HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2008, 09:38 AM
Generally R/C Insane!!!
Newton Iowa USA
Joined Oct 2003
82 Posts
Discussion
Pitot Tube Install in plane

Hello guys: I am thinking about buying one of these systems. Could somebody post some pictures of how you mounted the pitot and static tubes in your plane? This is the only hurdle keeping me from buying a set-up from hobbycity.
rceagle1a is offline Find More Posts by rceagle1a
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2008, 11:47 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,305 Posts
I wouldn't consider it a hurdle at all..

It is very easy to setup the pitot tube..

I was going to put the pitot tube on my projeti on the nose, but did not like the angle it was at to the relative wind, so I took a short length of carbon rod and taped the tube to it to keep it nice and straight and then simply taped this to the wing..

I am loving my Eagletree..

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Apr 05, 2008, 03:22 PM
Generally R/C Insane!!!
Newton Iowa USA
Joined Oct 2003
82 Posts
Thanks for the reply Tram, but that install doesn't help me much on a 35% Extra 260. I have to install the Pitot and static tube away from propwash and in clean air. I'm hoping somebodyelse with a giant scale plane that has Eagle tree stuff will come across this and post a picture of their install.
Old Apr 05, 2008, 09:36 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rceagle1a
Thanks for the reply Tram, but that install doesn't help me much on a 35% Extra 260. I have to install the Pitot and static tube away from propwash and in clean air. I'm hoping somebodyelse with a giant scale plane that has Eagle tree stuff will come across this and post a picture of their install.

All you'd have to do is move the pitot tube out of the prop wash out onto the wing..

The pitot tube setup is a stiff plastic tube and latex tubing.. I'd just move the pitot tube out to the wing tip and tape the latex tubing to the wing...

Done..
Old Apr 05, 2008, 09:53 PM
Generally R/C Insane!!!
Newton Iowa USA
Joined Oct 2003
82 Posts
Hey Tram, Thanks that got me thinking I want to run this by billpa from eagle tree. Could I just put the pitot on one wing tip and the static tube on the other tip sticking forward about 1/2 inch from the wing tip. I could easily anchor the tubes to the wing tips with plastic loops and small screws. I could run the hoses down through the wing structure and then drill an exit in the tip to connect the tube to the hoses.
Old Apr 05, 2008, 10:13 PM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,305 Posts
Unless I am using my incorrectly, there is only 1 "tube" setup..

The stiff "pitot" tube and then the latex tube is what runs the "pitot" tube to the circuit board..

There is not a pitot tube and a seperate static tube..
Old Apr 06, 2008, 06:48 AM
Generally R/C Insane!!!
Newton Iowa USA
Joined Oct 2003
82 Posts
There is on the Seagull Pro system.
Old Apr 07, 2008, 11:15 AM
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,305 Posts
Shows how much I know..

I just have the simple V3 setup..
Old Apr 07, 2008, 12:38 PM
United States, NY, Mechanicville
Joined Mar 2003
1,203 Posts
RCEagle1a-
I put my "pro" onto a 27% MidWest CAP232 this weekend.. It was pretty cool!

I am considering the same permanent installation issues you are..

Yes, I think you will need the Pitot and the Static.. I did a temporary install with just the pitot tube taped to the wing, about 20" out from the root.. When I throttle up on the ground, I get a -30' change in altitude on the "Pro". This indicates to me that I am pressurizing the fuselage.

So, my plan: Install the static and pitot tubes onto one wing tip. The static will be perpendicular to the airflow, and will have the altimeter included with a "T". My Pito came as a small brass tube, So I would like to have it come out of the wing tip, and then turn 90 deg to face the airflow.

To do this, I am going to drill a small hole in one wing tip, and see if I can pass a music wire to the center of the wing (one piece wing). I should be able to pass it aft of the spar. It that works, then I will two tubes through the wing, having both come out at the center, inside the fuse. I will be able to disconnect at that point. I will then attach two brass tubes at the wing tip and epoxy into place.

Hope that makes sense!
davensocal is offline Find More Posts by davensocal
Old Apr 07, 2008, 08:42 PM
Generally R/C Insane!!!
Newton Iowa USA
Joined Oct 2003
82 Posts
I'd rather not throw off my lateral balance by putting both tubes in one wing tip. I would like to find out if I could put the pitot in one wingtip and the static in the other. But I don't want the tube sticking out almost 2 inches past the leading edge of the wing either as the two piece wings need to go into my wing bags for transport on my 35% extra 260. And the brass tube would either get bent easily or damage my wing bags.
Last edited by rceagle1a; Apr 07, 2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2008, 09:43 PM
United States, NY, Mechanicville
Joined Mar 2003
1,203 Posts
Well, I think you are OK to have one tube in each wing.. The static is just trying to get a pressure sample from outside the plane.

You could probably also mount the flexible tube to the wingtip, ot the leading edge, and then press fit the copper tube for the flight, removing it for storage. If you do this on the wing tip, you could have something to restrain the copper tube, maybe a small screw and clamp..

As for lateral balance, the weight should be very minor, you could also add weight to the other tip to compensate.
davensocal is offline Find More Posts by davensocal
Old Apr 08, 2008, 04:51 AM
Generally R/C Insane!!!
Newton Iowa USA
Joined Oct 2003
82 Posts
I guess I'd have to weight the tubes to see how much weight to put on the opposite tip. I'm thinking about making a sleeve coupler onto the brass tubes, when you get to the field you slip the front part of the tube into the sleeve of the rear half and then there will be a small plastic clamp to hold the tube in place.
Old Apr 08, 2008, 11:39 AM
United States, TX, McKinney
Joined Dec 2005
14 Posts
I highly doubt that on that large of an airplane that you will see ANY difference from putting both in one wing. Actually, build the airplane, balance it laterally, and put the stuff in the light wing. Even then you might have to add weight to that wing as the pitot/static tubes weight next to nothing.

Have you thought about just leaving the static tube in the wing and not sticking out? It could be sealed up enough to give you a good reading where the fuse did not, and then you would not have to worry about it being in the airflow and getting eratic readings. Just a thought...
joeycoates is offline Find More Posts by joeycoates
Old Sep 22, 2014, 07:50 AM
Joined Jan 2013
427 Posts
Does anyone know of a good way of cleaning a pitot tube? I planted my plane into mud and the tube is full.
Thorton82 is offline Find More Posts by Thorton82
Old Oct 03, 2014, 05:06 PM
Joined Aug 2007
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorton82 View Post
Does anyone know of a good way of cleaning a pitot tube? I planted my plane into mud and the tube is full.
You can try poking it out with wire and compressed air when/if it's dry enough. I've had some success with this. Or for a sure fix: http://www.eagletreesystems.com/inde...&product_id=85
misfire is offline Find More Posts by misfire