SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by pval3, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 09:23 AM
North Aurora, IL
Joined Mar 2000
400 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Dr.E

I've had several dealings with dr.E over the last few years and had nothing but great experiences. He's someone who will make things right.
jimmy6819 is offline Find More Posts by jimmy6819
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2003, 10:13 AM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,200 Posts
Trader Rating: 15
I also had a successful transaction with dr.E and I'm sure all will end well.

I do have several things to add:
He did take almost 2 weeks (and several emails) after receiving my payment before shipping my merchandise.
I agree with the comment made above. When you sell something ship it the NEXT day. It's common courtesy, IMHO.

Although this sale was only for $25.00 insurance and tracking is VERY cheap. Buy it, to protect yourself and the buyer.

It is not the sellers fault that it cost $12.00 to ship this item. He paid his money and expects his product.

I'm sure this will all end well and no one's reputation will be damaged.
dr.E does have a good rep on this board and it will remain so.

'nuff said.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Jan 11, 2003, 11:00 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Trader Rating: 32
Dispute resolution

A few comments about dispute resolution. Please note I'm not commenting on this particular instance as it sounds like the seller is willing to resolve, but only resolutions in general.

Paypal sucks. They will not help you get your money back unless the other person has the money sitting unused in their Paypal account still. Most people either transfer it to their bank or spend it, so usually the account is empty. I have read several instances where Paypal told the people to kiss off, it's their own problem. They may freeze the seller's account, but you won't be getting your money back from them. That is, unless you purchase their outrageously priced insurance. Then they'll compensate you.

Law enforcement has better things to do. Most of our issues are small potatoes to those guys and they don't want to deal with it. I have had 3 friends over the years file mail fraud complaints over deals gone bad. Normally a federal investigator will attempt to call the person in question to ask about it and hopefully apply some pressure, but they do not go to their house to visit them (wouldn't that be effective?) and they do not pursue it as a crime. It's a dead end filing fraud charges. Sounds threatening though, and sometimes that's enough to get the seller to follow through.

Credit card company- good solution. Some CC companies require you to write them a letter, some don't. But man does it work, they'll lock that purchase down faster than you can say "rip off". However, if you paid through Paypal and cancel your payment through your CC company, Paypal will likely freeze your account and send you a nasty-gram. Did I mention Paypal sucks?

So what do you do? I'm afraid the best viable option in resolution is to try and work it out with the seller. As distasteful as it may be, it's the best way. If you can get the seller's phone number and contact them directly, many misunderstandings can be bypassed. I've had 2 deals on eBay that went bad. I got the sellers' phone numbers through eBay and let me tell you, when someone gets a call and they realize they're not just scamming a number in a system somewhere but a real person that can cause them real problems, it shakes them up. Both times I had my items within days.

But by far the best solution is to be proactive and know who you are dealing with in the 1st place, and ask them to insure the package. Tell them you will pay for it. It's worth the peace of mind!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jan 11, 2003, 11:19 AM
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Jun 2002
1,181 Posts
Trader Rating: 106
Yup..I have to agree with Tres..Paypal sucks..

I`ve been burned once.I called the local Police department,they would not do anything,I checked with the Postal Inspector,they just give you the run around.

So the best thing to do is get all the info you can..if the person won`t give out a valid phone number and any other info you ask for than don`t deal with them

Check their feedback on ebay if you can..that is a good indication of their past history

Mike
mlehman is offline Find More Posts by mlehman
Old Jan 11, 2003, 09:07 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,954 Posts
Trader Rating: 13
Everyone has a bad day - but two??

I am a very reasonable man.

I am a very understanding - I have a 9 year old very independant little boy - I have to be!

If this was the first time I had delt with the seller and this problem had arisen I would probably just let it go and accepted the refund and go my merry way.

Unfortunately this is not the first time I have had dealings with this seller and this is not the first time I have had the exact same issue.

I know the postal service is inconsistent in the level of service and I know they sometimes loose packages -occasionally!!!

This second shiping attempt of this particular item will mark the 4th occurance that the post office has lost a shipment between this seller and my home . . . . . . . . . . . .what are the odds???

When I ship something out I make sure I keep a record of the transaction until the buyer receives it so that I can go back if need be and reference the date and time of the shipment. according to the seller, none exists.

Whatever the past practice of this seller, I can only judge by that which I have experienced with my own dealings and I am not impressed.

Phil
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
Old Jan 11, 2003, 10:19 PM
"HE CRASHES"
Hasbrouck Hts, New Jersey , United States
Joined Oct 2000
974 Posts
Trader Rating: 14
Let me see if I have the story right.

We are talking about a $25.00 transmitter correct?

He shipped on such and such a date. You never got it. It came back to him. He resent it to you. You never got. He refunded you the money and told you to keep it if and when you get it.
And your still not satisfied?

Due you really think all this is worth a $25.00 transmitter?

Last time I checked you could not send blood over the Internet !!!!!
GoodTill is offline Find More Posts by GoodTill
Old Jan 12, 2003, 08:09 AM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,954 Posts
Trader Rating: 13
value is not this issue

Whether it is a .10 cent servo arm or a $150,000 lamorgini, the duty due by the seller still exists.

I have been using usps, ups, fedex and airborne for years to ship custom built airplanes and parts to customers throughout the world for years.

