HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 19, 2009, 01:10 AM
Ljubljana Brnik, Slovenia
Joined Sep 2004
1,247 Posts
A father and son build Guppies in original size and also in 2 m size. They just scale plans and change some details to make that large Guppy.

As I heard, they enjoy both versions of Guppy. The 2 m Guppy is equipped also with flaps for better glide path controll.

Regards!

Mitja
ultralajt is offline Find More Posts by ultralajt
to remove ads between posts
Old May 20, 2009, 05:10 PM
Joined Nov 2006
66 Posts
My Start

Hello Guppy Enthusiast!
I of course love the beautiful plane as all of you do.
I of course thank Mitja for EVERYTHING!!!!!
I haven't really started other than printing the plans and manual and won't start until the summer but I'm planning everything first. I have had enough experience with flying and building airplanes that I am confident that i can get this thing in the air (with the help of you guys of course )
I don't have much experience picking out rc components so I need your help.
Judging by most of the succesful brushless setups, I have started looking for the right motor. From one webite I have found Some good ones although I plan on ordering mostly from hobbycity.com
1. https://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?i...7&pid=B1898551 <--- maybe a tiny bit small
2. https://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?i...7&pid=B1688512 <--- tiny bit big?
3. https://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?i...7&pid=B3945418 <--- ??????
I know giving you just the motor dosnt help but I'm trying to narrow it down.
THANKS ALL FOR THE HELP!
Jon
jonnyboy323 is offline Find More Posts by jonnyboy323
Old May 28, 2009, 05:01 AM
South Africa
Joined Oct 2007
19 Posts
Motor size

Hello Jon

Motor choice no. 2 with a 3 cell LiPo looks about right.
You can run it with an 8x5 prop which will match the motors characteristics, or you can use a 9x6 if you limit full throttle runs to about 15 sec.
Keep the tail area nice and light tho because the motor is relatively light compared to a speed 400.
AlfaGlider is offline Find More Posts by AlfaGlider
Old May 28, 2009, 05:36 AM
Joined Nov 2006
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaGlider
Hello Jon

Motor choice no. 2 with a 3 cell LiPo looks about right.
You can run it with an 8x5 prop which will match the motors characteristics, or you can use a 9x6 if you limit full throttle runs to about 15 sec.
Keep the tail area nice and light tho because the motor is relatively light compared to a speed 400.
Thanks for the help!! No i just need to start sometime soon....
Ill ask questions if I have any.
Thanks
Jon
jonnyboy323 is offline Find More Posts by jonnyboy323
Old Jun 02, 2009, 01:33 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,247 Posts
As some of my friends want to build Guppy sailplane, but dont want to start from a scratch, I decided to prepare them parts from balsa and plywood on my homemade CNC router.

I think, that in couple of evenings, I will manage to cut all parts for 5 models.

As my CNC machine is DIY, fine tolerances can not be achieved, but one ot two tenths of milimeter is not a problem when building from wood.
Last edited by ultralajt; Jun 04, 2009 at 01:00 AM.
Old Jun 04, 2009, 01:03 PM
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Sep 2003
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralajt
As some of my friends want to build Guppy sailplane, but dont want to start from a scratch, I decided to prepare them parts from balsa and plywood on my homemade CNC router.

I think, that in couple of evenings, I will manage to cut all parts for 5 models.

As my CNC machine is DIY, fine tolerances can not be achieved, but one ot two tenths of milimeter is not a problem when building from wood.
Hey Mitja,
I'm one of your friends, right? Any chance one of those "kits" will make it my way?

Shawn
sodekirk is offline Find More Posts by sodekirk
Old Jun 04, 2009, 01:10 PM
Gadsden RC Flyers
Joined Aug 2004
591 Posts
Deleted.

With apologies, I was confused about which Guppy thread this was.

Jack Stephens
Jack Stephens is offline Find More Posts by Jack Stephens
Last edited by Jack Stephens; Jun 05, 2009 at 01:31 AM.
Old Jun 05, 2009, 07:54 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodekirk
Hey Mitja,
I'm one of your friends, right? Any chance one of those "kits" will make it my way?

Shawn

I make a small batch just for those friends, that live near me, and we often fly together. They seen my Guppy and they want to build it.

