HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2008, 09:59 AM
Joined Dec 2007
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultralajt
So, no need to double check the plans...?
I will check it "live" soon, as I will start to build it in this week (I hope so...)
If anything problem takes place, I will write it to You!
buzziehv is offline Find More Posts by buzziehv
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2008, 06:50 AM
Joined Dec 2007
55 Posts
yesterday I have cut all the 6mm balsa parts and most of 2mm balsa parts and the 1mm plywood parts and made a 3mm thick plywood from 3pcs of 1mm plywood with epoxy.

For the 6mm balsa and for the plywood I have used jigsaw machine.

I do not really know, whether I was correct to cut the 6mm balsa ribs with jigsaw machine (I mean this machine) . Especially for R1 ribs. I will examine them before assembling the wing and it is possible that I will cut it with knife again.

I have glued the printed templates with 3M Spray77 spray-glue.

And I have also made the lamination of the fuselage buttom. I had to wet the balsa sheets with a brush before gluing them together, because without wetting it was impossible to bend them to the curve.
Last edited by buzziehv; Aug 15, 2008 at 06:55 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 09:00 AM
Now Donetsk Ukraine
Joined Sep 2007
29 Posts
I like to present Guppy that is litle bit diffrent from all previouse presented,

My Guppy is Depron construction, of coures with some wooden elements but 75% of costruction is a Depron.

Wing also will be Depron with additional balsa and carbon edges, I will present it litlle bit latter becouse of moving between countries, construction progress was paused.
tomu is offline Find More Posts by tomu
Old Aug 16, 2008, 02:56 PM
Joined Dec 2007
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzziehv
I will check it "live" soon, as I will start to build it in this week (I hope so...)
If anything problem takes place, I will write it to You!
Mitja,

today I have cut all the ribs based on your Guppy_templates.pdf.

Unfortunately the template is incomplete: 1 sheet of 3mm balsa is missing with the following:
- 2pcs of R3 ribs
- all the ribs from R5 to R9

So I made a 3mm with gluing a 2mm and a 1mm balsa sheet together with carpenter glue. Tomorrow I will cut the rest of the ribs.

By the way! How can you cut the wing mounts from 3mm plywood? As in the template the connecting parts are drawn together, but the jigsaw can not turn 90 degrees sharp, so the two parts are not fit tightly, but epoxy will glue them together perfect.

And how can you drill out the circles in the elevator? I do not dare to drill it with machine, but I am afraid that I can not cut them out smooth with knife.

Thanks for your help and patience!

Regards,
Tom
Old Aug 18, 2008, 09:52 PM
Sheboygan, Wisconsin USA
Joined Mar 2008
92 Posts
Tom:

The trick on the wing mounts and the holes in the holes in the elevator are as follows:
<p>
A very fine blade in a table jig saw does the trick, yes they are a little rounded but very close...If you want you can cut each part individually and then you can make perfect square cuts...For the elevator paste the template on with rubber cement all are saying spray glue but that stuff is hard to get off, rubber cement just rubs off and no problem..Drill a small hole with your drill small enough to get the blade from your table jig through. Cut about an 1/8 of an inch from the round hole edge...Same with each hole on the elevator, now take a piece of sand paper and roll it up and begin sanding the paper will expand as you take down the balsa...works great. So glad I can now contribute to the site I had a lot of help from others as well, this is a great group and many new friends throughout the world were made........Lee
Lee3429 is offline Find More Posts by Lee3429
Old Aug 19, 2008, 12:13 AM
sKrude up, Rejected!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2008
3,186 Posts
Hi Mitja,
I'm new to this thread, but I did down load your plans.
I want to thank you for the plans to your beautiful glider
I will build the Guppy at a later date.
Very nice!
Dave
DogFly. is offline Find More Posts by DogFly.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 01:35 AM
Ljubljana Brnik, Slovenia
Joined Sep 2004
1,239 Posts
@Tom, templates are not meant for glueing them onto the material and simply cut them. They are made in order that you cut them with sccissors and transfer their outline to the balsa. All same ribs are drawn just once, so you need to look at the plans to count how many of the parts you actually need.
You can allso photocopy some parts to get needed number if you wish to glue them onto material and cut.
Allso the parts that are close together, you should separate them with scissors on the paper already, othervise, you cant cut them..especially with a power saw.