Even while shipping to Hong Kong, I have never had a transaction take 2 months to execute. If the package was sent from the west coast priority usps it should have taken 3 days to go and one week to come back the first time, that leaves us three weeks of down time, had it been shipped on December 22, it should have arrived by the 27th due to the holiday rush. This leaves us with yet another two weeks of string along.

I can say that a "reasonable man" would exercise the slightest bit of diligence and make sure that a receipt was held when a package came back - for whatever reason - from a buyer to ensure that the transaction completed properly the second time.

Let us not forget that this is the second transaction that has ended the same way from this seller.

I can say that the post office is consistent from time to time with mistakes - but we are talking about 4 mistakes in a row from the same seller.

If I lived in podunk mountainville and my postman had to get to my home by pack mule I could expect this type of service from the postoffice - - but noone else seems to have the consistent problems of this seller.

As the old saying goes . . . Im from Missouri, show me!

If the seller coughs up the shipping reeceipt from any of the 4 shipming attempts hs has supposedly made to me over the past year in trying to send two items I will formally appologize here in the forum . . . . . until then.

I judge by one's words and actions!
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
Old Jan 12, 2003, 08:26 AM
Tork it or Dork it
Elizabethville,PA USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,198 Posts
Trader Rating: 14
I bought a few things from Dr.E (carlos) already and it couldn't have went any better. The plane I bought from him was packaged up really good and was built really great. I also know him fron the different electric meets around here. He is a nice guy and gave me lots of good information that helped lots.
pval, I don't see what the so big deal is about the radio if you are getting your money back or if you get to keep the radio also if it comes in the mail.
Do a search on dr.E, you will see that others have lots of positive feedback on him and lots of good dealings.
Ryan Nau is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Nau
Old Jan 12, 2003, 10:10 AM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,467 Posts
Trader Rating: 10
what i don't understand is why does anybody use the USPS when you can ship Fedex ground with a tracking number for a lot less money. i find it hard to believe that a $25.00 TX cost $12.00 to ship. i recently shipped a peregrine kit to oregon [52x12x12] from california for $10.00.just my 2 cents worth.
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Jan 12, 2003, 10:54 AM
Los Alamos, NM, USofA
Joined Nov 2000
3,122 Posts
Trader Rating: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by dr.E
Let me get this straight, My reputation as a good trader has been smeared for 25.00.
I don't have a dog in this fight, but it sounds like you're smearing your own reputation because you're lazy.

As a seller, I ship Fedex with a tracking number so the seller knows it shipped, and I know when it's received.

As a buyer, I only send payment via USPS money order and priority mail with tracking and signature required.

Is all of this a pain? Yes. Protecting my reputation as an honest buyer and seller... priceless.

My .02 cents are up,
Daren
Daren is online now Find More Posts by Daren
Last edited by Daren; Jan 12, 2003 at 11:12 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 11:46 AM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,563 Posts
Trader Rating: 308
I have been more than fair in dealing with this issue. Why don't you post the private messages and emails I sent you. I offered to refund your money and for you to keep the package when it showed up, while it was in transit the first time (early December). The package has been sent out for some time now and your money has been refunded keep them both!!!!

You call yourself a reasonable person, read your personal emails:

"This is an unacceptable resolution to this issue.

You will have to provide the radio sold or a replacement, that is all that is acceptable to resolve this issue".

Is this reasonable?? This is extortion!!!!!

I'm sorry if you felt that you were SHANKED but I'm not tossisng any salad your way!!!!!!!
dr.E is offline Find More Posts by dr.E
Old Jan 12, 2003, 12:43 PM
Endangered User
United States, FL, Casselberry
Joined Jul 2002
1,313 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
It seems to me that returning the money and allowing the purchaser to keep the item when/if it arrives is more than fair. I think the seller deserves a great deal of credit for his handling of the problem.

Matt
MattLarson29 is offline Find More Posts by MattLarson29
Old Jan 12, 2003, 01:28 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
==Let us not forget that this is the second transaction that has ended the same way from this seller. I can say that the post office is consistent from time to time with mistakes - but we are talking about 4 mistakes in a row from the same seller.==

Have you ever hear the saying "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"? Take your money back and call it a day. I think the seller is being quite reasonable in his offer.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jan 12, 2003, 03:11 PM
Abbotsford, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
288 Posts
If you weren't happy with the first transaction, why would you buy again from the same guy. Although there is usually three sides to every story, it seems to me that dr.e has made a very generous offer to make things right. I think you should take the money and the now free radio and chalk this up as a good deal. I'm going to recommend that you don't buy from the Dr. again.

There, problem solved.

Chris
MrFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MrFlyer
Old Jan 12, 2003, 03:33 PM
USA, AK, Juneau
Joined Feb 2001
238 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Free USPS Priority Mail Tracking Number

The US Postal Service has a handy web page that creates a mailing label with a FREE delivery confirmation number to boot. I've found it very handy just for the nice mailing label it generates (complete with address validation) and considered the delivery confirmation number an added bonus. You only need to enter your return address info, and the address of who you are shipping to, then print the label on the printer connected to your PC.
Here's the URL: http://www.usps.com/cgi-bin/api/shipping_label.htm
Note that the USPS Delivery Confirmation Number is limited, usually only showing the date & time of origination, and the date and time of delivery - no waypoints are available as for UPS/FedEx tracking numbers. Nonetheless, it is still very handy!
MaxFx is offline Find More Posts by MaxFx
Closed Thread