HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by pval3, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 01:41 AM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,954 Posts
Trader Rating: 13
Shanked??? how do you know you have a bad seller??

OK all,

You tell me if Im being taken advantage of ?

I responded to a post here in the forum for an item for sale on November 9th.

The seller accepted my offer on the 10th, accepted my PAYPAL payment the next day and told me it would take a week to get a box to ship the item to me.

Week goes by, two weeks go by . . no email no PM no box!

at the start of the third week, I PM the seller, he responds that he will check into the things, he prioirty mailed it out the week before!

Seller does not respond to several PMs then says that the package was lost in transit and was returned to his post office , the address label was pulled off and returned to the postal center he mailed it from.

He sends me a PM tellling me he reshipped it on December 22.

He has not reasonably responded to any of my queries over the last two weeks for a status report.

I have sent him 3 PM requesting a copy of the mailing reciept so I can track my package that seems to be lost - again and he has not responded in 3 days - even though he is actively posting on Ezone . . . . . . . .

Should I go to the post office with the emails and persue postal fraud and turn him into paypal for fraud or give him the benefit of the doubt and wait longer . . . .

I am going to take the high road now and not disclose his name.

What do you think my next step should be??
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
Last edited by raythomas; Jan 12, 2003 at 05:16 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 11, 2003, 02:12 AM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
If it quacks like a duck...

walks like a duck, looks like a duck...it's most likely a duck. I smell a rat here, too.
I have made around 250 successful transactions from sources like Ebay, Ezone, RCMarket and a couple others online. NOT ONCE have I been burned. Why? Perhaps a couple of reasons, combined with a little luck. First, if the site has a feedback system, I let OTHERS tell me whether I should trust the seller or not, via their feedback on him. Second, I go by how the ad is written (gross spelling errors, hurriedly written or vague descriptions, no picture of THE ACTUAL ITEM THEY ARE SELLING vs. a vendor photo = beware), and also by what payment methods he takes. The ones who take M.O. or cash ONLY get my scam radar up. If there is a way to use my Credit Card, at least I have some protection and recourse. If I have any misgivings about the item, I email the seller first and ask if I can discuss it by phone. If he refuses, I don't buy, PERIOD. A phone call can tell you a lot about a seller. Lastly, I keep up the emails and in a couple of cases, I've made phone calls to motivate slow shippers.
I don't claim that I will never get burned with these methods, but they have kept me good so far. Generally, if a deal seems too good to be true...it most likely is.
Let the buyer beware.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Jan 11, 2003, 02:21 AM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,954 Posts
Trader Rating: 13
even the best / / / /

Hey Rick,

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, this guy met all the above posotive items . . that was why I did business with him in the first place either way, I paid by paypal .with my credit card . . I guess the credit card company could also go after him since I will have to challenge the purchase on my statement if the itme is not received!

I too have been both buying and selling through the common online forums / sites for a long time and have had, overall, awesone experience with the folks doing both buying and selling . .occasionally you get burned..... but not anymore often than you would buying used items at a flea market or swap meets.

I take pride in taking care of the folks who buy stuff from my and use Buy Now options for buyers so noone overpays for an item (use to happen a lot - folks dont pay attention to what something is really worth then spend way too much . . I just couldnt ethically do that).

When something arrives broken, I take care of it by either dealing with the post office on an insurance claim for them and refunding their money. Some dont though . . I believe in treating folks as I like to be treated . . .otherwize quid pro quo!

Phil
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
Last edited by pval3; Jan 11, 2003 at 02:26 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 02:27 AM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,386 Posts
Trader Rating: 393
A patient man!!!

Wow, you are quite a more patient man than I.

Now correct me if my math is wrong, 2 months?

Not only as a buyer, but also as a seller here, other boards and auctions, I am aware that when I accept funds through PayPal I am required to ship within 7 days. I normally ship within 3 days. I also usually send an email informing the buyer that the item has been shipped and ask to let me know when it has arrived, even though I use delivery confirmation.

Now, sometimes problems can occur, but communication is needed. Lets give him the benefit of the doubt about the lost and return situation, it can happen. Still 2 1/2 weeks later and nothing to show, mmmm.

Opinions vary at a rate of 2.5 per person. Perhaps a simple request to PayPal for options. At this point, I would be requesting a refund if possible. Another call to whomever is supposed to be shipping could help, but unlikely without a tracking number or some other reference.

