HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 12, 2008, 12:47 AM
Ljubljana Brnik, Slovenia
Joined Sep 2004
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr41
I ordered the carbon tube from Hobbycity for a look-see. It might be a bit light but seems well made so I'm going to use it. If it fails I'll let you know!
I also got a larger tube, 11mm O/D, with a view to building a 2m Guppy or possible enlarging the design to 2.5m.
Rich
Rich, I would like to hear opinion from you, about carbon tube, when you will recieve it.

Mitja
ultralajt is offline Find More Posts by ultralajt
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2008, 01:03 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,239 Posts
6-mins made a suggestions to rcgroups two days ago:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...81&postcount=1

6-mins, I tryed to be polite, and helpfull, but now you disappointed me.

Do you really think, as you said:
Suggestion - the GUPPY threads should be removed
they are taking up space are not any use.

I can tell you that many hundreds Guppies were build all over the world, and Guppy threads are visited by enormus numbers of visitors. Just look at the Rating and Views.

Guppy is my original product, I spend a lot of my spare time, preparing the prototypes, making plans, drawings and instructions, spend a lot of time beeing on-line on the forum, and give my best to help builders on best possible way I can.

I did not recieve any money for my work, but I get many friends all over the world and that is a treasure, that anyone can steal from me. Thaks to Guppy, that cute small wooden glider!

So, one ofended "would be a Guppy builder" as you, can not change that, even starting a "Guppy thread removal suggestion" every day to rcgroups moderators.

Mitja
Old Jun 12, 2008, 01:24 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,239 Posts
I decided to report 6-mins suggestion about removing Guppy electric saiplane threads, as I dont agree with it.

Quote:
Hi!

Forum member 6-mins build a Guppy model, and complain a lot about it.
Me and other members tried to help him with helpfull suggestions and hints, but he did not accept them, and build a modified version of Guppy. He made a real mess and dissaster from well designed model... allmost a parody to Guppy proper assembly.

After that, he started this thread, where he suggest, that Guppy threads should be removed.

If you look at both Guppy threads ,
Part 1: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=539755
Part 2: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846438

Just brief look at the numbers (views), rating and number of happy builders (over 200 all over the world), tells that this Guppy sailplane building thread give so much pleasure to the wide RC modelling comunity, that should not be deleted on base of such maliciousness suggestions, as 6-mins did here.

With best regards!

Mitja
Last edited by ultralajt; Jun 12, 2008 at 02:01 AM.
Old Jun 12, 2008, 02:48 AM
WHB
Joined Mar 2008
8 Posts
Hi Mitja,

All the credits are for you. The plan is very clear. And for what's not you have a drawn partlist of al the parts with all the measures. You can printout everything and copy it 1 to 1 to your balsa / ply sheets. You nearly can't do anything wrong. Just look well and work precise!

So I realy don't why all this crumble of 6-mins.

Hendrik Harmensz
WHB is offline Find More Posts by WHB
Old Jun 12, 2008, 03:19 AM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Northwest Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-mins
i have finished the part, i think it is very strong and can easily withstand the hardest crash.
The question here is -

Will it get high enough off the ground to have a crash to withstand?
CurtissP40 is offline Find More Posts by CurtissP40
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2008, 04:08 AM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,020 Posts
Closed

Hi Mitja, I wanted to take a few seconds and tell you thank you very much for bringing the Guppy to the world. There is nothing or no one that can take away your accomplishments from you. There is always someone out there that will put down anything and everything that they did not do them selves.
Long live the "Guppy",,,, oh and when will the Guppy have bigger Guppies?

Have a nice day....

Best Regards,

Wylie Shaw
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old Jun 12, 2008, 04:14 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,239 Posts
Thank pals for support!

Mitja

P.S.: Bigger Guppies..... we work on that matter
Old Jun 12, 2008, 08:36 AM
Joined Apr 2008
17 Posts
Hi Mitja and all,

I have a Guppy since a little more than one month and an Ultron (a 3D depron plane also designed by Mitja) since a couple of weeks and I really enjoy flying these models. The quality of the plans and of the instructions manual are better than what we can found in many commercial kits and the flying characteristics are very very good. In addition, people usually make some compliments about the look of these models. Then, I do not understand the messages of 6-mins.

