HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by lmopar69, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 04, 2008, 10:20 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Cool
Hangin with the Kiwis in Bamian, Afghanistan

The other day I got to fly to one of the places everyone wants to go. Its called Bamian (Bamyan), they spell it different ways. Its a New Zealand run base. Great guys too. The senior enlisted guy on the post walked us around showing us things.

Anyway, there used to be some GIANT Buddah statues in the mountain side, but the Talliban or someone blew them up a few years ago. They are currently being re-built. Im not certain of the entire story, but Im sure you can find lots of info on it on-line if you look a little.

Laters!

Laine.
lmopar69 is online now Find More Posts by lmopar69
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2008, 10:32 PM
Troy ,OH
Joined Jan 2004
1,813 Posts
very cool. looks like all is well.are they letting you do wheelies on those bikes. Maybe the Army has a few 4 wheelers you can play with
grumman5277 is offline Find More Posts by grumman5277
Old Apr 04, 2008, 10:37 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
lol yeah, I wish. Good old Uncle Sam wont let us play with motorcycles over here. Ya know, its dangerous... like flying around in a giant helicopter in a war zone is safe or something. Go figure!

nice to see you around again Jeremy.
Old Apr 04, 2008, 10:39 PM
Troy ,OH
Joined Jan 2004
1,813 Posts
Your in a giant sand box whats the worst that can happen
yeah maybe land wrong on something a kitty cat buried but hey,it washes off.
Old Apr 04, 2008, 10:41 PM
Troy ,OH
Joined Jan 2004
1,813 Posts
almost forgot. I take it your a memeber of the OHC-DC now.
Old Apr 04, 2008, 11:28 PM
USA, VA, Woodbridge
Joined Sep 2007
4,066 Posts
lol, hodgie davidsons. At least your getting to see some sights. Stay safe.
Justin
JustinMoore12 is offline Find More Posts by JustinMoore12
Old Apr 05, 2008, 03:19 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Thanks Justin. I'll do my best.

Jeremy, OHC-DC?? i cant quite figure that one out.
Old Apr 05, 2008, 09:58 AM
SlowStick Test Pilot
Yumastan RCAPA.NET
Joined Feb 2003
5,891 Posts
The Buddha thing is a shame as those statues were around a 1500 years old.
patrickegan is offline Find More Posts by patrickegan
Old Apr 05, 2008, 04:48 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,389 Posts
Yeah but look at the slope sites
And I bet like most of the Kiwi's no one flys slope DOH!!.
SteveW
P.S. Good work over there Guys keep your heads down.
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Apr 05, 2008, 11:38 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Oh man, there would be some awesome slope flying here. You should feel the updrafts when we crest the mountains.... shoots you up at about 1000 fpm sometimes. Awesome.

Now, the turbulence on the leeward side... not so much fun.

The Buddha statues were pretty cool. Wish I could have seen them in person before they were destroyed. I have only seen pictures. It is to dang bad that some people are dumb and destroy land marks like that.

Laine.
Old Apr 05, 2008, 11:46 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,576 Posts
WOW! Great pics again. I'm getting an education for free. I absolutely envy your butt with respect to being able to see/touch/feel other cultures! The damned unwanton destruction of historic sites just burns my a**. Does Hitler come to mind?

Dan
deckert is offline Find More Posts by deckert
Old Apr 06, 2008, 12:00 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
LOL, well, its good and its bad getting to see some of this stuff I guess. Babylon in Iraq was cool, Abrahams tomb, the Euphrates river, stuff like that. I can say I've been there.

The bad, well, being away from the family and "life" in general gets old. Only 4 more years till I can retire... then things will be NICE!!!

Laine.
Old Apr 06, 2008, 12:36 AM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmopar69
LOL, well, its good and its bad getting to see some of this stuff I guess. Babylon in Iraq was cool, Abrahams tomb, the Euphrates river, stuff like that. I can say I've been there.

The bad, well, being away from the family and "life" in general gets old. Only 4 more years till I can retire... then things will be NICE!!!

Laine.
Keeping the big picture in mind, you & your compadres are seeing, experiencing & witnessing things that will ever be preserved in the anals of history. Such views and perspectives are yours & yours alone but demand to be shared with the world. As such, a contribution unto & into history as mankind has ever had the pleasure & displeasure to introduce. Your pictures, expressed views & captions offer an introduction into to the perspectives of our service men & women previously unattainable in the anals of war.

Someday, you can present everything you've posted here to your children & grandchildren in the hopes of conveying the aspects of Democracy & Freedom while conveying the unilateral conveyance of understanding of different aspects of life & religion for the betterment of mankind.

I suffered the misgivings of 'been/seen there done that'. Yes the images are still present, however, they're not printable. Capture everything you can & make notes. "Your history" will & can have a definitive impact on future generations.

Dan
Old Apr 06, 2008, 06:44 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
You make a good point Dan. And you did it with really really big words! lol Very well put though, seriously.

Laine.
Old Apr 06, 2008, 10:34 PM
Plowin Dirt
USA, WA, Benton City
Joined Oct 2007
1,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmopar69
You make a good point Dan. And you did it with really really big words! lol Very well put though, seriously.

Laine.
Laine, I apologize for the dissertation, I suppose I could/should have summed it into this,

"Cherish every moment, where ever you may be, and hope you live long enough to convey some/all of what you've experienced unto some willing recipients. "

That old adage of 'Today is the 1st day of the rest of your life' is way truer then I realized 30 or 40 years ago.

Be safe..I thank & appreciate everyone of you.

Dan