I amend you for trying to handle this in a Gentleman's manner. Being a child is easy, sticks and stones and all.

I do hope that you find resolve in this manner quickly.

Good Luck,

Jared
jcstalls is offline Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2003, 02:39 AM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
If it were me, my next move would be to email/PM the person and ask for a phone # to call him and discuss the problem. If it is some legitimate problem on his end, he shouldn't object. It's a little harder to lie effectively by phone than by PM and email, and you'll be able to smell the BS stories if they start. If you can't get it resolved that way, then the next step is to try to recover thru PayPal (good luck here, you'll need it). Your credit card's bank transfers money to PayPal, not directly to the seller, so they probably won't help you since there wasn't a problem with the PayPal transaction.
Give the guy a reasonable deadline that you expect to see your stuff at your door with no excuses, then tell him that if it doesn't happen, you will do whatever you have to do to get your money back.

Then do it.

Then warn the rest of us.

Good luck,

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Jan 11, 2003, 02:47 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Trader Rating: 61
I don't understand why you don't post this person's name. What honor is there in honoring a dishonest person?

Send the person and email saying you will post his name in 24 hours if you don't get a tracking number of the package. None of us want to get burned by this person.

And I understand having problems shipping. I sold TX to a fellow and inspected it and told him I could send his money back or ship it to hitec and then send it to him. He opted for the later. I got the radio back and then left the TX at work for a week, and then went on a business trip for another week. The guy was fit to be tied. I apologized profusely, refunded 1/3 of his money, and shipped the radio to him. Not a good deal but the best I could do, and they guy got a really good deal on the radio.

Post his name....

j
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old Jan 11, 2003, 06:41 AM
USA, IN, Nineveh
Joined Apr 2002
2,404 Posts
Trader Rating: 299
I don't understand your question. "How do you know you have a bad seller."

This Guy may not be a crook, He may just be lazy and irresponsible. But he is definitely a bad seller. A good seller takes the responsibility for shipping in a timely manner and making sure that the buyer gets the item. Even if he eventually ships your part to you, I would never want to buy from him. I just recently got stung in a similar deal and I hope that nobody else buys from the guy that took me. He had all of the same excuses.

I have had hundreds of good transactions on the net. When I sell something, I ship it on the next day after being paid, unless it is a Sunday.

Good luck,

Tim
tdearth is offline Find More Posts by tdearth
Old Jan 11, 2003, 06:55 AM
Endangered User
United States, FL, Casselberry
Joined Jul 2002
1,315 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Re: even the best / / / /

Quote:
Originally posted by pval3
Hey Rick,

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately, this guy met all the above posotive items . . that was why I did business with him in the first place either way, I paid by paypal .with my credit card . . I guess the credit card company could also go after him since I will have to challenge the purchase on my statement if the itme is not received!

-SNIP-

Phil
A word of warning here - your credit card company will charge back against PayPal. PayPal will then freeze your account adn be a big pain in the tail from there on in. See http://www.paypallsucks.com for details on this.

If you do take the issue to your crdeit card provider, be sure to get all funds out of your PayPal account and tell your bank not to allow them ACH debit access to your account before you have the card company issue the chargeback.

Matt
MattLarson29 is offline Find More Posts by MattLarson29
Old Jan 11, 2003, 07:00 AM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,578 Posts
Trader Rating: 320
The package was initially sent six weeks ago and was returned by the post office. I re-sent the package two weeks ago through regular mail. I have no way of tracking it because there is no tracking number nor insurance. The transaction was for 25.00 and it has cost me 12.00 to mail it. I did not insure it due to the low purchase price and have told you many times that I would gladly refund your 25.00 and you could keep the radio once it got there. I have not mislead you. Why would I want to keep that radio. I have contacted you many times through emails. offered to refund the 25.00 and for you to keep the radio when it shows up (at least in three separate emails) and also said for you to send me a paypal request for the 25.00 for me to pay you whenever you wanted. I also sent you my telephone number.

