SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 21, 2008, 03:24 AM
Ljubljana Brnik, Slovenia
Joined Sep 2004
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffroy
Dear Mitja,

First, thanks for sharing the plan of this beautiful glider. It's really a good job! If you have some plans of other gliders or planes, do not hesitate to share them!

I have started the construction of a Guppy last week. Now, the glider is ready to cover. I will probably make the first flight this week-end. Here are some pictures.

I will also start the construction of a hotliner wing and also a fuse without motor.

The construction of the glider is very easy with your instructions manual and the huge quantity of informations in this thread. Thanks to all contributors.

For the motorization, I'm using an e-flite Park 400 with a Lipo 3S 1450 mAh.

Geoffroy.
Nice to see another almost finished model!
Keep inform us with progress.
Best wishes for maiden flight.

Mitja
ultralajt is offline Find More Posts by ultralajt
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 24, 2008, 02:55 PM
Slovenská republika, Banskobystrický kraj, Banská Bystrica
Joined Jun 2007
9 Posts
FC 28-05 Brushless Outrunner 2840Kv

Hi Mitja,
I finished GUPPY (my first home made plane) and I'll plan use FC2805 Outrunner with 6x3 prop.
What do you think about this?

Thank

lubak (from Slovakia)
lubak is offline Find More Posts by lubak
Last edited by lubak; May 24, 2008 at 03:23 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:19 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubak
Hi Mitja,
I finished GUPPY (my first home made plane) and I'll plan use FC2805 Outrunner with 6x3 prop.
What do you think about this?
Thank
lubak (from Slovakia)
Hi Lubak!

I think it will be hard to set proper C.G. as this little screamer is so light (24g). The thrust of this motor should be good also with 6x3 propeller, and Guppy will climb up satisfactory, but not extremly steep. Use 3 LiPo cells (11,1V) that are heavy enough to balance CG and small enough to fit in the cockpit area. I think somwhere in the range between 800 and 1600 mAh.

If I use hobbycity motor I will rather choose:
https://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/...idProduct=2111
or
https://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/...idProduct=5499

But that is just my personal opinnion.

Best wishes for the maiden flight!

Any photos to share with us?

Mitja
Last edited by ultralajt; Apr 25, 2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 02:53 PM
Joined Apr 2008
17 Posts
finished Guppy before maiden flight

Hi Mitja,

Here are some pictures of my finished Guppy. The weather should be very good this week end. I will probably make some comments after the maiden flight in a few days!

more details on my website
geoffroy is offline Find More Posts by geoffroy
Last edited by geoffroy; Jun 26, 2008 at 04:38 AM.
Old Apr 27, 2008, 10:44 AM
USA, GA, Carrollton
Joined Jan 2008
444 Posts
Any thoughts on this motor for my soon to be completed Guppy.(HEAVY GUPPY I'M AFRAID)
http://cgi.ebay.com/2712-12-Outrunne...742.m153.l1262
TFM70 is online now Find More Posts by TFM70
Old Apr 27, 2008, 04:25 PM
Joined Apr 2008
17 Posts
My Guppy has made his maiden flight this week end. I'm not very experienced. However, with the help of a member of my club, it takes only 10 minutes to trim the glider and to be able to control it correctly.

The total weight of the plane is 520g. It's very light. However, the glider seems very robust. With an E-flite Park 400 brushless motor and a 3 elements LiPo of 1450 mAh, the glider is very well motorized.

I forgot to program correctly the motor controller. Then, no motor break. Even with the propeller spinning during all the flight, the behavior of the glider was very good. With the help of some thermals, I enjoy during almost all the afternoon with only two batteries.

The downthrust angle of the motor is around 6 degrees. However, when the motor is started at full powder, the glider goes up. Without corrections, the glider makes some loops. It's not really a big problem. However, peoples who plan to mount brushless motor should not hesitate to increase the downthrust angle.

To conclude, it's realy a delight to fly a guppy. Once again, Mitja, many thanks for the sharing of your plans.

Next step: finish the hotliner wing to make some acrobatics.

more details on my website
Last edited by geoffroy; Jun 26, 2008 at 04:39 AM.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:31 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFM70
Any thoughts on this motor for my soon to be completed Guppy.(HEAVY GUPPY I'M AFRAID)
http://cgi.ebay.com/2712-12-Outrunne...742.m153.l1262
I install this motor on small depron flying wing, using 12A esc and a 2S1p Li-po battery.

I think that this motor could be installed in Guppy, but the climbing performance will be sedate to moderate. Allso due motor low weight, you will encounter problems when setting the proper CG. It will be taill heavy! I recomment motor in weight range 50-80 g.
Dont expect steep climbouts, as you said that Guppy is heavy. If you use 3S1P batery, make sure to allow cooling of the motor. Drill two or three holes in the spinner, so air can enter front cooling holes in the rotor.

