HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2009, 09:41 AM
Joined Nov 2007
29 Posts
how do you guys make the holes on the guppy elevators?
diozxlive is offline Find More Posts by diozxlive
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2009, 10:05 AM
Gadsden RC Flyers
Joined Aug 2004
591 Posts
Cutting Holes

diozxlive,

This is how I cut lightening holes in all of my planes. I feel sure there are faster ways, but this way has always been my preference.

Jack Stephens
Jack Stephens is offline Find More Posts by Jack Stephens
Old Aug 23, 2009, 01:53 PM
Joined Nov 2007
29 Posts
Thank you Sir, but the elevators are 4mm.... it will take a lot of elbow grease tracing the circles... 14 holes...
Old Aug 23, 2009, 03:14 PM
Gadsden RC Flyers
Joined Aug 2004
591 Posts
diozxlive,

You call it elbow grease, I call it my hobby. Here are the tail feathers that I lightened for my Apogee Sport. 28 holes altogether.

Jack Stephens
Old Aug 24, 2009, 01:12 PM
Joined Nov 2007
29 Posts
...just followed your lead... for the love of the hobby. just bought a similar engineering circular template (rotring brand) so how do you cut the circle just trace around the template slowly? i find the i need to do almost 25 laps to cut a 3cm hole on a 3mm. balsa? am i doing it correctly?
Old Aug 24, 2009, 01:30 PM
Gadsden RC Flyers
Joined Aug 2004
591 Posts
diozxlive,

I use the template to draw the circle with a pencil. I then use the No. 11 blade to cut my way around the drawn circle freehand. I use an up and down sawing motion, working my way around the circle slowly. For thick material such as you are working with, it usually takes several passes around the circle to finish the job. Don't try to cut through in one pass.

To help ensure a cleaner cut on the back side, I watch for the first signs of the blade breaking through from the front, and finish the final few cuts from the back side. This will really help prevent tearing of the balsa.

Finish the hole with pieces of rolled sandpaper. I usually start with about 220 grit and finish with 400 grit.

Good luck,

Jack Stephens
Old Aug 26, 2009, 09:09 AM
Ljubljana Brnik, Slovenia
Joined Sep 2004
1,233 Posts
Thanks Jack for helping to explain the hole making in balsa surfaces.

I use quite similar approach.

Often I use a metal tube instead of drill bit and "drill" holes trough a balsa. Beginers should try first on the scrap piece of balsa to get use to this method.

Then I widen hole diameter using sandpaper rolled in a "tube", or sandpaper wrapped around a dowel of apropriate diameter. Variying the number of sandpaper layers the size of hole is regulated...

It works for me....

Large diameter holes I usually cut with x-acto knife (a little smaller hole than needed) and then sand smooth and rounds it again with sandpaper wrapped around a round object of apropriate diameter.

Mitja
ultralajt is offline Find More Posts by ultralajt
Last edited by ultralajt; Aug 26, 2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:04 PM
Joined Oct 2008
113 Posts
Guppy wing assembly

I read the sailplane assembly manual, under the 'Wing Assembly' we were asked to cut Balsa cap strips 5x2mm, 455mm length. But the plan shows Balsa cap strip 5x2mm, 450mm length only. What is the additional 5mm for?

Also before joining the two halves of the wings, do we need to sand the wing ribs R1 to obtain a perfect V join? Can we join the wings, without sanding, at the right amount of dihedral and fill the space with 5 min epoxy?

One more question about the twist in the outer wing, what is meant by raise the TE at wing tip for about 3 to 5 mm when gluing the upper torsion box sheeting?

Does the assembly instruction meant that we keep Wing rib R5 level on the table and raise the TE wing tip by 5mm and glue the upper box torsion balsa sheet?
toyheli is offline Find More Posts by toyheli
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:25 AM
Joined Oct 2009
6 Posts
How to join both the wings togther and fix the whole to the fuselage ?

Hello !!
I am plannin to make a guppy .
Is it possible to make a guppy in a month ?
How do i join the left and the right wing together and then fix it to the fuselage ?
Thank You
varungarg is offline Find More Posts by varungarg
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:40 AM
Joined Feb 2007
22 Posts
varungarg It is posible to make Guppy even in a week, or you can make it in a yare. It only depends on how many houres you will work each day.

toyheli If you cut balsa cap strip 5 mm longer you wil have posibility yo atache it to the table behind the wing and than you can sand it nicely to the rib.
With the V join you need to sand it as good as it posible. The adhesive join is stronger when betwen parts is as less glue as it is posible.
With the wing twist its like you describe. You can also use triangle stock balsa and diagonally put it under rear edge of Guppy outer wing panel. Twist is linear, from 0 at Outer wing panel root, to about 5-7mm (~0,24") at tip.
kr3cik is offline Find More Posts by kr3cik
Old Oct 29, 2009, 02:46 AM
Joined Oct 2009
6 Posts
Photo Instructions

Thank You !!

I would be highly obliged if someone can please help me with some photo instructions of how to join the left n the right wing n not the wing twist .
Old Nov 02, 2009, 04:13 AM
Joined Oct 2009
6 Posts
Speed of the Motor

Does Speed 400 means the RPM of the motor is 400 ?
what should be the RPM of the motor used in the guppy ?
Should it be brushless ?

Thanks
Old Nov 02, 2009, 05:34 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by varungarg View Post
Thank You !!

I would be highly obliged if someone can please help me with some photo instructions of how to join the left n the right wing n not the wing twist .

Look at those photos below.
It is not Guppy, but it is shown step by step, how to do it. (well...how I do it )
Last edited by ultralajt; Nov 02, 2009 at 06:01 AM.
Old Nov 02, 2009, 05:39 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by varungarg View Post
Does Speed 400 means the RPM of the motor is 400 ?
what should be the RPM of the motor used in the guppy ?
Should it be brushless ?

Thanks
Speed 400 is very old and obsolete motor, when nowdays highly efficient brushles motors, controllers and LiPo cells are available and are relatively cheap.

Buy an outrunner with outer diameter no larger than 27-28mm, weight of about 50-70g, folding prop with spinner , speed regulator that can handle about 18-25A with BEC that can handle 2-4 servos, and a Li-poly battery 3 cells of about 1000-1500 mAh

Mitja
Old Nov 07, 2009, 02:00 AM
Joined Oct 2009
6 Posts
Leading and Trailing edges ?

Thank You Mitja

I have already started making the legendary Hotliner guppy .
I am presently doing the wings .
I am cutting all the parts and not using the precut CNC parts.
In the Guppy Template there is no template mentioned about the LEADING and TRAILING spans of the wings .
Could You please attach the template if you have or i have to design it on my own (LEADING and TRAILING Edges) ?

Thank You
Varun