I hope that 6-mins do not fly in real plane constructed by him...
geoffroy is offline Find More Posts by geoffroy
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:27 PM
Malanda, QLD Australia
Joined Jul 2004
973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralajt
Rich, I would like to hear opinion from you, about carbon tube, when you will recieve it.

Mitja
Hi Mitja,
The tubes arrived- the smaller size is 6mm o/d, 1mm wall thickness. It is well made and seems adequately strong given the thin walls. It is more flexible than some thicker walled tube I have but I think it will be strong enough for the 1.5m Guppy with its balsa boom fairing.

The larger size is 11mm o/d with 1mm wall thickness. It has a layer of spiral-wound carbon and is reasonably stiff, again taking the thin walls into consideration. I really don't know if it's strong enough for a 2m or larger model but if I get around to building a larger Guppy I'll use it and let you know how it goes.

Rich
Zephyr41 is offline Find More Posts by Zephyr41
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:07 AM
Tampines, Singapore
Joined May 2006
40 Posts
my first guppy

This is my almost complete Guppy. Need to make a canopy for it.

MS
msc2000 is offline Find More Posts by msc2000
Old Jun 27, 2008, 01:11 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msc2000
This is my almost complete Guppy. Need to make a canopy for it.

MS
Nice!

If you can use it, there is an explanation of one simple way to make canopies:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=90

Mitja
Old Jun 27, 2008, 09:40 PM
Larry
charlotte nc.
Joined Jul 2005
229 Posts
the easyest way to make a canopy is to look for the perfect soda bottle, the dr pepper long neck 20oz is perfect for a guppy if you choose the proper area to cut. no boiling ect.
goliathman is offline Find More Posts by goliathman
Old Jun 28, 2008, 11:08 AM
Gravity sucks
United States, WA, Richland
Joined Mar 2006
2,488 Posts
SoCal Guppy

Here is my addition to the school of Guppies. It is a pseudo-hotliner I built it from a Polecat Aero kit. I removed the polyhedral from the wing and added ailerons, but left the airfoil alone. The powerplant is a KD A20-22L brushless motor, Turnigy Plush 25A speed controller, ZippyK 1800 mah 3S LiPo battery, and a Graupner CAM 9-6 folding prop. It is my first electric sailplane and I probably went a little overboard on the powerplant. It ended up nose heavy. I had to add 0.9 oz of lead to the tail to balance the plane and the all up weight came out a little higher than I expected (21 oz). I hope to maiden it today and bring it home in one piece!

Mike
SrWade is online now Find More Posts by SrWade
Old Jun 28, 2008, 12:15 PM
We'll all float on OK
Casselberry, Florida
Joined Dec 2002
1,507 Posts
Mitja, I have not been able to start my Guppy yet because of other projects.

However, I think it is the most beautiful wooden sailplane I have ever seen. You are an invaluble asset to R/C Groups, and modelers everywhere. I cannot wait for V2, and the bigger Guppy, they will share space in my fleet as soon as I am able to make it so.

Please do not let one Troll dissuade you in anyway, like you said, look at all the posts and views, people are reading with much interest.
Tom Korn is offline Find More Posts by Tom Korn
Old Jul 01, 2008, 06:21 AM
Larry
charlotte nc.
Joined Jul 2005
229 Posts
Ive built three guppies so far. A person at my field liked the last one so much they paid me $400 for it. The wing goes togeather fast. i would suggest the following:

A strap of CF tow along the bottom of the spar tip to tip.

some 1/64 ply on the sides in the wing saddle area.

use a real CF arrow shaft for strength, and use plenty of poly glue along its entire length.(mitja wasnt kidding here)

Build the tail exactly to plans. you do NOT need large excursions on the control surfaces!

I cover the fuse with 3/4 oz glass, and double the glass in the front,wing saddle forward.
goliathman is offline Find More Posts by goliathman