Mitja
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:43 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,246 Posts
Quote:
My Guppy has made his maiden flight this week end. I'm not very experienced. However, with the help of a member of my club, it takes only 10 minutes to trim the glider and to be able to control it correctly.

The total weight of the plane is 520g. It's very light. However, the glider seems very robust. With an E-flite Park 400 brushless motor and a 3 elements LiPo of 1450 mAh, the glider is very well motorized.

I forgot to program correctly the motor controller. Then, no motor break. Even with the propeller spinning during all the flight, the behavior of the glider was very good. With the help of some thermals, I enjoy during almost all the afternoon with only two batteries.

The downthrust angle of the motor is around 6 degrees. However, when the motor is started at full powder, the glider goes up. Without corrections, the glider makes some loops. It's not really a big problem. However, peoples who plan to mount brushless motor should not hesitate to increase the downthrust angle.

To conclude, it's realy a delight to fly a guppy. Once again, Mitja, many thanks for the sharing of your plans.

Next step: finish the hotliner wing to make some acrobatics.
Words can not describe, how happy I am, when reading reports about new model successful maiden flight! Your Guppy looks cute!

Thank you for the report and for the suggestion on downthrust at stronger motors.

If you will build Hot wings, you will enjoy even more.

But a word of precaution for Guppy with Hot wings here!
Some of modellers with installed strong motors, reports some flutter on the tail feathers when flying fast dive. It looks that balsa skin/carbon boom sandwich of rear fuselage part is not enough stiff in torsion for really fast dives under power. So, be careful and use full power only on climbouts.

Regards!

Mitja
Old Apr 28, 2008, 03:54 PM
Joined Apr 2008
17 Posts
Mitja,

Can you send me the tiled plan of the hotliner wing. Because I can't download it from the previous thread.

My address is geoffroy*@*lumay.be without the *
Old Apr 28, 2008, 04:20 PM
Joined May 2005
5 Posts
Guppy Setup

First things first, thanks for the plans Mitja, this is a great model.

I'm at the final stages of getting my Guppy airborne, electronics are now going in.

Is this setup ok.

Motor: Dualsky XM2826CA-15 Dualsky 2826 (1200Kv, 44g, Max 11A, Max Burst 15A, 150W)

ESC/BEC: XC1210BA Dualsky ESC
(12A, 18A Surge)

Battery: Lipo 3s 1000mAh 11.1v 25C (Dualsky)

Servos: 2x Hitec HS45HB Hitec Servo

Also, what propeller size should I use on this motor if the setup is ok?

Will submit pictures soon.
Thanks
H.
Howser is offline Find More Posts by Howser
Last edited by Howser; Apr 28, 2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 05:25 PM
Joined Jun 2007
9 Posts
Finished GUPPY and maiden flight

My setup:
motor: Permax 400/6v
prop: Graupner 6/3
battery: LiPol 1500mAh
servos: HXT 900
AUW: 505g
Old Apr 29, 2008, 07:04 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,246 Posts
Lubak, thank you for your Guppy technical data.
Nice work of yours! Great flying site! Plenty of room for nice landings.
Wish you many happy flights.

Mitja
Old Apr 29, 2008, 07:14 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Mitja,
Can you send me the tiled plan of the hotliner wing. Because I can't download it from the previous thread.
My address is geoffroy*@*lumay.be without the *
I did. Check your mail. Hope you will enjoy building Hot wing.

Mitja
Old Apr 29, 2008, 07:23 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howser
First things first, thanks for the plans Mitja, this is a great model.

I'm at the final stages of getting my Guppy airborne, electronics are now going in.

Is this setup ok.

Motor: Dualsky XM2826CA-15 Dualsky 2826 (1200Kv, 44g, Max 11A, Max Burst 15A, 150W)

ESC/BEC: XC1210BA Dualsky ESC
(12A, 18A Surge)

Battery: Lipo 3s 1000mAh 11.1v 25C (Dualsky)

Servos: 2x Hitec HS45HB Hitec Servo

Also, what propeller size should I use on this motor if the setup is ok?

Will submit pictures soon.
Thanks
H.
Setup will be OK. I suggest to use 6x3 prop for first flights and if motor or esc doesnt go too hot, then maybe use a little larger prop (~7x4).

But as always told, Guppy was unfortunetely designed years ago around cheap can motor Speed 400 (mabuchi 380) that weight 75g and 7-8 nimh cells that weights up to 140 g, so using modern componets (brushles motors and Li-Po cells) can cause some troubles finding proper Center of Gravity (CG) location on main wing spar. If using light brushles motor and ESC, you should buy battery small enough to fit into cockpit, but heavy enough to balance proper CG.
It is better to use battery to balance model that adding lead.

Mitja
Old Apr 29, 2008, 09:28 AM
Joined Jun 2007
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralajt
Lubak, thank you for your Guppy technical data.
Nice work of yours! Great flying site! Plenty of room for nice landings.
Wish you many happy flights.
Mitja
Thank, Mitja

And video from maiden flight:

Guppy - maiden flight (3 min 24 sec)