Let me get this straight, My reputation as a good trader has been smeared for 25.00.
dr.E is online now Find More Posts by dr.E
Last edited by dr.E; Jan 11, 2003 at 12:49 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 07:23 AM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2003
7 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
Bad seller good seller

Hi Guys just a note to let you know how I conduct buisiness online
first of all I don't use paypal because they stink andI have had many problems trying to get my money out of them it seems like they just want to keep it for a few more days to collect more interest on it, Next whenever I offer items for sale I always give the buyer my AMA# and my Phone # and mailing info, I also offer a money back guarantee on the items I sell, I only accept money orders as they can be tracked by the post office if lost although you have to wait 60 days for processing in most cases if I sell something I offer to send items out before I get money and say that money and Item will cross in the mail most people are honest
and won't burn me but I always ask for a phone # so that I can talk to a buyer or seller before transaction takes place you can tell alot about a buyer or seller by talking to them, as far as posting pictures goes I don't put too much stock in them because alot of stuff looks real good in pictures when it is not and alot of
]guys just don't have digital cameras or don't know how to post pictures like me for instance this is why I supply as much personal info as I can and I don't use a handle as a user name what you see is my real name, bottom line, most guys that use these forums are honest and the ones that aren't should have thier names and handles posted regularly so that te rest of us don't get burned thanks for reading this Eric Giorgiantonio
Eric Giorgianto is offline Find More Posts by Eric Giorgianto
Old Jan 11, 2003, 07:28 AM
Endangered User
United States, FL, Casselberry
Joined Jul 2002
1,315 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Quote:
Originally posted by dr.E
The package was initially sent six weeks ago and was returned by the post office. I re-sent the package two weeks ago through regular mail. I have no way of tracking it because there is no tracking number nor insurance. The transaction was for 25.00 and it has cost me 12.00 to mail it. I did not insure it due to the low purchase price and have told you many times that I would gladly refund your 25.00 and you could keep the radio once it got there. I have not mislead you. Why would I want to keep that radio.

Let me get this straight, My reputation as a good trader has been smeared for 25.00.
Uh, dude, nobody mentioned your name until you replied to this thread. Hard to claim smearing of your name if it isn't mentioned.......

Matt
MattLarson29 is offline Find More Posts by MattLarson29
Old Jan 11, 2003, 08:00 AM
New Jersey
Joined Jan 2003
7 Posts
Trader Rating: 2
shanked

Hi Matt, my intention was not to imply that someone mentioned my name as a bad seller I just wanted to give my impression on
selling and buying on the net it is unfortunate that everybody that is honest has to suffer for the few who are not, I thought you would like to hear about how I do buisiness online maybe some of my tips would work for others as they have worked for me for over 10 years, I have only been burned 1 time and that was one too many times, I hate to hear about anybody getting shanked, I feel like the guys that are into this hobby are some of the best and most honorable people I have ever dealt with, you may want to try and contact somebody that knows the person that screwed you and see if they can help you resolve the problem also you should post that persons name so others won't get burned. sorry if I gave anybody the wrong impression Eric G
Eric Giorgianto is offline Find More Posts by Eric Giorgianto
Old Jan 11, 2003, 08:57 AM
"HE CRASHES"
Hasbrouck Hts, New Jersey , United States
Joined Oct 2000
974 Posts
Trader Rating: 14
Yea, if i had a dollar for everytime I heard about this $25.00 transaction, I would be buying a HackerB50 9XL.

Sometimes stuff happens that is outside of your control, and it appears that some of us don't quite understand that. Be it from inexperience or other things, you sometimes have to stick with it.

We have all had a problem with somthing if you been in this business long enough. You just have to work through it.
GoodTill is offline Find More Posts by GoodTill
Old Jan 11, 2003, 08:59 AM
"HE CRASHES"
Hasbrouck Hts, New Jersey , United States
Joined Oct 2000
974 Posts
Trader Rating: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by MattLarson29
Uh, dude, nobody mentioned your name until you replied to this thread. Hard to claim smearing of your name if it isn't mentioned.......

Matt
Uh Dude,
At least he had enough integrety to identify himself before the feeding frenzy started. As often happens here.
GoodTill is offline Find More Posts by GoodTill
Old Jan 11, 2003, 09:26 AM
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2001
908 Posts
I dont know guys i have talked to Dr. E in the past (Charlie right?) and he seems to be a really honest easy going guy. I mean couldnt it acually be a concidence that the post office has screwed up. I mean like he said he wouldnt decide to rip a guy off for 25 bucks. But as far as not responding to emails thats a bad thing, maybe he rarely gets on anymore.
JStory is offline Find More Posts by JStory
Closed Thread