Mitja
ultralajt is offline Find More Posts by ultralajt
Old Aug 19, 2008, 01:40 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,239 Posts
@Tomu, very interesting approach to build a Guppy!

Show us more when you catch some spare time.

Mitja
Old Aug 19, 2008, 01:42 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,239 Posts
Dave, welcome in Guppy club!
Old Aug 19, 2008, 05:07 PM
Joined Dec 2007
55 Posts
Quote:
All same ribs are drawn just once, so you need to look at the plans to count how many of the parts you actually need.
Dear Mitja,

I would contradict to You, as the templates contain all the required parts not just once, but the required amount. I think unfortunately the template is incomplete: 1 sheet of 3mm balsa is missing with the following:
- 2pcs of R3 ribs
- all the ribs from R5 to R9

Yes, in the meamtime I printed the wing holders again, and I will cut them again possibly.

I thought, that the templates are for gluing them to the balsa or plywood as all other parts can be cut out easily and I could cut the printed paper with some staight cut into the size of balsa sheets (93-100mm wide)

If you would like, I will post some pictures.
Old Aug 19, 2008, 05:13 PM
Joined Dec 2007
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee3429
Tom:

The trick on the wing mounts and the holes in the holes in the elevator are as follows:
<p>
A very fine blade in a table jig saw does the trick, yes they are a little rounded but very close...If you want you can cut each part individually and then you can make perfect square cuts...For the elevator paste the template on with rubber cement all are saying spray glue but that stuff is hard to get off, rubber cement just rubs off and no problem..Drill a small hole with your drill small enough to get the blade from your table jig through. Cut about an 1/8 of an inch from the round hole edge...Same with each hole on the elevator, now take a piece of sand paper and roll it up and begin sanding the paper will expand as you take down the balsa...works great. So glad I can now contribute to the site I had a lot of help from others as well, this is a great group and many new friends throughout the world were made........Lee
I use the Spray77 with the following method: I spray the template paper, then wait ~1 minute, then I dub it to the balsa. It is like a sticker.

Thanks for the tip for making the holes to the elevator. But I think the balsa is not so hard to cut it out with jigsaw, firstly I will try to cut it with a sharp scalpel.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:04 AM
sKrude up, Rejected!
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Jun 2008
3,186 Posts
Quote:
Dave, welcome in Guppy club!
Thanks Mitja,
It's a beautiful Glider you have shared with us!
Thank you again,
Dave
DogFly. is offline Find More Posts by DogFly.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 03:54 PM
Joined Dec 2007
55 Posts
pictures were not seen

First thanks for all the suggestions.

So this morning's state:
fuselage is laminated, nose is glued, other parts are cut and are in the box

my building board (step-proof styrofoam). I have printed both left and right wing in 1:1 scale and laminated them together with Spray 77. This is ideal for paper gluing, because it does not wet the paper, so the paper will not be wavie, nor will stretch.
So in the picture left wing is upside and right wing is downside.

And how I cut the holes in the elevator:

Then I have glued a small piece of sanding paper (coarse: 100) to a 100mm nail. I cut the nail and I chucked it into a akku-powered drill machine and sanded the holes inside.
Last edited by buzziehv; Aug 22, 2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 05:14 PM
Joined Apr 2006
15 Posts
Hello,

This is my litle fish.

Nikola
mobicat is offline Find More Posts by mobicat
Old Aug 22, 2008, 12:39 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,239 Posts
Nikola, very good job!