Mitja

Define FUTURE?

Jimmy
Riverratss is offline Find More Posts by Riverratss
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:17 AM
Ljubljana Brnik, Slovenia
Joined Sep 2004
1,236 Posts
Could be days, weeks, months or years ahead from now.....

Depends on the pressure you guys do to me...
ultralajt is offline Find More Posts by ultralajt
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:29 AM
Circa:1946
Joined Jun 2008
148 Posts
Mitja

Be aware that the pressure
is ON!!!!!!

Jimmy
Riverratss is offline Find More Posts by Riverratss
Old Mar 17, 2013, 04:55 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
655 Posts
Oh, what a beauty!

Hello,

I'm in this "business" since some two years and have built 4 planes already, 3 depron/EPS and one balsa + GFK sheeted (you might want to check my blog). I feel ready to tackle this one now, my first built-up wing!

The plans say aspect ratio 1:11. However, if I measure the plans, I come at 1:5 (150mm chord, 750mm half-span). Even if full span would be taken, it would make 1:10. With "flattened" wing and full span I come at 1:10.5. Did I make a mistake with printing the plans, or is it a mistake in the spec?

Which wing profile is used in the drawings? It's a completely flat bottom, which doesn't seem extremely efficient (flat-bottomed profiles are not very popular). The "hotliner" wing seems to use another profile. Did somebody try to put a different profile on a Guppy? Don't get me wrong, I will build it flat (it sure is easier to do so on a first built-up wing), I was just wondering.

I'm afraid it will take me quite some time to finish it, for I'm hard pressed to find the time and my workshop is on a stoep (meaning it's way too cold to work ), but the plans are printed, and the balsa has arrived - I think I can at least start to cut the ribs, even if I catch a cold in the process.

UPDATE: I'm so excited that I forgot to say THANK YOU Ultralajt for providing such a great plane and such detailed plans and building instructions! If I get lucky with the Guppy, the next for sure will be Guppy2 (or 3? )
sir_clive is offline Find More Posts by sir_clive
Last edited by sir_clive; Mar 17, 2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old Apr 01, 2013, 05:28 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
655 Posts
Ok, main wing ribs are cut out, one wing half (first 45cm) is nearly done, only the upper sheeting is missing. Man, what a joy, perfect plans, perfect assembly manual, great building tips - I'm thrilled!!!

I'm mainly using Ponal Express, with 20min Beli-Zell to fill in my inadequate cuttings. :-)

Still undecided whether to go with or without a motor. Only have outrunners laying around with back mounting, the 2 front-mountables I have are too big for this plane. Which motors are you using people?

Sory for bad photo quality, shot with a tab.
Old Apr 07, 2013, 05:24 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
655 Posts
Main wing panels are done now and looking great.

This seems not to be a frequented thread any more, but maybe somebody still reads. The wing joints are to be re enforced with GFK, but my HK foil seems not to stick well to GFK. From what I found on the net, this is not only the problem with HK foil, but rather with all brands. Is there a trick, how do you make the foil stick to the wing joining points?
Old Apr 07, 2013, 10:19 PM
Australia, NSW, Wauchope
Joined Jan 2012
289 Posts
I'm halfway through building mine.
I'm in 2 minds about doing a foamcore wing before the build up to get some air time with it. I saw a great youtube video of a guy building a foam core wing which has inspired me to give it a go.
TLHover is offline Find More Posts by TLHover
Old Apr 07, 2013, 11:58 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
655 Posts
My previous plane was a eps core plus balsa sheeting and gfk on top. Built up wing seems a much greater satisfaction to me, and spares the mess with epoxy.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 03:10 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
655 Posts
BeliZell vs. Epoxy for wing joining

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post24724876

Hi, this is actually a general question, but my motivation came from this thread, so I thought I'd post a link here too and hope somebody can help me. :-)
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:48 AM
If it flies - I want one!
Werribee, Victoria, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,023 Posts
Balsaloc

Sir Clive,
There are several products that you can paint over a difficult surface so the covering will stick more easily. One is Balsaloc by Solarfilm, and Deluxe Products also has one, I think.
Water based, looks and smells like PVA glue, dries clear and becomes a heat-sensitive adhesive.
Cheers,
PeteM
Petem is offline Find More Posts by Petem
Old Apr 15, 2013, 07:17 AM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
655 Posts
Thank you for the tip!
Old Apr 20, 2013, 03:24 PM
More coffee, please!
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined Jul 2011
655 Posts
Niceeee... the wing is done, I'm pretty sattisfied with the result! My first built up wing, my first film covering. It's not that hard after all, thanks to the great plans and great build manual provided by Mitja!

Even all angles seem to be just perfect, and the twist is identical on both sides, yippeeee!

Now for the fuse.

Can anybody please provide a pic of the electronics? I'll use a 18A ESC, hxt900 servos, a 2 or 3s lipo and a cf2822 brushless motor. I'm afraid I dont't quite know where to put the RX (FrSky 2.4GHz, 7ch, dual antenna; pehaps the smaller one would also do, but I'm afraid of the range of the 4ch version). Maybe I'll build the fuse from depron first and check exactly how much space there is.

Edit: link to the pics:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1161577...CM6ZvYCXxZi2DQ

Last edited by sir_clive; Apr 20, 2013 at 03:43 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 06:01 AM
carlos
Joined Feb 2005
156 Posts
hello
my guppy 2m

[IMG=http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/6021/guppyfotos212.jpg][/IMG]

can see all the construction in
www.josecarlosfernandes.blogspot.com
josecarlos is offline Find More Posts by josecarlos