SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 29, 2008, 01:23 AM
Ljubljana Brnik, Slovenia
Joined Sep 2004
1,247 Posts
Bj÷rn, I buy poliurethane glue in store for "home builders" at Baumax or Bauhaus.

It looks like "honnig" and it flows also like "honig". It neads water moisture to expand and harden. Id moisture came from air only, the process of expanding and hardening of that glue can be very slow.
So, adding water based white wood glue and a bit of water, speed up that process and create a foammy mass that is light, sandable and hold parts nice together.

If you put glued parts somwhere on warm place, the expanding and hardening time is shortened.
I hope, you will find equivalent glue.

Maybe this link can help: http://www.kd-modelltechnik.de/shop/...Klebstoff.html

Mitja
ultralajt is offline Find More Posts by ultralajt
Last edited by ultralajt; May 29, 2008 at 02:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2008, 02:03 AM
Joined Apr 2008
85 Posts
do i need to use dope on the whole aeroplane? or just some parts that need reinforcing?
if you dont know what i mean by dope, its that glue like stuff you paint on the balsa to make it harder with less weight.
6-mins is offline Find More Posts by 6-mins
Old May 29, 2008, 02:27 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-mins
do i need to use dope on the whole aeroplane? or just some parts that need reinforcing?
if you dont know what i mean by dope, its that glue like stuff you paint on the balsa to make it harder with less weight.
I never use any dope on my Guppies, except the very first prototype, where I use paint for the whole fuselage. I made one coat of 4 coats of cxanned white paint and then I polish the surface. I get the same finisha like on composite fuselages.
Old May 29, 2008, 03:51 AM
WHB
Joined Mar 2008
8 Posts
Hi every body,

At this moment I'm building a second hotliner Guppy.

In my first Guppy I have a lot of elbow-room on the pushrod of the elevator. To give a more smooth stearing I changed the 0.8 mm steel wire for a 0.6 mm. I think this causes my problem for the most. In normal flight it is oke, but when I set my Pulsar 15 outrunner to climb I have to take care.

I don't know if anybody has this problem to, but I found a very nice stearing cable in the local shop. It is made by Sullivan and it is very flexible. Bending it with a radius of 5 cm is no problem and it slides still very smoothly. In my opinion this will solve my problem.

So this is for every body to take advance of.

Hendrik Harmensz
WHB is offline Find More Posts by WHB
Old May 29, 2008, 04:12 AM
Italy
Joined Jun 2007
48 Posts
I've some problems regarding the hotliner wing servos.

I've already got HS55 but I read they're not suitable for the wings. What can I buy? I found GWS Pico F at Hobbycity: 9.5mm of thickness. Is it ok? Do you know somthing else? TY
Qbert is offline Find More Posts by Qbert
Old May 29, 2008, 05:14 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,247 Posts
If servo is thicker than airfoil, it will stick out a bit on under surface and crate some unnecessarry drag. But one can live with that, other not.
Everything under 11 mm of thickness will be good.
Old May 29, 2008, 05:16 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,247 Posts
Hi!

Ive made a short video for beginners at our local RC forum, and want to share that video with you allso.

It is about how I create "Z" bends on end of controll rods for small RC planes and gliders, on the 0,8 mm diameter steel wire, using hands and needle tip pliers.

VIDEO:
"Z" bends (1 min 44 sec)

Mitja
Old May 29, 2008, 12:24 PM
USA, GA, Carrollton
Joined Jan 2008
444 Posts
YES for the Mk2 Guppy
TFM70 is offline Find More Posts by TFM70
Old May 29, 2008, 12:54 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,247 Posts
Hendrik, is that wire made from many thiny wires?

Mitja
Old May 29, 2008, 01:35 PM
Brescia, Italy
Joined May 2004
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralajt
Hendrik, is that wire made from many thiny wires?

Mitja
Yes, it is. It's a very good cable, but maybe a little heavy for a small and light model as Guppy.
CANTZ506 is offline Find More Posts by CANTZ506
Old May 29, 2008, 02:17 PM
WHB
Joined Mar 2008
8 Posts
Hello Mitja,

Indeed, the wire is made of a bunch of thin twisted wires. Thats why you can bend it in such a radius.

This cable is about the same dimensions of the by Mitja sugested one. Only maybe some more weight due the use of a kwiklink instead of a Z-bend. Outside 2mm, wire 1mm or less. (I don't have the proper equipent to measure.)

When time has come I will experiment with it.

Hendrik Harmensz
WHB is offline Find More Posts by WHB
Last edited by WHB; May 29, 2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old May 30, 2008, 02:00 AM
Joined Apr 2008
85 Posts
anyone know where i can buy carbon fibre rods, what diametre and length should they be.
+++
what angle should the motor and prop be to the wings?
should the elevator be parallel to the wing chord?
6-mins is offline Find More Posts by 6-mins
Last edited by 6-mins; May 30, 2008 at 05:07 AM. Reason: adding something
Old May 30, 2008, 07:04 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,247 Posts
Quote:
anyone know where i can buy carbon fibre rods, what diametre and length should they be.
You need a carbon extruded tube with outer diameter of 6mm and inside diameter of 4 mm (1 mm wall).
Length of that tube is 450 mm for the Guppy. (but they are sold in 1 m length mostly)
This tube is a common model builders choice and it can be found in many modelling stores.
Some arrowshafts are made from that tube allso...so maybe some hunting or sports stores hold them in stock also...

Some links:
http://shop.lindinger.at/product_inf...ducts_id=14048

http://www.bmi-models.com/#en/Home/1/2556

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...low)_6x5x750mm
(this one is thinner, so I am not sure if is strong enough for Guppy)

Please use precision drill/grinder power tool, with rotary cutter disc, for making slots carefully into rear part of carbon tube for exiting of controll bowdens to tail feathers.
Othervise, you can split carbon tube (it is made from unidirectional fibers!) and weaken it a lot.

Quote:
what angle should the motor and prop be to the wings?
There is no side thrust, and about 4-6░downthrust (as shown on the plans).
One should program some down elevator when motor runs, so when power applied, programmable mixer in RC transmitter will add correction on elevator. test flights should show, how much mixing is necessarry.

Quote:
Should the elevator be parallel to the wing chord?
Elevator is not paralell with wing chord.
It is 1 ░ negative to underside of Aquilla airfoil..or 1 ░ negative with upper edge of wing saddle on the fuselage (thats poly wing without ailerons).

For the Hotliner wings is found, that lowering to 0,5░negative, gives better performance.

Mitja
Last edited by ultralajt; May 30, 2008 at 07:31 AM.
Old Jun 08, 2008, 11:40 PM
Tampines, Singapore
Joined May 2006
40 Posts
My first Guppy

It's been a long time since I started reading about the Guppy and finally, I get the chance to build it.
It is now about 80% complete, but I will be laying off building for the next 2 weeks. Hope to cover it when I return.
You can follow my build thread here:
http://www.daddyhobby.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34299

Thanks to Mitja for sharing the comprehensive plans.

MS
msc2000 is offline Find More Posts by msc2000
Old Jun 09, 2008, 02:45 AM
6-mins
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Offensive content (Profanity). It is temporarily hidden while 6-mins edits it.