Mitja
Old Jun 05, 2009, 07:56 AM
Clearlake, CA. USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,021 Posts
Guppy

Yes and I wanna build it too please.... I'mma your friend really...

Best Regards

Wylie Shaw
Wylie Shaw is offline Find More Posts by Wylie Shaw
Old Jul 15, 2009, 04:26 PM
U.K
Joined Aug 2003
128 Posts
First Flight

Hi to All

Well after checking all was well decided to let her go, wind strength perhaps to much,but a couple of circuits and she flew really well.
Hotliner wing.
weight 550gms

On landing, I felt that the left wing tip stalled.
Any suggestions to why this happens and what can I do to correct it?

I am really pleased that I have built a plane from scratch, only taken 40 odd years to acheive this.

A very happy flier.

Thanks to ultralajt for your help.

Regards

olly49
olly49 is offline Find More Posts by olly49
Old Jul 28, 2009, 01:56 PM
kll
Registered 4x4 User
Ankara,Turkey
Joined Oct 2006
94 Posts
Mitja, i restarted this hobby some time ago with your help and with your beautiful design. now i built it once more. It looks much better than my previous build.

i finished building today, covered with transparent yellow. it is pure glider version but little changes on nose. nose is longer and fuselage has been built like a box and carved and sanded to have a nice and sleek curves. then fiberglass cloth applied.

on wing i used carbon spars which i bought from hobbycity. rest is same as your plans. again on leading edge there is cloth application and whole plane seems rocksolid now. without electronics and without balancing it is 312 gr.

i attached same photos. again thank you for your efforts on making such nice little sailplane. (i built another guppy and waiting to be electrified on bench now)
kll is offline Find More Posts by kll
Old Jul 30, 2009, 09:00 AM
Joined Jul 2009
11 Posts
Hey there!
I'm new in the forum, and I have to apologize for my bad english, because I am german.
I'm also new in the matter of "RC Planes" (I just had a Lama V4 once).

Because in germany are summer holidays, I'd like to have a litte project in this time, and have chosen the guppy

I have read the thread a bit, but for me it's very diffucult to understand sometimes, and so I have a few questions, hope you can help me

1) I don't know which plans I have to chose: There is one "big" plan with a lot of things , a bit confusing... I saw this and this one.

2) With the first plan I don't know what to do, and i also can't print it in the right size...

3) By the second plan I don't know ....Are there missing any parts? I don't find all of them? Is it the right size if I print it? Do I have to print it once, or any parts twice?

4) Would be great if you cold tell me how many plates of which balsa with which size I need and what other things I need to built the plane ( I just want to build it without rc, and if it is good, I'll buy the electric stuff...

Yeah, thx for the help^^
Quanty is offline Find More Posts by Quanty
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:00 AM
Circa:1946
Joined Jun 2008
151 Posts
Guppy MKll

Mr. Quanty!!

These sites should answer your questions!!!

http://ultralajt.webs.com/index.htm

http://rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996029

Have a good day!!!
Jimmy
Riverratss is offline Find More Posts by Riverratss
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:14 AM
Joined Jul 2009
11 Posts
Thx for the quick answer
Lol, Mr. Quanty, sounds really...lol :-D

Ehm,
I visited this site, but I don't find the plans and the sizes?

edit:
It would help if i could somehow print it in the right size :-)
Quanty is offline Find More Posts by Quanty
Last edited by Quanty; Jul 30, 2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:43 AM
Circa:1946
Joined Jun 2008
151 Posts
Guppy Mkll

[QUOTE=Riverratss]Mr. Quanty!!

These sites should answer your questions!!!

http://ultralajt.webs.com/index.htm

http://rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996029

Have a good day!!!
Jimmy[/QUOTE

Quanty!

The top url is the Guppy designers website, & he can answer any question you have on printing! He may be on Holiday @ this time! (I dont Know for sure)

The second url is the new Guppy MKll thread. And Mitja has posted a complete material list for Guppy MKll in metric! Even electrics!!!!

Maybe someone else will jump on here & help you with the printing question?? Myself I am building the Laser kit from Polecataero.com !

Later!!
Jimmy
Riverratss is offline Find More Posts by Riverratss