HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2010, 04:36 AM
Ljubljana Brnik, Slovenia
Joined Sep 2004
1,246 Posts
Rapi, welcome and best luck with your Guppy.

Glassing with fabric and epoxy resin is not a bad idea. It will certainly give stregth and durability to the fuselage outer surface.

Mitja
ultralajt is online now Find More Posts by ultralajt
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2010, 09:49 AM
Joined Jul 2010
10 Posts
Hi Mitja!

Thank you for the kind words I expect better torsional stiffness from that glass covered fuse... we will see that soon.

Now I upload a couple of photos The usual "wing on building board" which is a must have Then today's progress:

I really managed to fit the BL outrunner into the nose. After really, really much time of sanding balsa, the motor slides into place, and able to rotate.
I had to "cheat" a little, the original plan suggests 32 mm dia. firewall, this one is 35 mm. First I wanted to make it 40 but it was way too big.

This aluminum is wonderful!! I found a piece of scrap after my old bipe project, which used the same motor, and this sheet metal for firewall. I sanded it with a belt sender for about 2 minutes, then with hand for another 5 minutes, and I couldn't make it thinner.

I forgot to mention that I really like the fuselage design! My rc equipment fits in it like a glove ( I hope thats the proper words for it )

Now I'm figuring out how to align the battery, esc, tx .

Regards,
Rapi
Rapi is offline Find More Posts by Rapi
Old Sep 03, 2010, 10:54 AM
Circa:1946
Joined Jun 2008
151 Posts
Guppy MKll Fuse

Rapi!

Keep the pics comming. Interested in how you are going to treat the wires?
You are right that fuse is fun to build! I am installing an inrunner in 2nd fuse for the aileron wing. Build is about 80% finished. Polywing fuse has AXI 22/12/26 Gold, 9/8 folder. Good power!!! 36MM spinner on both!!

Have a Good day!!
Jimmy
Riverratss is offline Find More Posts by Riverratss
Old Sep 03, 2010, 11:44 AM
Joined Oct 2008
113 Posts
Some pics of my Guppy in flight

A kind local photographer took some nice pics of my Guppy during its flight

toyheli is offline Find More Posts by toyheli
Old Sep 03, 2010, 11:54 AM
Joined Oct 2008
113 Posts
Motor mounting without rubbing on outer casing

I made the motor mount at the rear instead of in front so that I reversed mount the motor with the wires exiting at the rear then there will be no rubbing of wires onto the outside motor casing! Now fly with a peace of mind

toyheli is offline Find More Posts by toyheli
Old Sep 03, 2010, 02:17 PM
Joined Jun 2008
151 Posts
Neat Guppy!!

Toyheli!

Very nice Guppy & Great Pic's!! I got my AXI outrunner in & wires hidden perfect. But it was a job, with no chance of a rub of the wires or motor. The wire channel is covered with 1MM balsa.

Thats why I am trying an inrunner in my Aileron Wing fuse!

Regards!
Jimmy
Old Sep 03, 2010, 02:50 PM
Joined Jul 2010
10 Posts
Hi Jimmy !

I will try my best, but school is coming up on me at Monday.
Anyway, here's how I tried to make clearance for the wires.

At first, my idea was the same as toyheli's, but the Axi motors don't come with radial mount sets, (unlike most of turnigy brushless motors) and this radial mount set (3 screws, the shaft-ended thing, the mounting cross and a nut with washer ) costs quite a lot here... Funny but for the price, I could buy a new turnigy motor in the same class with all accessories imaginable. Now I just did not have the money.

Anyway, it seems I can mount it this way with a little extra effort and some extra strong epoxy. The planned glass cover will be a bit thicker ( or 2 layers ) around the cabane, I hope it will make it sturdy. It is really necessary because we have rough runway.

I just see I wrote another novel again, so here are the pics, and I will be back at Monday
Old Sep 03, 2010, 04:03 PM
Joined Jun 2008
151 Posts
Motor Wires

Rapi!

Yeah that will work. My MKll fuses are really more narrow at the cowl.
It was a stretch to get the the 28MM AXI in with the wires comming back over the motor, & not having any chance of rubbing anywhere. I strengthened the inside of fuse with saturated epoxy before mounting the AXI. The 36MM spinner matches the cowl perfect.

Good luck in school!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jimmy
Old Sep 06, 2010, 02:04 PM
Joined Jul 2010
10 Posts
Hi Jimmy!

Thank you for wishing me luck : )
It was a fine and easy day now, only two hours. : )

The epoxy idea inside the fuselage sounds pretty good. I'm going to try the same on mine. I have a 30 mm spinner, as I see, it will be okay with the 35 mm front wall.

Today I soldered all the plugs onto the esc and battery, I use 3,5 mm golden plugs. Also sanded the rudder a bit, but then I had to hurry out to the field.
Wonderful weather, I flew my little trainer half an hour, with one charge, I just imagine what will the Guppy do, as it is a sailplane ...

Now I go and finish the rudder, and other tailplane parts. Now I'm looking for a proper carbon tube, that's the last thing I need for now.

Rapi
Old Sep 07, 2010, 02:11 PM
Joined Jul 2010
10 Posts
I'm making some progress. Not so fast now, plenty of little pieces to do.
In a couple of days I will bring the tailplane elements to another workshop, and make the glass fabric cover, only then I can continue the fuselage assembly.

Now, I attached the firewall with epoxy, within 24 hours it will be rock solid

Tomorrow I plan to finish all little works of the wing, and tail. Coming with pictures soon.

have a nice day
Rapi
Old Sep 07, 2010, 02:22 PM
Joined Jun 2008
151 Posts
Progress!

Rapi!

Sounding good!

Regards
Jimmy
Old Sep 08, 2010, 02:46 PM
Joined Jul 2010
10 Posts
Now I could not stand it anymore. I started to sand the foreward fuselage to shape.
I just run through it, so its just the beginning, but I wanted to see how it will look like with the prop and spinner. Pretty good, I think. I love this plane more and more.
On this weekend, I will have the tail covered, so next week: final assembly.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 02:55 PM
Joined Jun 2008
151 Posts
Fuse!

Rapi!

Yeah! I loved building that fuse so much that I built two! One for each wing style! I am still thinking about building another with a little longer tail boom.

Looking Good!!!!!!
Jimmy
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:26 AM
Joined Jul 2010
10 Posts
Hi!

Sorry for not saying a word for so long. Things went almost as I expected ...
The main thing is, that I received a bad illness, and this completely stopped me doing anything. Nothing serious, in a few days I will be okay.

I promised to myself, that I will assemble the whole thing on this week, after covering the tail parts with glass hardened epoxy.

This job was done about a week ago, and looks perfect. while doing it, me and my friend measured weight, so I will be able to share some useful data with you!
We also made a new elevator, which weighed only 4 g without lightening holes!
Assembly have to wait a few days but nothing dangerous

Coming with pictures and news as soon as I brought those tailparts back from the workshop,

greetings
Rapi
Old Sep 28, 2010, 04:25 AM
Rimini - Italy
Joined Jun 2006
48 Posts
I try an electric motor from hobbycity for the guppy. Small and powerful and also a board propeller.
Thanks
Limbox is offline Find More Posts by Limbox