Charley L.

Your planking job looks really great especially if this is your first effort. If you are planning to run this model in the water, which I presume you will, it would be advisable to waterproof the wood with S-1 two part epoxy sealer followed by fiberglass cloth ( 2 oz ) and finish resin. I like polyester resins over epoxy resins because they don't take so long to cure. However the smell is not pleasant and will require adequate ventillation. Also I think it sands mush easier than epoxy. Like the rest of the members of this forum, we are ready to help if you need it. Keep up the good work and keep the pictures comming.

Dr. Ron
Dr. Ron is offline Find More Posts by Dr. Ron
Old Apr 13, 2008, 08:15 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Polyester applied over a coat of epoxy? Hummmm... I would stick with one or the other... Polyester is a touchy chemical-
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Apr 13, 2008, 08:30 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,613 Posts
Please do not put one over the other. You are asking for trouble.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Apr 13, 2008, 08:50 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2002
206 Posts
seems that he likes polyester better than epoxy
Zoomer-Ron is offline Find More Posts by Zoomer-Ron
Old Apr 13, 2008, 09:39 PM
*Sterling Fleet*
United States, NJ, Hammonton
Joined Apr 2008
4 Posts
Major Down Time

Yo guys! Yea I've worked with polyester resin before on my racing sailboat (not the Soling, it's a 12' two man thing in the garage!) and we had great results. However, right after I posted the first log, I went out and got EPOXY resin and cloth. I tried several samples of course. I got NOWHERE! Every sample I did never dried. All the dates on the cans are current. I mixed resin and hardener to the exact precise amounts. The wood I tested on, as well as the containers, were claen. The basement climate and humidity were fine. I duno! I've decided to go acrylic with automotive primer, color, then clearcoat, then polish. Less of a hassle since I can use the airbrush. Comments are very appreciated and thanks all!

E-Challenged - I love the miniature furniture!

In the meantime, here's some shots from over the years and my other models:
Charley L. is offline Find More Posts by Charley L.
Last edited by Charley L.; Apr 13, 2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old Apr 13, 2008, 09:50 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley L.
I went out and got EPOXY resin and cloth. I tried several samples of course. I got NOWHERE! Every sample I did never dried. :
Now I've had just the opposite results. I have better luck with Epoxy resin versus polyester resin. Go figure.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:47 AM
Edmonds, Wa.
Joined Mar 2007
109 Posts
Chris Craft 63

I've built many models and used the S-1 epocy sealer and never had a problem using polyester and glass over it. It is very thin and really soaks into the wood well. It's easy to use on the interior also since it is not very viscous and can be swirled around to get into all the nooks and crannys. Some of the guys in our club use several coats of it and nothing else and it gives the wood great strength. If it puddles it may take a little longer to set up and get hard. Nice looking sailboats!
Dr. Ron
Dr. Ron is offline Find More Posts by Dr. Ron
Old Apr 15, 2008, 09:44 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,728 Posts
Hey Charlie L;
I too have the 63' Sterling and built her from the kit back in 96. Fun to build and a great sailer on the pond. Your build looks great and I primed and painted mine like you are talking about. One thing I didn't do that I would advise you to do is coat the entire insides of the hull with epoxy. If you put it on heavy it will seal any holes that might be a problem in the future but do it before you put any of the decking on so you can get to the whole insides. Pay particular attention to the transome area as that's where mine developed a leak this past year. Had to sand the area down and patch with epoxy and repaint and that is working ok.
I also have the MACK set up and it's the best.You can use any Tx and appropriate Rx but the motors and shafts and props and couplings are super and all work well together. Alignment of the motors and shafts is critical as that gives the best performance.
Glad to have you here on the R/C Groups forum and especially happy to see another 63' ressurection. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Last edited by norgale; Apr 15, 2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 09:36 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2008
175 Posts
norgale,

I've admired your '63 from pictures in other threads and it's great to see an action shot!

-Kyle
kylewp is offline Find More Posts by kylewp