SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 08, 2008, 10:26 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
New Product
Electrifly L-39 canopy upgrade

If you liked what I did with the Multiplex Twister, you will love this.
This slick little L-39 EDF comes with a display stand, tip tanks and missiles but fell short in the cockpit area.
I knew I could fix it so I ordered one. . . . .Last November
I donít know what the hold-up was at Tower Hobbies but it arrived last week and now Iím done.
My goal was to make a clear canopy with panel lines and a detailed cockpit equal in weight to the stock canopy and not change the original design so the fuselage would be intact. I think I came very close.
I have these canopy upgrade kits available and will fill you in on how to get one after I show you how itís done. This is what you will get in the box.
Two parts sheets, one clear and one white.
Canopy, cockpit insert, 2 pilot figures and seats.
sparks is offline Find More Posts by sparks
Last edited by sparks; Apr 08, 2008 at 11:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 08, 2008, 10:30 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
get started

You will need scissors, model cement, 120 and 180 grit sand paper, masking tape, paint, 3 min. epoxy as well as JB weld epoxy.
Start by separating the parts with the scissors (white sheet) Keep the pilot figures halves paired by marking their inside front and back. They are slightly different and come arranged on the parts sheet next to their position in the cockpit.
Use the 120 grit sandpaper to rough up the bond area where the canopy will contact the insert now while it is not as flexible.
Cut the cockpit insert as close as you can to the front and back ends so you can test fit it in your fuselage. Do the same rough up procedure with the clear canopy on the inside and be careful not to scratch the window area.
Old Apr 08, 2008, 10:32 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
To trim the parts from the parts sheet accurately I simply wet sand the back of the parts with 180 grit until the edge becomes thin. Your progress can be checked by holding the sheet up to a bright light. The parts that should be cut free from the parts sheet are the pilot figures, back seat and the front seat headrest.
Applied model cement to the bottom of the headrest by dipping the bottom in model cement spread on a flat surface. Fast, easy and evenly applied is why.
I placed it in position and moved on to the pilot figures.
Old Apr 08, 2008, 10:34 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
To prepare for bonding the pilot figure halves together I used one of the figure halves to trace a pattern on the table surface. I Squirted the glue along this line so I could dip the figures edge and apply it evenly. The front half can be handled by gripping the face mask but the figure back half will need a folded piece of tape to the back half of the figure for a handle to avoid touching the edges. Allow the pilot figures to dry over night before sanding the seam. Later the front half of the figure will require trimming with scissors so the bottom of the back half can be bonded to the cockpit floor. Back to the cockpit while they dry.
Old Apr 08, 2008, 10:37 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
Tape off the sanded area of the cockpit insert and give it a coat of primer. I used gray because it looked like a good base color anyway.
Clip the bottom edge of the back seat where the molded mark is so you can bend the angle needed on the bottom surface . Bond the overlap with glue and prime as well.
Tape off the black area of the instrument panels and give them the lightest coat you can, you will understand why later.
Old Apr 08, 2008, 10:39 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
While that dries, cut the sides of the headrests and use tape to mask a 1/8 inch edge. Hold this edge against a straight hard surface and give it a slight bend then prime as well.
Old Apr 08, 2008, 10:43 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
To detail the instruments all I did was use a hobby knife to scratch markings in the circles that are molded into the plastic. The biggest challenge was to keep from making a bunch of clocks. This is very easy if you didnít put heavy coats of black paint on. Add a few drops of yellow and red paint drops and you are ready for the next step.
For the glass lookĒ on the gauge panels I mixed epoxy and applied drops to the gauge recesses with a tooth pick. Spreading it around a little was all that was needed, tipping it up on the nose allowed gravity to do the smoothing out.
Old Apr 08, 2008, 10:44 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
For a little more detail I added some green paint to a drop of epoxy for the heads up display then cut a slot in the glare shield to accept the clear plate. (cut from canopy scrap)

When you bond the sides of the head rests in place donít forget to scrape away the primer and use model cement. The eject handle was made with some white wire with the ends stripped off. The red lines was simply done with a red sharpie pen applied while the wire was rotated on the table. The stripped ends was inserted with epoxy on them into drilled holes.
Old Apr 08, 2008, 10:47 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
Painting the pilot figures was made much easier by attaching them to a stick with double sided tape. I prefer acrylic paint for this job. Start with the lighter colors and finish with the black details. I tend to go with the lighter colors all over so the guys will contrast with the cockpit.
Scrape the paint away from the cockpit floor and bond the back seat and pilots in place.
Old Apr 08, 2008, 10:48 AM
C-5 Flight Engineer
Joined May 2005
416 Posts
How do i get one??
PANTHERFLYR is offline Find More Posts by PANTHERFLYR
Old Apr 08, 2008, 10:51 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
Bonding the canopy in place.

Place the cockpit insert on the fuselage and center the canopy on the insert. Tape the canopy in place. Draw a line about ľ inch below the cockpit lip and another along the lip. Remove the canopy and trim to the lower line. Apply JB weld too the canopy between the lines in a wiping motion. along the edge , again JB weld because itís thick.
Caution: As you lift your finger out of the JB weld an epoxy string will form.
Let this string break and draw up before getting it near the canopy. Static from the canopy will attract the string where you donít want it to be.
Place the canopy on the cockpit insert and hold by pinch the canopy toward the fuselage and gently rub the sides until the epoxy sets.
Remove the canopy and trim the excess cockpit insert away.
Old Apr 08, 2008, 10:53 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
Bonding the magnet latches in place.

Coat the fuselage in the area where the magnets are with plastic sandwich wrap.
Place the magnets in their positions on the fuselage and coat with epoxy. Apply epoxy in the corresponding position on the cockpit insert and place it on the fuselage.
Quickly turn the fuselage upside down to allow the epoxy to pool in the cockpit insert and hold it there with tape while it sets.
You can either remove the magnets from the stock canopy or pick up a pair from Radio Shack. Just to be on the safe side I left the stock canopy alone so I have a spare.
Remove the canopy and plastic wrap and you are ready to tape off the windows and paint.
Old Apr 08, 2008, 10:59 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
I would have to say I got close on the weight thing. As for changes to the original airframe . . . I didnít touch it.
I am a little worried about the fit though. I think they might have been counting on the canopy to leak air into the compartment. This one might fit too good.
If my ďstuff ď gets hot I might need to make small holes through the belly to let the air in.
Old Apr 08, 2008, 11:08 AM
Suspended Account
Mercer Co. PA
Joined Mar 2008
825 Posts
I was waiting for this one Keith.
I always thought that plane would look decent with a real clear canopy. Wonder why they have to make them with foam. Also would like to repaint over the blue scheme. I thought about getting one, and the glass would be the first mod.

Bill
EDF30 is offline Find More Posts by EDF30
Old Apr 08, 2008, 11:10 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,562 Posts
Get one for yours

Wow, three PM's by post #5 I think that's a record.
Here is what you were waiting for.
I have the L-39 canopy up-grade available for $14 shipped in the United States USPS priority.
Please contact me at parkflyerplastics@att.net
Ask for the L-39 canopy and Iíll send you a form letter with shipping information and payment options.
PM's Are impossible for my wife to keep up with and she does the shipping.

This keep me in the shop longer and that's really where you want me.

Shipping overseas is expensive and the paperwork is unbelievable.
So it would be best if you could find a friend or two that wants one so you can split the shipping cost. Contact me with the amount you want and where you are at for a shipping price quote.

Iíll get back with you all and let you know how it flies soon.