SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 07, 2008, 03:40 PM
Joined Jan 2008
102 Posts
Discussion
Trex 600N or Trex 600N Pro

If I go with a Trex 600N....

Do I want the Standard Trex 600 belt driven or the PRO which is the shaft driven tail?
Scotty T is offline Find More Posts by Scotty T
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2008, 05:48 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,594 Posts
You'll be happy with either one. They each have their strengths, and weakness's. The TT will rob less power on autos, though you could strip the gears out easier if you hit the tail on the ground.

I had a sport and was quite happy with it.

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 07, 2008, 07:23 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,087 Posts
Unless you are a real expert and never hit the tail blades on the ground get the belt drive version. For 99% of us a belt driven tail is the best.

I have a Trex 600E with a belt drive and it never gives any problems. I have had a lot of other problems but not with the belt drive.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Apr 07, 2008, 10:08 PM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,720 Posts
Also, if you bend a boom with a TT, you usually have to replace gears and a torque tube in addition to the boom. With a belt drive, you usually just have to replace the boom and, rarely, the belt. I have a Pro and plan to convert it to belt drive the next time I have damage to the TT or gears.
TheBum is offline Find More Posts by TheBum
Old Apr 07, 2008, 11:02 PM
Joined Dec 2007
845 Posts
TheBum

You said "if you bend a boom with a t/t, you usually have to replace gears and a torque tube in addition to the boom."

That is not necessarily true, as it depends on the design of the torque tube system. I have flown a number of t/t systems, have bent the booms and did not have to replace the t/t or any gears. If it is a design like that in my Raven or Predator, which has a U-joint dog-bone at both ends of the t/t, then the boom can suffer a fair bend without damaging the t/t. But, I do not know if the Align t/t is that type of design.

Of course, a boom strike that flattens and kinks the boom, then the t/t will be damaged. But I have also cut or damaged belts bad enough (ripped teeth off of them) in such situations to require replacing them also.

What I really like about the dog-bone design t/t systems, is that once set up, they do not need any further maintenance, they do not need tension adjustments, or wear out because they were tensioned a bit too tight (which can wear out the toothed pulleys very quickly also). The t/t system also does not have the guide pulley wear problems seen in a number of belt systems.

Just as there are different designs of belt drive systems, that differ greatly in their advantages and disadvantages. So are there different designs of t/t systems that also differ in their ads & disads.
Cyclick is offline Find More Posts by Cyclick
Old Apr 08, 2008, 07:33 AM
Joined Jan 2008
102 Posts
OK, cool, so now I'm confused.

This is going to be my first Nitro. I have a Trex 450 and a few other 400 class helis.

I'm ready....

Should I go with the t/t or the belt driven?
Old Apr 08, 2008, 09:50 AM
Joined Aug 2007
81 Posts
I just maidened my 600N pro 2 days ago, so I'll share my thoughts on it.

I can proficiently fly my 450 V2, and have no problem keeping the tail off the ground, so I went with the pro. For a beginner that is learning autos, or not very familar with heli's in general the belt is definetely a better option.

I fly 3D with both my heli's and the 600N is outstanding. It will Tic-Toc till you're out of gas. I think you'd be happy with either one, I jsut went with the pro because I knew that I would want to upgrade later if I didn't.

My .0002
stg099 is offline Find More Posts by stg099
Old Apr 08, 2008, 10:49 AM
McKinney, TX
Joined May 2007
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclick
You said "if you bend a boom with a t/t, you usually have to replace gears and a torque tube in addition to the boom."

That is not necessarily true, as it depends on the design of the torque tube system. I have flown a number of t/t systems, have bent the booms and did not have to replace the t/t or any gears. If it is a design like that in my Raven or Predator, which has a U-joint dog-bone at both ends of the t/t, then the boom can suffer a fair bend without damaging the t/t. But, I do not know if the Align t/t is that type of design.
It isn't. It's a rigid rod.
TheBum is offline Find More Posts by TheBum
Old Apr 08, 2008, 12:19 PM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
3,508 Posts
Save yourself some money and agrivation and get the sport, upgrade the canopy when you get a chance and the frames if you must but I prefer the G10 personally for the price. You have a ways to go to appreciate the small power gain of a torque tube tail.
barracudahockey is offline Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Apr 08, 2008, 02:34 PM
Joined Jan 2008
102 Posts
what kind of flight time do you get off a 600E?
Old Apr 23, 2008, 01:04 AM
United States, VA, Ashburn
Joined Oct 2004
96 Posts
4.5-7.5 mins depending on flying style, HS, motor, etc. Most are getting about 5.5-6 mins.
ElectricDurango is offline Find More Posts by ElectricDurango
Old Apr 23, 2008, 06:35 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,087 Posts
I have an 8s setup and get about 7-8 minutes. I really love the 600E. Since I got that helicopter my nitro birds most sit on the ground.

I have an 8s setup and get about 7 minutes. I really love the 600E. Since I got that helicopter my nitro birds most sit on the ground.

Neu Motors 1515/2Y
Two Max Amps 4200 4s LiPo battery (makes a 8s 4200 pack)
CC HV ESC
Governor settings: 1800, 1975, 2050
Futaba 7C-2.4 radio (much better than my DX7)

Old Apr 24, 2008, 12:58 AM
Joined Dec 2007
845 Posts
If it is not a torque tube drive system with a dogbone type of coupling system, then you would be better as a beginner with their belt drive version.
Cyclick is offline Find More Posts by Cyclick
Old Apr 24, 2008, 06:24 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclick
If it is not a torque tube drive system with a dogbone type of coupling system, then you would be better as a beginner with their belt drive version.
The torque tube drive is very fragile Ė I have had no problems with the belt drive and I see no logical reason to change.

We have certainly flip-flopped on this issue. I remember a few years ago when the upgrade was to convert a bear drive tail to a belt to improve the durability. Thatís when all the manufacturers converted most of their helicopters to belt drive.

Now for some strange reason Align has decided that a drive shaft tail would be a good upgrade. They were probably looking for something expensive that they could sell as an upgrade. It was a good marketing decision because now they can sell a lot of replacement parts. Itís all about making more proffit for the manufacturer.

Old Apr 24, 2008, 02:14 PM
Joined Jan 2006
830 Posts
The true test comparison, relative to performance, is only achieved by comparing the same helis that are identically equipped and set-up. Then flying the snot out of each for say 200 flights or so.

I have done so with a number of models that have offered both systems over the years. Consequently, I have become a firm fan of the torque tube drive system, not only for best performance, but also from a maintenance and durability point of view. This is because they never need adjusting due to temperature, they never need adjusting due to wear or stretch and they virtually never wear out....not so with the belts.

The only area that I found the belts to have an advantage (and a small one at that, when comparing to a better designed t/t system that had dog-bones at each end to allow the boom to be bent without damaging the t/t), was in a crash, were the boom was badly bent (and I have had many belts cut/broken in such mishaps also).

That is precisely why Thunder Tiger goes from a belt drive to a t/t drive when they go from their 30/50 to their 90.

Or that the Freya is offered in a sport version with belt and a hi-performance version with a t/t drive.

Or that JR offered the Vigor in a belt driven sport version and the Hi Performance version with a t/t system

And why here, Align offer the T600 with a sport version belt drive and the Pro version with the t/t drive.

But none of those above offer a t/t version that has a dog-bone type of universal at the front or at the front and back as do some others like MinAir and Century. IMHO, these offer the best of both worlds, so that even for sport flyers, they offer a better option then the belt.
syclic is offline Find More Posts by syclic